Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Will (Should) The Vikes Favor A Running Game in 2007

"Del" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    Lots of balls batted down at the LOS, lots of pockets collapsing from the DE pinching. Lots of blame on the QB for holding the ball too long, when we had ZERO mid level offsive blocking going on.
    Not only holding the ball too long, but (with Brad Johnson) almost a total lack of ability to evade the rush and buy some time.
    Once the pocket started to collapse, Brad just didn't have the legs to get outta Dodge.

=Z=
    I sure felt sorry for Brad.
    He is still one of my favorite Vikings.
    I can only blame coaching. You knew what you were getting in Brad Johnson. Starting Brad Johnson and expecting Mike Vick agility to survive is no fault of the QB.
    Where are all the people who were bitching about how little Brad was getting paid last year hiding now?

I think Childress put a lot of faith in the O-line. On paper it was a force.....in the heat of battle it was mistake prone and fighting to get ahead of the learning curve. Which is why this year I hope he can try and do some of the things he wanted to do but couldnt last year. They line "should" be massively improved.
    He had a whole assload of faith in Bryant McKinnie that was misplaced, IMHO.
    But for 2007, I'm cautiously optimistic, because there aren't any new starters, all the players are the same from last year and the Big Chill has learned from his mistakes (I hope).

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Del Rio is offline Coordinator

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    Lots of balls batted down at the LOS, lots of pockets collapsing from the DE pinching. Lots of blame on the QB for holding the ball too long, when we had ZERO mid level offsive blocking going on.
    Not only holding the ball too long, but (with Brad Johnson) almost a total lack of ability to evade the rush and buy some time.
    Once the pocket started to collapse, Brad just didn't have the legs to get outta Dodge.

=Z=
    I sure felt sorry for Brad.
    He is still one of my favorite Vikings.
    I can only blame coaching. You knew what you were getting in Brad Johnson. Starting Brad Johnson and expecting Mike Vick agility to survive is no fault of the QB.
    Where are all the people who were bitching about how little Brad was getting paid last year hiding now?

I think Childress put a lot of faith in the O-line. On paper it was a force.....in the heat of battle it was mistake prone and fighting to get ahead of the learning curve. Which is why this year I hope he can try and do some of the things he wanted to do but couldnt last year. They line "should" be massively improved.
    He had a whole assload of faith in Bryant McKinnie that was misplaced, IMHO.
    But for 2007, I'm cautiously optimistic, because there aren't any new starters, all the players are the same from last year and the Big Chill has learned from his mistakes (I hope).

=Z=
    They are probably not hiding.....it just isnt an issue anymore. I was one of them and I still stand by it, if you are starting QB you should get paid more then that. Regardless if your coach puts you in a hopeless situation or if your team is made up of a WR crew that would barely make an arena team proud.

If someone made a thread about his pay I would post in it, but in just everyday conversation it would make about as much sense as yelling I LIKE POTATOES!!!! YAY!!

And I agree on Mckinnie. I think he has always been that way and I anticipate we will see more of the same this year.

If you promise to be smarter, I will promise to be nicer.

My posts are worth 6 of yours.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

With Taylor, and Peterson in the backfield we better have a running game, and a dam good one at that.. You are correct, we should favor the running game, but not make it so obvious.. If T-Jack has matured alot since the end of last season, then having a balanced attack of ground and air won't be a bad thing.. Jackson has the arm to throw the deep passes, the question is, will our WR's make the plays?

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    Lots of balls batted down at the LOS, lots of pockets collapsing from the DE pinching. Lots of blame on the QB for holding the ball too long, when we had ZERO mid level offensive blocking going on.

=Z=
    Well its damn hard to dodge anything when the DE or blitzing LB is matching your QB step for step in the drop.
    We got beat all day long on the outside rush.
    For the QB to scramble he has to have some blocking to scramble behind.
    When you are backing up with someone in your face I don't care who you are, your going to get sacked.
    On top of that how many dropped passes did we see last year when BJ did go with the quick release?
    The line and the receivers were the main problem last year not the QB.
    I think Brad got a bit frustrated and did try to force the ball sometimes trying to make something happen.
    We did better when Brad was making the calls at the line.
    However Chilly took that away from him which was a big mistake.
    I am just hoping they figured this all out in the off season and that the offense all get on the same page this year.

All we need is a line that can block, receivers that can catch, a coach that isn't tied to his clip board, and a QB that can execute.
    No problemo..
    ;D
    If those things come together our running game will be awesome and we will make the playoffs.

Also BJ got let go not because he was a bad QB last year.
    Its because the rebuilding of the Vikes is a 3-5 yr project and BJ doesn't have that many years left to play at his age.
    You will note he was picked up right away as a backup QB.
    If everything had come together last year and we had a solid chance to make the playoffs this year Brad would still be with us I think.
    I think they are realistically looking a couple of years down the road still and for that you need to have the future QB in place and Brad just didn't fit that scenario.
    TJ just needs the experience under his belt so we can see if in fact he can cut it.
    We would all like to make the playoffs this year but I think it is more important to Childress and the owners that we have a solid team that can dominate the division down the road than a tacked together team with a one year goal in mind.
    If you look at the contracts being given out to the main guys that anchor this team you can get a feel for when they think they will make the run for the SB.

WWBGD

thevikingfan is offline Hall of Famer

Well i agree with ur logic but i think that if we just focus on the run then teams will just put 8 in the box and then the only option will be to pass.That could turn out in our favor if any of our wr can gain seperation in man coverage but this is all speculation

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Good points all around!
    Nice Post RK!

Here's something else:
    We led the league in Penalties last year!
    Many of them were pre-snap penalties on the OLINE!!
    (someone here did a great job of breaking them all down a few months back...it's worth a look if you haven't seen it!!) I Swear, that we averaged about 3 DRIVE KILLING PENALTIES per GAME!!!
    If we can improve that by a third, it might mean the difference in those one-score games we lost!!

Everything points to us running the ball!
    Obviously its our strength, and will be needed to help TJack get off on the good foot!
    When Big Ben won the bowl with PIT, the ran, ran, ran right into the playoffs...and, then surprise, he can pass too!
    I'm hoping for a very similar approach...start off like, 60/40 and work toward a more balanced attack, as our young team develops.

And, I LOVE THE OLD SCHOOL APPROACH!!
    (seen my sig?)
    Ball control helps out the entire team!!
    Ball Control????
    Check this out, we were NUMBER 5 IN TIME OF POSSESION IN 2006!!

http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/OFF-TOTAL/2006/regular?sort_col_1=4&_1:col_1=15&_1:col_2=14

One more reason, I believe, the MINNESOTA VIKINGS are closer to the playoffs than most realize!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Nice post RK.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234