Page 2 of 62 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Will Tjack ever improve

"StillPurple" wrote:
    Put it this way, a QB in a short-pass oriented offense like the west coast offense who has a 45 % completion rate, is not cutting it at the NFL level. I said it at the beginning of the season, and I will say it again: if we keep starting T-Jack, we go like 5-11. Tarvaris has shown me nothing that makes me think he can make it. He is not accurate. He panics and runs at the first sign that the pocket is collapsing. I don't like his mechanics. The only thing I like is the arm strength, but that is not enough (if it were, Ryan Leaf would still be playing).

Let's just review for a moment what a good starting QB in the NFL needs:

- Leadership
    - Accuracy
    - Ability to read a defense
    - Ability to audible and improvise
    - Pocket mobility
    - Courage and ability to stand in the pocket
    - Arm strength
    - Intelligence
    - Stoicism

I only see arm strength there for T-Jacks so far.

I keep wishing I could chill Tarvaris out, because he panics way too fast.
    So basically it everything T-Joke is not.
    He may have a great arm but I don't think he could throw a ball and hit water of he was standing in the middle of a lake.

tb04512 is offline Team Alumni

i think he will improve!

Thanks josdin00

DustinDupont is offline Team Alumni

"Garland" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:
    Put it this way, a QB in a short-pass oriented offense like the west coast offense who has a 45 % completion rate, is not cutting it at the NFL level. I said it at the beginning of the season, and I will say it again: if we keep starting T-Jack, we go like 5-11. Tarvaris has shown me nothing that makes me think he can make it. He is not accurate. He panics and runs at the first sign that the pocket is collapsing. I don't like his mechanics. The only thing I like is the arm strength, but that is not enough (if it were, Ryan Leaf would still be playing).

Let's just review for a moment what a good starting QB in the NFL needs:

- Leadership
    - Accuracy
    - Ability to read a defense
    - Ability to audible and improvise
    - Pocket mobility
    - Courage and ability to stand in the pocket
    - Arm strength
    - Intelligence
    - Stoicism

I only see arm strength there for T-Jacks so far.

I keep wishing I could chill Tarvaris out, because he panics way too fast.
    So basically it everything T-Joke is not.
    He may have a great arm but I don't think he could throw a ball and hit water of he was standing in the middle of a lake.
    cuz he would throw it across the lake onto land!!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

I can't tell for sure yet. It's still to early to tell after a handful of games. Until the O-line improves & offers up some pass blocking & T-Jack is confident that McKinnie has his back, I don't know if he can be fairly evaluated.

He has been throwing some incomplete passes, many of which are damn close, in which IMO, he just lacks touch & that can be inproved with time.

Others he has sailed. Is that because he is inaccurate or is it because he is under pressure or feels he is under pressure & hurries his throws without planting his foot. None of us can say for sure what is going on inside his head. It is all just speculation by fans.

Even Favre tends to crumble once you get pressure on him & rattle his cage a bit. We have all seen him be off target & throw picks once that happens.

Are the recievers getting open? Not as much as they should be, again IMO.

Personally, with the line we have & the receiver corps being as young as they are, I'm not even sure if a seasoned vet would have a lot of success with this offense.

One thing I'd like to see is a FB on the QB's left side to puck up any pass rusher that McKinnie lets get around him. Typically, from what I've seen is that the FB is protecting on the right side.

IMO, that's bassakwards. The QB can see the pressure coming from that side & can react accordingly. From the blind side he cannot.

T-Jack may have been brought in too early. Not because he wasn't ready, but because the O-line & the receiving corp aren't performing well enough & aren't ready enough to bring in a new QB.

It's one thing to rebuild a team one piece at a time fixing one problem before addressing another, but Childress is trying to do it all at once on offence & that spells disaster to me.

New schemes, new system, new receivers, new RB's, new QB's, etc...........

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"singersp" wrote:
    I can't tell for sure yet. It's still to early to tell after a handful of games. Until the O-line improves & offers up some pass blocking & T-Jack is confident that McKinnie has his back, I don't know if he can be fairly evaluated.

He has been throwing some incomplete passes, many of which are gol 'darnit close, in which IMO, he just lacks touch & that can be inproved with time.

Others he has sailed. Is that because he is inaccurate or is it because he is under pressure or feels he is under pressure & hurries his throws without planting his foot. None of us can say for sure what is going on inside his head. It is all just speculation by fans.

Even Favre tends to crumble once you get pressure on him & rattle his cage a bit. We have all seen him be off target & throw picks once that happens.

Are the recievers getting open? Not as much as they should be, again IMO.

Personally, with the line we have & the receiver corps being as young as they are, I'm not even sure if a seasoned vet would have a lot of success with this offense.

One thing I'd like to see is a FB on the QB's left side to puck up any pass rusher that McKinnie lets get around him. Typically, from what I've seen is that the FB is protecting on the right side.

IMO, that's bassakwards. The QB can see the pressure coming from that side & can react accordingly. From the blind side he cannot.

T-Jack may have been brought in too early. Not because he wasn't ready, but because the O-line & the receiving corp aren't performing well enough & aren't ready enough to bring in a new QB.

It's one thing to rebuild a team one piece at a time fixing one problem before addressing another, but Childress is trying to do it all at once on offence & that spells disaster to me.

New schemes, new system, new receivers, new RB's, new QB's, etc...........
    Very good post my friend.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

I think he will improve, but not at the rate we need him to.

Then, throw in the fact that I have deep concerns over his ability to stay and healthy.........
    Even if he does improve ahead of schedule, how much confidence can you put in him.

My bet, based on what I've seen of him so far.....
    He will be a very good backup who will be able to come in and win a couple of games for us if the OL has improved and the WR's can get open and hang onto the ball.

Take any one of those wildcards out and he might have problems for a few years.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

vikesfargo is offline Asst. Coach

With the win today over the Giants, Tarvaris Jackson's record as a starter this year has improved to 5-2.

BTW, he had no turnovers today and was efficient. The Vikings even converted on several third downs today with passing plays.

Go Vikings!

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

"vikesfargo" wrote:
    With the win today over the Giants, Tarvaris Jackson's record as a starter this year has improved to 5-2.

BTW, he had no turnovers today and was efficient. The Vikings even converted on several third downs today with passing plays.
    And with a couple of runs by Jackson. But what was that "slide" three yards short of the first down marker when he could have easily made it?
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

Yes he will. Yes he has.
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

Best game of TJack's career thus far for sure.
    He made some plays and good decisions against a good Giants team on the road.

Now let's see if he can do it consistently.
    Skol!
    Go Vikings!

Page 2 of 62 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast