singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Will Vikings' youth movement actually work?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    An article that craves for some optimistic discussion points to be added to it and nothing. Not one post.

Go figure.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Will Vikings' youth movement actually work?

Only time will tell. The team needed to be rebuilt from the ground up and it needed to change its upper management structure to have a General Manager.

I would still contend that they need a team President with NFL experience but this was at least a positive thing.

They finally drafted a QB to be a long term franchise type player and they are largely building through the draft.

All of those things were positive and necessary. Now we can sit back and watch to see if the right people were hired to run and coach the team and if they brought in the right talent.

I for one think that even if we don't win many games, if it looks like things are coming together for the future then the season will be a success.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    A youth movement with old but unproven coaches?

Randy Moss got it right, the Vikings organization is not up to speed. Green Bay and New England don't just draft well, they coach the new players into NFL shape too. Have the Vikings done that with Brad Childress or Leslie Frazier? I hope they will, but I have not seen much of it yet.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    An article that craves for some optimistic discussion points to be added to it and nothing. Not one post.

Go figure.
    Says the man who didn't add a single optimistic discussion point to the thread.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    It is difficult because both the odds and past production are not in the Vikings favor.

16 of the 20 players taken in the past two drafts made the 53-player roster. Are we to believe that the Vikings have drafted so well that so many of their late round draftees are NFL quality? Have they shown their ability to make drafted players into elite NFL players?

In the past five years or so, many of the Vikings leaders were products of other teams drafts and coaching. Pat Williams, Brett Favre, Jared Allen, Steve Hutchinson, and Antoine Winfield are good examples. Vikings drafted players, especially on defense, have largely been busts. With such a poor track record, how are we to believe that the Vikings will beat the odds with so many late round young players?

The Vikings do have some good young players; this is true. The Vikings also have a bunch of young players on the roster that will likely never be anything in the NFL and are taking up roster spots from veteran players that could help the team be better. The Vikings lack the balance, and that is scary.

That stated, if the Vikings are not likely to win this season, it may be better to keep many young players to find out which ones are actually going to be any good at this level. I suspect that is what the Vikings are trying to do. If I had more faith in the Vikings scouting and coaching, I would be a lot more positive about it.