Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

Will Our LB's Be Able to "Cut It"?

What's your take? The way I see it is our DB's are the strength of the defense. Winfield and Chavous will provide the veteran leadership, and Williams and Russell are above average, young, and good 'ball hawks'. I believe our improved DL can put some pressure on opposing QB's, so their downfield passing game will be non-existent. Our DT's are solid, and the inside run will be a non-factor. My main concerns are the outside rush. Will the new found speed in our LB corps make up for inexperience? And my main concern is our LB's against the short passing game, and more specifically the West Coast Offense's. Our toughest challenges will be Philadelphia (Does Andy Reed run West Coast?), the Pukers, Giants (Tiki Barber kills us), and Seattle. Detroit has improved, but I think we matchup well. And Chicago? Well they're the Bears.

Be nice...

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Will Our LB's Be Able to "Cut It"?

"SKOL" wrote:
    What's your take? The way I see it is our DB's are the strength of the defense. Winfield and Chavous will provide the veteran leadership, and Williams and Russell are above average, young, and good 'ball hawks'. I believe our improved DL can put some pressure on opposing QB's, so their downfield passing game will be non-existent. Our DT's are solid, and the inside run will be a non-factor. My main concerns are the outside rush. Will the new found speed in our LB corps make up for inexperience? And my main concern is our LB's against the short passing game, and more specifically the West Coast Offense's. Our toughest challenges will be Philadelphia (Does Andy Reed run West Coast?), the Pukers, Giants (Tiki Barber kills us), and Seattle. Detroit has improved, but I think we matchup well. And Chicago? Well they're the Bears.

Be nice...
    Yes the Eagles do run a West Coast Offense as does Seattle. I think a lot of it will depend on what kind of defensive schemes Cottrell decides to run. A lot of teams use some form of the WCO or at least borrow some of the slants and crossing patterns from it so I know Cottrell has been thinking of ways to beat it. I'm not too worried about that. We have speed in both our LB corps and our secondary and that will help out a lot. Cottrell is very experienced especially with linebackers and I think he will have them in good shape by start of season.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

sitandbehitski is offline Asst. Coach

Claiborne can if healthy (big if), but E.J. and D.T. are both young and inexperienced, plus E.J. could get a four-game suspension for beating that guy up, hopefully Keith Newman can play MLB, or we might be screwed.
    I may be an a$$, but at least I m a smart one

Well, if you guys remember, we shut down a lot of teams running west coast offense, even to the point where Tice said we had the answer to the west coast offense.
    Faster than a speeding Grady Jackson! More powerful than a Nick Barnett! Able to leap Ahmad Carroll in a single bound! Look! Up in the sky! It s a bird! It s a plane! It s Jermaine Wiggins!

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

WE did?

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    WE did?
    I'm not actually saying I had anything to do with it. Just a little fan-team association.
    Faster than a speeding Grady Jackson! More powerful than a Nick Barnett! Able to leap Ahmad Carroll in a single bound! Look! Up in the sky! It s a bird! It s a plane! It s Jermaine Wiggins!

Viking_Spirit is offline Star Spokesman

I think our LB's will end up OK. Claiborne will be good as long as he's healthy, but EJ and Dontarrious Thomas are inexperienced, but that may be able to be fixed by Cottrell, who brings much needed coaching experience to our team. He was a great addition in the offseason.
    Otherwise, our only problem is legal trouble.........and I too feel the secondary is now our defensive strength.

Guns don t kill people. Chuck Norris kills people.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"JimFlyinsaucer" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    WE did?
    I'm not actually saying I had anything to do with it. Just a little fan-team association.
    that's not what I meant. using the words "shut-down" and "vikings defense" aren't often used in the same sentence.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Viking_Spirit is offline Star Spokesman

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "JimFlyinsaucer" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    WE did?
    that's not what I meant. using the words "shut-down" and "vikings defense" aren't often used in the same sentence.
    They could be this year........we're gonna have a pretty good D this year IMO.

Guns don t kill people. Chuck Norris kills people.

dan3ski is offline Coordinator

Did you forget the Vikings play the Colts on the road?
    can we clone Bud Grant?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast