Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Will Erin Henderson & Jaymar Johnson Make The Team?

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    Henderson: Yes
    Johnson: No
    I believe that Darius Reynaud will beat him out. I don't understand JJ's appeal. e is a speedster that didn't dominate his level of weeker compitition. Then we have Reynaud that Dominated his level of competition( in a very run heavy offense)

JJ seems to being looked at as a Return man. However, Reynaud is 10 times the return man that JJ appears to be. I hope JJ is moved to the practice squad and Reynaud beats out Ferge....After all that 20 bench press is impressive and might indicate that he is an excellent down field blocker.
    It doesn't surprise me you don't understand JJ's appeal. First off I would like to explain how JJ was actually drafted and ranked higher by our orginization, this proven because he was actually drafted him while Reynod was UFA. I like Reynod, I like his strength but as far as a natuaral football player, work ethic and attitude I give the advantage to JJ. JJ runs a very nice route, he's in and out of cuts quick and he has a knack for returning punts. He's probably the most talented punt returner we've had on our squad in years. I believe that two or three years in our weight room in the offseason programs JJ can turn into a great return man for us and a productive WR.

I think thats quite argueable, when drafting JJ Childress said he likes what he does in terms of returning the ball, if we were looking for a return man and Reynod was ten times the player I think he would have been drafted.

After all is said and done it will be very very difficult to make these cuts, I would like to keep both JJ and Reynod but this is unlikely to happen and I don't think either of them would clear waivers for the practice squad.

Erin Henderson on the other hand has more of an up field battle to make the squad, he's got very heavy competition there and I'm very high on Rufus Alexander who we are yet to see but was a 5th round selection. He's all over the field with his intesity and motor. This is an extremely intrisiting position to predict. Vini is a guy who started off slow but then started coming on after the injuries were dealt with. In the end the staff will do whats best for the team.
    He is? I haven't seen either JJ or Reynaud return punts in the NFL yet. How can you make that claim already & how can Kevin already claim Reynaud is 10 times the return man that JJ appears to be?

If you're basing it off of what he did in college, what their return numbers?

I don't put to much stock in what was done in college. It's not the pros & we have seen to many players not get the same production they did in college.
    The last time we had a real punt returner was probably Palmer. Ever since then its been musical chairs with the occasional big play from somebody like Moore or Burelson. Reynod being 10 times better than JJ is laughable and a perfect example of going overboard in a disagreement.

I havn't spent to much time digging into JJ's numbers, although the average on returns is nice. I prefer to watch the actual tape, the real mcoy, the resume. YouTube is loaded with Videos on this guy probably showing a good portion of his punt returns. He looks extremely smooth and talented in his approach to kick returning. Along with those things if you get a chance to here an interview the kid practicly drools over the thought of returning a kick. This type of passion cannot be underestamated. I've been patiently waiting for a pure return man and Childress posibly drafted him this year.

I agree its never a good idea to base a decision completly off of stats they created in college rather a combination of the actual person, attitude, work ethic, poise, thinking patterns added with the on the field resume. From what i've seen it would be a mistake to let JJ ever hit the waiver wire but we will see what happens. I can see a steady pattern in the way the coaching staff has drafted these kids, there is certain criteria in order to meat the standards. If you don't meat those standards your not playing for this team because you don't meat the standards set in becoming a contributer on the NFL level.
    Interesting, YouTube was and still is full of highlights of the explosive plays that Troy Williamson had in college. In fact I posted several of them last year in a thread about him and his Nike training. Apparently those YouTube videos occasionally fail to tell the whole story
    Yes sir, if You Tube is the only thing your basing your opinion off of your probably in some trouble. Although YouTube can show highlights AND interviews. In JJ's case I've taken the highlights, interviews, and the rest of the information I can find on him to come to a conclusion. The fact that he was drafted by our Team tellls me something about the kid. We're not pulling random apples off the tree.

On the subject of Troy I was watching his highlights the other day and found a new one, its quite obvious to me that Troy has mental issue preventing him from being a standout WR. This guy has some of the best speed in the NFL and his college highlights you can see him having fun, something I didn't see too much of here in Minnesota. Again Troy's issues are mental, if he can Iron them out he will make a terrific WR for the Jags but it was definitly time to move on. He has all the potential one could ask for.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Will Erin Henderson & Jaymar Johnson Make The Team?

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    Henderson: Yes
    Johnson: No
    I believe that Darius Reynaud will beat him out. I don't understand JJ's appeal. e is a speedster that didn't dominate his level of weeker compitition. Then we have Reynaud that Dominated his level of competition( in a very run heavy offense)

JJ seems to being looked at as a Return man. However, Reynaud is 10 times the return man that JJ appears to be. I hope JJ is moved to the practice squad and Reynaud beats out Ferge....After all that 20 bench press is impressive and might indicate that he is an excellent down field blocker.
    Tjack didn't dominate at his level of competition either. And how many guys dominated at their level and are not in the NFL?
    And TJack hasn't really proven anything in this level either.
    a better example would be Troy Williamson.
    He dominated in hes level in a run heavy offense, and look how he ended up.
    TJack has proven he's capable of winning games on this team. Last year he was an 8-4 starter in his first season in action. Granted he showed the expeceted tendencies of a young QB he also showed glimpses of being a very solid QB. As he develops as a QB we are expecting him to become the consitent QB he's meant to be.

How good can Tarvaris be? He can be as good as those very bright moments he had in first year. Once he gets on the consistent track things will change. In order to get on the consistent track he needs some help from his surrounding teamates. Previous experience will also help dramaticly, continuety is huge and we've been unable to ubtain this but with guys like Cook, Herrera, Hutchison, Berrian, Rice, Topeh, Peterson, and Chester we are starting to gain some continuety. This is underated by most but goes for our coaching staff too, especailly the offensive side. I believe we have good reason to be exited for year 3 in the Childress era.

By the way there wasn't anyone else as pissed as me when we drafted Troy, when the possible rumors of Troy being drafted so early were afloat I cringed. His production was nothing specail but he's a great track and field guy which lead to him being drafted so very high. Thanks to Mike Tice, there was obvious homework that went untouched in this decision.
    Yeah, and Trent Dilfer led his team to win the Super bowl and what did that prove about his abilities? Rex Grossman led the Bears to the Super Bowl too, he must be really, really good.
    For one thing you should go back and watch that game. Dilfer made his far share of plays in the SB in one of the biggest games of his carear. He did he very well but the majority of the team was carried by the defense. Dilfer did what it took.

Grossman on the other hand looks like Pro Bowl QB winging the ball then he just turns around throws games away. I think it was quite evident Grossman was very inconsistent and was very prone to making mistakes. We've seen some of this with Tarvaris but he's only played on season. His chances of being good are far better than Grossmans, based on his deminor, work ethic, his coaching and the players around him.

Just for the Record I think Tarvaris Jackson will be good.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234