sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

Will Viking games still sell out?

Might seem like a silly question but I was reading an article, can't remember where and it talked about the last couple years performance might cause a decrease in crowd attendance, especially if the Vikings have another season like this next year. It said that would affect broadcasting of games and possibly the new stadium deal. I was just curious from those of you who live in Minnesota and go to the Dome, because I always thought the Dome sells out almost every game.

It always seemed to me that the Vikings are Minnesota's favorite professional sports team, besting the Twins and Wolves even though those two squads have done better lately. But even Lambeau suffered from lower attendance in the 70s and 80s because of the Packers lapse. Just curious.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

Nevermind, please ignore this post...I'm an idiot. This article I was asking about was already posted by AngloVike. Just realized that...
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

There is another thread on this, but I wanted to answer your question about attendance.

When the Dome was built there was an agreement with Pillsbury that if the games did not sell out that Pillsbury would buy the remaining tickets to guarantee a sell out and avoid a TV blackout.

Back the in the late 80's & early 90's there were a lot of games that did not sell out, and Pillsbury had to buy the tickets. That agreement expired in the 90's and for a few years before Red bought the team they had a few blackouts, and some that were barely averted.

After the team brought in Denny Green as coach the team starting winning, and the games started to sell out. Since Red has owned them they have sold out every game, but that can change and they could start having blackouts again.

With the team playing so poorly these last few years there is a growing apathy for the Vikes! I have a few friends that have been fans for alot of years that have had it with the team, and have given up watching them or going to games.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

PurpleReign is offline Rookie

It was either SHooter or Sid who wrote that on Monday. It's retarded. There is a waiting list of like 7,000 strong. People bitch and complain now, but trust me....come August, people will be lining up down Washington Avenue to get into the Dome for a Vikings game.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

I have to disagree with you PR, I think alot of people are pissed off with the way this team is run and have had it.

People are saying that why should they spend the money when Red will not.

I say season tickets sales will be down 15% from last year.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Those people that are "jumping off the bandwagon" are what gives Viking fans bad names and it really pisses me off! I don't make it to many games, because I live quite aways away (ok 5 hours isn't bad, but it would get spendy to drive up 8 weekends a year for the games) but the dome should sellout every home game. 60,000 tickets or so in the metro area should not be that hard to sell that place out!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!