Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Will we settle?

MulletMullitia is offline PP.O Ambassador
    Blog Entries
    Johnny Football is great but I'm backing Teddy Bridgewater!

Sorry Rick! Keep up the good work.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    A: I'll wait until Spielman has a few more drafts under his belt and see what kind of a team he builds before judging him. I'll also be eyeing how long he keeps Frazier. our record is more a reflection of Peterson's greatness than it is a validation of Frazier as a head coach.

B: I'll also reserve judgement on Ponder's "injury" until I hear more details. Not sure if he could have gone and didn't (Had a Cutler moment), or if he was hurt worse than he let on. We'll see.

Caine

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    A: I'll wait until Spielman has a few more drafts under his belt and see what kind of a team he builds before judging him. I'll also be eyeing how long he keeps Frazier. our record is more a reflection of Peterson's greatness than it is a validation of Frazier as a head coach.

B: I'll also reserve judgement on Ponder's "injury" until I hear more details. Not sure if he could have gone and didn't (Had a Cutler moment), or if he was hurt worse than he let on. We'll see.

Caine
    What's with the Fraiser hate? I mean it's clear that he is a young head coach but the guy gets players to buy in to his system.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    What's with the Fraiser hate? I mean it's clear that he is a young head coach but the guy gets players to buy in to his system.
    Getting players to buy into "your system" doesn't mean much if "your system" is the problem.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Getting players to buy into "your system" doesn't mean much if "your system" is the problem.
    Why is his system the problem? Under him we have an improved defense and Peterson's best outing. Is it his fault he was given Ponder as a QB? That seems to be Spielman's issue. When the QB does his job, this team is nearly unstoppable. I never get the feeling that he is being out coached. I get the feeling the team is not executing, especially on offense. The packer's game is the first time I felt players weren't put into position to make plays.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Why is his system the problem? Under him we have an improved defense and Peterson's best outing. Is it his fault he was given Ponder as a QB? That seems to be Spielman's issue. When the QB does his job, this team is nearly unstoppable. I never get the feeling that he is being out coached. I get the feeling the team is not executing, especially on offense. The packer's game is the first time I felt players weren't put into position to make plays.
    I agree with this too. Look at the difference adding one good player to the defensive backfield has made in the same system.
    Outside of a few boneheaded calls by Musgrave, the coaches have been limited by some players who lack talent.
    Upgrade the talent and the system and coaching staff will look a lot better.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MulletMullitia View Post
    First of all... I'm proud of the Vikings! Hell of a season. I will also start by saying that I will be taking down my FireSpielman campaign. Rick Spielman had the best draft in the NFL this year. John Carlson was a whiff but I understand the envy of the Patriots system. I envy it too! But you can't replicate Aaron Hernandez. At the same time Jerome Felton was the biggest impact FA signing in the NFL this year. Bravo A+ job. Your owner is happy and most of your fans are happy. But will he settle? Will he ignore our complete lack of receivers? Will he ignore Percy Harvin and allow a cancer to get worse in our locker room? Will he pull the plug on Ponder if the development doesn't improve next year? I'm scared shitless of a decade of mediocrity like they have in Cincinnati. 10 years with a good defense and not a single playoff win to show for it. Mediocrity isn't good enough for me.
    I agree- HELL of a season.

Now to the questions...

Will he ignore our complete lack of receivers? Yes, I think he will. Kind of. I don't think he is going to make a big splash going after WRs in free agency, if that is what you mean... There really are not a lot of good WRs on the FA list this year. Not to mention the fact that Spielman's ideal FA candidate is a player finishing his rookie contract and showing promise. I just don't know who we would sign. That being said, I think WR is going to be our highest priority in the draft. And with us picking #23, we are in the perfect position to pick up a good WR here.

Will he ignore Percy Harvin and allow a cancer to get worse in our locker room? I hope not. I love Harvin, but I think he is worth more to us as trade bait than he is to finish out the lastyear of his contract. How about a Harvin for Freeman trade with TB? Any takers?

Will he pull the plug on Ponder if the development doesn't improve next year? I think he needs to start tugging on the plug now a little bit. Yes, Ponder improved a LOT in the last quarter of the season - especially when it counted -, but we cannot overlook the first three quarters. Obviously Ponder is going to be in purple again next season, but I look to Speilman to bring in someone who can legitimately compete with him for the starting spot. Again, Harvin for Freeman???

Overall, I expect this offseason to start out frustrating for many, mostly because I do NOT expect us to make a big splash in free agency. What we saw last FA is probably what we are going to see again - signings of young, relatively unproven players who show promise. I think it is a good strategy, although also one that is bound to upset some people.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Paul Allen and Zulgad have both said that Ponder couldn't lift his arm over his head or even put his own jersey on. I don't think he was Cutler-ing it, although he didn't exactly RGIII it either...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    I agree with this too. Look at the difference adding one good player to the defensive backfield has made in the same system.
    Outside of a few boneheaded calls by Musgrave, the coaches have been limited by some players who lack talent.
    Upgrade the talent and the system and coaching staff will look a lot better.
    I hear you. We are leaps and bounds better than we were last year. I like what Frazier did with the team this year.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

kingpin9995 is offline Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    I hear you. We are leaps and bounds better than we were last year. I like what Frazier did with the team this year.
    Speilman failed miserably in what we saw Saturday night. To have your two backups with almost zero experience playing in the NFL is almost inconcievable. The Packer nation laughs at us today with the fiasco that was Saturday night. How do you cut Rosenfels in the final cuts and keep a spearchucker that can't read a defense if it hit him in the head. You then keep an arena league qb to back up Webb. Webb showed he's not even close to NFL qb material Saturday. It was embarrassing.

As for Ponder lets get this straight. He just benefited from the second best year a running back has ever had in the history of the NFL, with stuffed boxes to almost the ridiculous in todays NFL, and he finished LAST IN PASSING YARDS in the NFL. Teams that stand pat with marginal starters are plain and simple LOSERS and will never win. It's been over a decade that a marginal qb won a Superbowl in Johnson at Tampa and Dilfer. Those days are over. If you don't have a bonifide star at qb FORGET ABOUT IT. Ponder it is obvious will never ever be that guy.

I almost wish Ponder would have started and failed so we could get a hold of just how mediocre he is. Now we get that Webb was so bad Christian might not be so bad.. Not a good thing.

Championships start and end with names like Brady, Mannings, Rodgers, Warner.. Forget the rest. The days of building great defenses are over. It's all about offense and outscoring people.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast