Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Will Kleinsasser Be Our TE or FB this year?

I don't think Franks is that great of a tight end!! Sure he catches a lot of touchdown passes, but those are all from inside the 5 yard line, where they do a lot of play action to Ahman Green. I can't argue with any of the other Tight ends that you have listed, but I have to disagree with Franks!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    I really hate to burst everyone's bubble, but do you honestly think that Wiggins ranks pretty high for receiving TEs? He's better than anyone we had but honestly:

Gonzalez, Heap, Shockey, Wiggins, Crumpler, Franks.

which name doesn't fit?

He is lucky if he is a top 20 receiving TE in the league. I dunno his career stats are not really impressive.
    True, his stats do not put him in the elite class of TE's you listed. But he is young and has potential. Looking at his stats though, it doesn't seem like he has been given much of a chance to build any real numbers. And also going by what the Vikings coaching staff has said about him since signing him, they sure make it sound like he has the potential to be a big time player. Hell, he's gotta be a step above what we've had at the position since Byron "ephedrine" Chamberlain decided to go on his double whopper with cheese diet a few years back.
    Even babies know the difference.

I thought Byron Chamberlain was a great TE for us!! Just my opinion!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

and that's the role wiggens is supposed to play for us. the byron chamberlain type role. i'm not saying he's tony gonzalez (wiggens is probably a better blocker...lol). but he's obviously no slouch either. i think as a unit, our tight ends are pretty solid
    "ted nugent called. he wants his shirt back."-george clooney, ocean s eleven

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    I thought Byron Chamberlain was a great TE for us!! Just my opinion!
    Yes, he was pretty darn good up to his pro-bowl year. But he wasn't released because he was a great TE. If I recall correctly, after that he let his weight balloon up to an unexceptable level for the coaching staff to allow, he had some problems with the banned substance ephedrine and all the while his performace dropped....and in turn, he was released. The Redskins thought they could salvage him but that didn't work out and he was cut by them. Now the Broncos are giving him a second chance. We'll see how it pans out.

Ya never know...if the NFL doesn't work out for Chamberlain again this year, maybe he'll have to sharpen his skills in the NFL Europe or even the CFL if Europe won't have him.

dan3ski is offline Coordinator

Chamberlain alway fell down after he cought the ball.....due in part to his injuries I think. Kleinsasser kept his feet and ran with the ball. He could in my opinion be an all-pro if given the chance.
    can we clone Bud Grant?

Vikerliker76 is offline Training Camp

Let's not forget that his biggest asset is his speed and ability to stretch the middle of the field. With the two burners at WR and just a lil speed at RB (lol), I look for Wiggins to have a very big year. He will suprise. Just watch and learn!!!!

PS Franks is a very good TE. His hands get questionable at times which is why you see so many short TD's, but the man can play!!!
    "Everything I lack, I make up in denial."

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

Wiggins stats are not very impressive.

In 4 full NFL seasons (but only 20 starts), Wiggins has a grand total of 50 receptions with 8 TDs and a 9.6 ypc average. Of course, what many remember is the Super Bowl game he had against the Rams. I think he caught 9 or 10 passes in that game (not part of his career stats). Yet the Vikings coaches obviously see something, as they did in Byron Chamberlain who was a career backup until he came to Minnesota and was a Pro Bowl TE his first year. He had a total of 72 receptions for the Broncos in his first six seasons with them (career best 32 for 488 yds and 2 TDs in 1999), though he never started a single game for the Broncos. As a starter for the Vikings in 2001, he caught 57 balls for 666 yds and 3 TDs. So if we see a similar increase in production from Wiggins, I think we should all be very happy.

Kleinsasser started his rookie season as a TE, but two costly fumbles in a home game against the Bears doomed his season. The next two seasons saw the Vikings try to play Jimmy as a FB, where he excelled as a blocker but produced little offensively. Since being moved back to a TE spot two seasons ago, his offensive output has continued to improve. He had 37 catches in 2002, followed with 46 catches and 4 TDs last year. He is only averaging 8.9 yards per catch for his career though, as the Vikings continue to use him as a safety-valve type of receiver. Only five of his 123 career catches have gone for 20 yards or more. I'd like to see the Vikings send him downfield more often, as I think he has the speed to beat some LBs, and then let Daunte hit him in stride so he can mow some DBs down at full speed.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

Jimmy should have been a pro bowler last year, but they sent overrated Bubba Franks (I think). I just like the way Jimmy plays, he is a hard nosed competitor and will do anything to help the team win!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast