Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Will Jennings & Cassel Take Up Most Remaining Cap Space?

Vikings Free Agency: Will The Jennings And Cassel Contracts Take Up Most Remaining Cap Space?

Rob Brzezinski, Vikings capologist, is about as good as anyone in the business in making big contracts cap friendly, and with all of Jennings' guaranteed money coming in the first three years of the deal, you would have to think that most of the chunk of the remaining cap space in 2013 will go towards that deal.
    Assuming the guaranteed money for Jennings is close to the average of the contract, which is $9.5 million, the available cap space for the Vikings is pretty much gone.

Vikings Free Agency: Will The Jennings And Cassel Contracts Take Up Most Remaining Cap Space? - Daily Norseman

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Minnesota Vikings - 2013 Cap Hits

Looks like they still have around $10M of cap room left. A good chunk of that will be needed for the rookie signings.

Note that Jennings cap hit for 2013 is only $5M. It goes to $7M in 2014 and $11M for the last 3 years. Cassell's 2013 cap hit is $3.7M.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    You mean we couldn't listen to the average rube and sign every single FA that hits the market? Shucks.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    You mean we couldn't listen to the average rube and sign every single FA that hits the market? Shucks.
    The Vikings have a lot of money tied up in Peterson and Allen. Too much money for a competitive team.

Matt Cassel? I guess the Vikings really want to push Ponder ...

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    The Vikings have a lot of money tied up in Peterson and Allen. Too much money for a competitive team.

Matt Cassel? I guess the Vikings really want to push Ponder ...
    Talk turkey with Allen to get that down.

LOL! As if you're not one.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Will Jennings & Cassel Take Up Most Remaining Cap Space?

I wasn't calling on them to sign all the free agents. I actually prefer at this point that they get rid of some of the older more expensive players in exchange for more cap space and draft picks.

I wasn't calling on them to sign all the free agents. I actually prefer at this point that they get rid of some of the older more expensive players in exchange for more cap space and draft picks.
    Getting rid of some of the older more expensive players is OK in certain circumstances, providing they already have someone on the roster that is about as good. Otherwise you're downgrading your team.

I'm not a big fan when they get rid of a player & then have to try and find a replacement after the fact. Find your replacement that you feel good about, then make the cut/trade.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Getting rid of some of the older more expensive players is OK in certain circumstances, providing they already have someone on the roster that is about as good. Otherwise you're downgrading your team.

I'm not a big fan when they get rid of a player & then have to try and find a replacement after the fact. Find your replacement that you feel good about, then make the cut/trade.
    If I were the GM I'd sure be tempted to put out some feelers for Sed Ellis and Elvis Dumervil if Kevin Willaims and Jared Allen aren't interested in contract resturcting their current 24 combined cap hit, I have a big concern that Allen will want at least 10 to 12 million a season in the up coming years and thats where the Vikings used the franchise tag for the next 2 following seasons; to pay close to 40 mill for 3 seasons for him isn't really where the current market is standing and we could probably get a longer term deal with Dumervil who is productive and younger.

It sucks to say that but if the Vikes can't get those reworked they should look at some options before they are gone.

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    If I were the GM I'd sure be tempted to put out some feelers for Sed Ellis and Elvis Dumervil if Kevin Willaims and Jared Allen aren't interested in contract resturcting their current 24 combined cap hit, I have a big concern that Allen will want at least 10 to 12 million a season in the up coming years and thats where the Vikings used the franchise tag for the next 2 following seasons; to pay close to 40 mill for 3 seasons for him isn't really where the current market is standing and we could probably get a longer term deal with Dumervil who is productive and younger.

It sucks to say that but if the Vikes can't get those reworked they should look at some options before they are gone.
    I would hope that since Allen went along to the dinner to recruit Jennings that he is thinking of staying here. Call it a hunch but I think the Vikings will get Allen a new deal this season to lock him up for 5 years. Wish I could say the same about Williams but I think unless he takes a big pay cut his days might be done as a Viking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast