Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    VikemanX84 is offline Hall of Famer

Will Our LB's Be Able to "Cut It"?

We'll beat the Colts. They are a very beatable team.

It hink what we are all trying to say here, is that our LB's season rests pretty much with Claiborne. If he can be healthy and/or effective, while stepping up in the leadership department, then we will just fine.

However if we can't, we'll be turning every which way trying to find someone who can be that leader and make sure DT and EJ are in the right spots.

Cottrell will help out a lot in this area, as will having a solid Secondary.

I love oursecondary this year, absolutely love it. IMO Winfield and Williams are both at the top as far as CBs in the NFC are conerned (Champ, Woodson, and McAlister are in the AFC).

Corey Chavous is one of the best at his position. Not onyl is he an almost sure tackle, and excellent cover safety, but he is quite possibly the smartest guy in the league. Brian Russel is so underrated it's not even funny. You aren't the INT-King in the NFL with 9 and have only average skill. Combine that with almost 80 tackles, and some Passes defensed.
    When it s all said and done, you ll have to admit we re number 1!

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

The Colts on the road won't be a pushover, but I think we match up well against the downfield passing game (as long as the D-line can pressure the QB).

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

nobody thought the chiefs would have been a push over last year either...
    "ted nugent called. he wants his shirt back."-george clooney, ocean s eleven

Viking_Spirit is offline Star Spokesman

We match up great against the Colts, and the game is on turf. Not to mention Moss will do better than usual because this is a monday nighter. I think we will beat the Colts.
    And, we will definatly beat Philly.

Vikeman, I also think Chavous is the smartest guy in the league. Have you heard how much time that guy spends studying film? Supposedly, instead of watching TV shows, he watches game tapes. Not to mention he does some very good draft analysis on draft day. He's a very smart guy.

Guns don t kill people. Chuck Norris kills people.

[quote="Viking_Spirit"]We match up great against the Colts, and the game is on turf. Not to mention Moss will do better than usual because this is a monday nighter. I think we will beat the Colts.
    And, we will definatly beat Philly.

not to mention, moss is playing against harrison. we all know what happens when moss plays against the better wide recievers in the league... :tongue8:
    "ted nugent called. he wants his shirt back."-george clooney, ocean s eleven

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Re: Will Our LB's Be Able to "Cut It"?

"SKOL" wrote:
    What's your take? The way I see it is our DB's are the strength of the defense. Winfield and Chavous will provide the veteran leadership, and Williams and Russell are above average, young, and good 'ball hawks'. I believe our improved DL can put some pressure on opposing QB's, so their downfield passing game will be non-existent. Our DT's are solid, and the inside run will be a non-factor. My main concerns are the outside rush. Will the new found speed in our LB corps make up for inexperience? And my main concern is our LB's against the short passing game, and more specifically the West Coast Offense's. Our toughest challenges will be Philadelphia (Does Andy Reed run West Coast?), the Pukers, Giants (Tiki Barber kills us), and Seattle. Detroit has improved, but I think we matchup well. And Chicago? Well they're the Bears.

Be nice...

I think one thing that a lot of vikes fans are forgetting about, is how winfield will help our outside run defense a lot. I think this is one reason why tice said he was so important to sign this offseason. Winfield is the best CB in the league at shutting down the outside run on his side of the field.

Winfield and the added speed and athleticism to our LB corp will definately help us out against the outside run. The pass coverage is the one thing to be a little worried about, with young LB's. One reason why dontarrious was such a great pick, in my opinion, is because he is very very smart. He is like another MLB on the field, the way he is able to read the other teams offense. He is very fast and athletic, and I think he will be an upgrade in LB coverage over crockett.

Tice has moved Newman to strongside LB, behind claiborne. I think his thinking there is, that if claiborne does miss time from injuries, we will still have a veteran LB on the field, in newman.

EJ in the middle, is what I am excited about. He has awesome instincts for a MLB and he will help our run D out a ton in the middle. With hovan, kevin williams and EJ in the middle of our D, it won't be easy for teams to run there. We will be able to focus our D on the outside, which will also help our outside run D.

While i do agree that our LB corp is the weak spot on our D, I still don't see it as much of a problem, provided claiborne can stay relatively healthy. Maybe i think this, because I see donatrrious as a pro bowl LB very quickly in this league.

For those of you who were wondering why we gave up a pick, to move up 2 spots and take dontarrious, we did it because green bay was very very interested in taking him. Green bay was in talks with cinci, the team we moved ahead of, about a trade. Green bay was gonna trade McKenzie to cinci, who needed a CB badly, and get their pick to take dontarrious, who they loved. We moved ahead of cinci, took dontarrious, cinci ended up picking a CB in ratliff(way to early), and green bay was screwed by us. So we got 2 in 1, by getting a great LB and screwing green bay.

3rd or 4th best lbs in the league

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

"VikemanX84" wrote:
    We'll beat the Colts. They are a very beatable team.
    They may be beatable, but they are most certainly not "very beatable". Peyton Manning can carve up any NFL defense. As improved as I expect the Vikings defense to be this season, I think the over/under for this game is going to be around 59 pts.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

VikemanX84 is offline Hall of Famer

Get some quick Pressure on Manning and good coverage on Harrission....
    When it s all said and done, you ll have to admit we re number 1!

RandyMoss8404 is offline Hall of Famer

"VikemanX84" wrote:
    Get some quick Pressure on Manning and good coverage on Harrission....
    Winfield held Harrison to 5 catches for 55 yards last time they played.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgAayphx7Y
    "He s done it! Portugal is through!"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast