Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Will (Should) The Vikes Favor A Running Game in 2007

Whatever they decide to do, I just hope they figured out it doesn't work to throw 4 yards on 3rd and 8.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

The West Coast offense is a finesse attack that features both ball-control and big play potential. Ball control in way of short, intermediate, and play-action passing results in first downs, moving the chains down field and maintaining possession of the ball. A series of short passes soon add up to sizable gains, putting the defense back on its heels. Moreover, receivers who can run with the ball can turn short passes into long gains or even touchdowns.
    That was a great read on the WCO Marrdro. I stole the quote above from it because this "finesse" is something I don't see in the Vikes working of the WCO. Maybe I'm missing something. But "ball control" is what I was speaking of in my first post. Run first, pass second.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    The West Coast offense is a finesse attack that features both ball-control and big play potential. Ball control in way of short, intermediate, and play-action passing results in first downs, moving the chains down field and maintaining possession of the ball. A series of short passes soon add up to sizable gains, putting the defense back on its heels. Moreover, receivers who can run with the ball can turn short passes into long gains or even touchdowns.
    That was a great read on the WCO Marrdro. I stole the quote above from it because this "finesse" is something I don't see in the Vikes working of the WCO. Maybe I'm missing something. But "ball control" is what I was speaking of in my first post. Run first, pass second.
    I see your point, however, if you (not sure if you read it all or not) read all the associated pages you will see that the term "Ball Control" in the WCO is more associated with the pass.

A true WCO really sets up the run via the pass vice the way a traditional offense sets up the pass via the run.

The main goals for the fullback and running back position in the West Coast offense are to be able to block and catch. In this offense these positions also have to able to pick up blitzing linebackers. The most important value for these positions is to be able to catch. These positions in the West Coast offense will probably have more catches than rushing attempts.
    What I believe caught the attention of many observers was that Walsh and Edwards’ offensive philosophies was unlike previous air attacks that threw only in long-yardage situations or to surprise the oppositions. Instead Walsh and Edwards’ approach was to:

spread the defense over a much bigger area of the field, both horizontally and vertically;

create mismatches in the speed, size, or number of receivers defenders try to cover;

thrown on any down and any distance to avoid tendencies that defenses could key on;

maintain possession through the air just as other teams tried to do on the ground.
    That is what most people don't like about the WCO is that it is relies alot on the QB and Recievers (WR/RB/TE) executing short precise passing with a reliance on YAC for large gains instead of the dramatic deep pass to someone in the endzone all the time (Randy Ratio).

As I have stated repeatedly on this site.
    What we saw last year with all the checkdowns to backs was nothing more than poor execution of a good scheme.
    Trust me to say I don't think checkdowns to the back 3 yards out when you need 8, 9, 15 yds, was not what the staff envisioned but were a result of many things that broke up that critical timing required to run this offense (i.e. poor route running, miss reads by QB, pressure on the QB etc etc).

Again, I think our WR's, Backs and TE's fit the mold a bit better this year and we should see a more effective offense because of that talent/fit as well as the OL gelling with the blocking scheme as well.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

I read thw whole thing although I glossed over the bit about the offensive line because I think that's by far our strongest area.
    The main goals for the fullback and running back position in the West Coast offense are to be able to block and catch.
    Again, I see this as a strength with our running backs. I'm not sure about Peterson's blocking ability but I hear he's good.
    Again, I think TJ can be groomed. No one doubts he had a good arm and good feet. The rest can be learned. The question is how long will it take him to read receivers and not panic? Our biggest weakness is our pass receivers IMHO.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Del Rio is offline Coordinator

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    I read thw whole thing although I glossed over the bit about the offensive line because I think that's by far our strongest area.
    The main goals for the fullback and running back position in the West Coast offense are to be able to block and catch.
    Again, I see this as a strength with our running backs. I'm not sure about Peterson's blocking ability but I hear he's good.
    Again, I think TJ can be groomed. No one doubts he had a good arm and good feet. The rest can be learned. The question is how long will it take him to read receivers and not panic? Our biggest weakness is our pass receivers IMHO.
    I read somewhere about our first practice when the rb's did the blocking drill in open space the only two people who were solid were CT and Kliensausage......one practice doesnt mean much though who knows.
    If you promise to be smarter, I will promise to be nicer.

My posts are worth 6 of yours.

vike_mike is offline Pro-Bowler

Running all the way.
    You want to limit the amount of hits, but get him used to seeing blitz packages, etc.
    T_Jack needs to keep watching film, studying.
    rading defenses is not easy.
    Disguising defenses is what he will have to learn as D McNabb did.
    He can do it though.
    Just remember, it is a process.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Del" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    I read somewhere about our first practice when the rb's did the blocking drill in open space the only two people who were solid were CT and Kliensausage......one practice doesnt mean much though who knows.
    As Del says, it is early in the TC stages.
    Additionally, I am sure he agrees that is why it is important to get him in early.
    RB's transition easily to the next level when it comes to running the rock and hitting a whole, its the blocking that is the hardest for them to pick up.

Those blitz pickups (by all) are very important in any offense but are especially critical in the WCO.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Those blitz pickups (by all) are very important in any offense but are especially critical in the WCO.
    And that was exactly our biggest weakness last year and what killed us. When teams found out they could blitz us and rush the QB and pass all day on our secondary we were finished.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

Del Rio is offline Coordinator

Last year there were many times Childress had no back blocking at all. Which exposed us something fierce.

This isnt traditional wco here, he is trying something different. Towards the end of the season we would see MM or CT staying back to block, but I think he assumed he had enough talent on his O-line to let his RB's run free.....he was wrong, especially against teams that had fast DE's and longer lineman.

Lots of balls batted down at the LOS, lots of pockets collapsing from the DE pinching. Lots of blame on the QB for holding the ball too long, when we had ZERO mid level offsive blocking going on.
    If you promise to be smarter, I will promise to be nicer.

My posts are worth 6 of yours.

Lots of blame on the QB for holding the ball too long, when we had ZERO mid level offsive blocking going on.
    You hit the nail on the head there Del. Most of it wasn't the QB's fault.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast