cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Will Cottrell turn loose the hounds on Grossman this Sunday?

Another topic to chew on for tomorrow. I think that Cottrell needs to light a fire under the D and by getting to Gross early it could positively affect the outcome. We need some getting back to the aggressiveness of last year and getting some picks in the secondary.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

hawaiianvike21 is offline Team Alumni

Ya i was thinking the same thing, rattle grossman as hes still a young qb with not a whole lot of experience. We need to stop the run big time if we want to pressure him. Bears had a good day running i believe last week against the packers.

I can see some early blitzes to throw him off as well.
    Hupo oe ke kau ana i ka waiupa a ma kou pa o & Hupo na Po o waiupa a

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Cottrell say during the first part of preseason that they were going to be more agressive than last year and Blitz and stunt more.

What we have seen is a very passive soft defense, Playing 10 yards off receivers, not blitzing much.

We are playing not to lose, we are not playing to win with our defense.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Our offense is the side of the ball that needs to play to win, specifically score in the red zone.

Big C is offline Coordinator

I live in Chicago so have to watch the Bears to get my football fix. Don't under-estimate Grossman. He is WAAAAAY better than Chandler and Stewart. He has great pocket presence and awareness. So I don't expect him to get sacked too often. His weakness is that he tends to missfire a couple of passes. The key to beating the Bears is to pile up some points early and have them try to erase the defecit in the second half. I don't think Grossman can lead the Bears to a 4th quarter comeback (at least not yet).

The Bears use their TEs and RBs in the passing game a LOT so any blitz that gets picked up is a potential 1st down. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the blitz-happy Packers racked up that many sacks on him either. Our front 4 need to go crazy on Sunday. Mixon is back too!
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

Is it me or has the play calling he past two games really sucked?

1. on offense in dallas on first and goal from the 1 we passed it a couple times. Now why on earth would we do that from the 1....? Luckily it didn't hurt us.
    2. our defense hasn't got the pressure on the QB's like I thought we would so the D has looked really soft and has played "not to loose" instead of to win.
    3. Against Philly, in the redzone we didn't mix it up enough and had a couple receivers that are way bigger than their corners and didnt take advantage of it. FRANKLY, the play calling inthe redzone the last couple years has sucked.....Linehan/Tice need to get their stuff together.
    4. Defense against PHilly wasn't BAD but it could have been way better. It seems like they missed tons of tackles and were out of position on Play action an awful lot.....

Everyone gives Linehan so much credit for our offense but in my opinion anybody could call plays with that offense to go up and down the field it takes a guru to call the right plays for us to score...

We have so much talent on offense...and Linehan gets waaaaay to much credit...! How are you going to be the #1 ranked offense and not be in the top 5 in points scored...Now that's pathetic.....

I don't know about you guys but I'm tired of all the stalled drives in the red-zone. and Monday night was a flash-back to last year...

Crunchem is offline Rookie

I think some of the redzone problems were they didn't have Mo in there...He seems to be able to get that yard at the goal line. Also not having Jimmy K in there to provide blocking support didn't help matters. Lets see how they do this weekend with Mo back.
    Lets go fishing

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

[quote="bleedpurple"]Is it me or has the play calling he past two games really sucked?

1. on offense in dallas on first and goal from the 1 we passed it a couple times. Now why on earth would we do that from the 1....? Luckily it didn't hurt us.quote]

I like the fact that we passed it on 1st and goal from the 1. I think that puts more pressure on the D to cover the pass. Plus if we have a 2 wide set it spreads out the D some more and may give us extra room to run. I think had we done this in Philly we may have scored on those 2 first half possesions!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

I agree that the Vike offense needs to mix it up so as to keep the goal line defenses on the rest of the schedule off-balance. But ultimately, you gotta do what works for you and for the Vikes, most of the time mowing over teams with that huge O-line is what they should rely on doing. Again, whatever works the best is the way to go.