Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

Re: Will Vikes Look For Action from Jackson?

We have 4 solid DE's who are developing... as much as I want to see us land a huge FA or great pick, I just can't see it happening w/ the investments we have there.

I am in the minority that believes that James' knee never healed last year... I hope that with the proper surgery and rehab, he will be able to come back strong for us.
    Udeze is coming along as well.
    He may not get a ton of sacks but he causes pressure....
    I also think Edwards will develop and Robison has shown a lot; another year of experience could do wonders...

Again, I'd love to have a 12-sack guy as much as all of you but the more I think about it, we're going to have other major needs....

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

Frostbite is offline Coach

Well...this issue might depend on how quickly you expect better results from the players we already have that are young at WR. I am referring to Allison and Rice.
    My own feeling is we don't draft a new/young WR, we try to go after a top FA in the off season. We have enough Cap dollars that we might be able tgo coax a very good FA WR to come into Minnesota. There are bound to be one or two available.

I think other needs should be addressed with our draft choices.

Cheers!
    Where is Frostbite Falls Minnesota?

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"ThorSPL" wrote:
    We have 4 solid DE's who are developing... as much as I want to see us land a huge FA or great pick, I just can't see it happening w/ the investments we have there.

I am in the minority that believes that James' knee never healed last year... I hope that with the proper surgery and rehab, he will be able to come back strong for us.
    I also think Edwards will develop and Robison has shown a lot; another year of experience could do wonders...

Again, I'd love to have a 12-sack guy as much as all of you but the more I think about it, we're going to have other major needs....
    A penetrating pass rushing defensive tackle like Keith Millard or John Randle would be a better aquisition than another end. It would collapse the pocket and force the QB to move. That would give our ends a lot more sacks.It would also keep EJ Henderson from having to blitz as much.
    We have Spencer Johnson and Fred Evans to spell Pat Williams. They have played well in spurts. Not sure if they are the answer. And it's not easy to find a DT with the ability of a Randle or Millard.

We will need to replace what Troy Williamson was supposed to give us. A number one wide receiver that has speed and reliably get open as well as catch the ball. That may be easier to find in Free agency than the draft.

I think we have to take a safety in the draft. I also expect to see another Offensive lineman taken this year. I would like to see a late round project Quarterback taken to replace one of the two back ups.

If they take a DE and or WR, and they are BPA, I'm all for it. Not sure they will though.

One thing you can count on. A whole lot of players who are little known will be signed and cut, and some resigned before the season starts. In fact, a friend of mine just took his son up to try out last week. Hope he beats the long odds against him.
    The Vikings are looking for value under every stone. I hope they look up once in awhile.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "ThorSPL" wrote:

A penetrating pass rushing defensive tackle like Keith Millard or John Randle would be a better aquisition than another end. It would collapse the pocket and force the QB to move. That would give our ends a lot more sacks.It would also keep EJ Henderson from having to blitz as much.
    We have Spencer Johnson and Fred Evans to spell Pat Williams. They have played well in spurts. Not sure if they are the answer. And it's not easy to find a DT with the ability of a Randle or Millard.

We will need to replace what Troy Williamson was supposed to give us. A number one wide receiver that has speed and reliably get open as well as catch the ball. That may be easier to find in Free agency than the draft.

I think we have to take a safety in the draft. I also expect to see another Offensive lineman taken this year. I would like to see a late round project Quarterback taken to replace one of the two back ups.

If they take a DE and or WR, and they are BPA, I'm all for it. Not sure they will though.

One thing you can count on. A whole lot of players who are little known will be signed and cut, and some resigned before the season starts. In fact, a friend of mine just took his son up to try out last week. Hope he beats the long odds against him.
    The Vikings are looking for value under every stone. I hope they look up once in awhile.
    Two very solid posts.

ThorSPL, you almost have me convinced that they not only won't draft a DE but they probably might not go after one in the FA market.
    It doesn't mean that I will agree with that move if the staff so desires, but I will understand.

Jargo, I am not so sure they will use a draft pick on a OLmen.
    I do believe they will bring in a few undrafted guys but just don't see them using a pick here.

Again, rationale is that I believe they are happy with what they have with starters and Mozes (sometimes I find it typed Moses), Hicks, Johnson and Johnson seem to add some depth even though they aren't starter material.

I also agree that they will take a DT early in the draft.
    Probably 2nd or 3rd round.
    If for no other reason than to take the roster spot that will be vacated by Spencer.
    He will get some big offers from teams that don't run the 3 gap technique and the Vikes won't match them as he is just a bit small for our scheme.

I wouldn't mind them going after a guy Pat Sims JR 6-4/315 in the second round
    http://blog.al.com/trackingtigers/20...l_try_his.html

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12