Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Wilfy working hard for a New stadium ....

Nice to see Zygi, working hard on the stadium deal, and most importantly improving the Vikings overall Team Look....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

Go get em Zygi, Ive been at the Metrodome I had to stand in line for a toilet for 1 hr...thank the gods i made it lol....by the time that happened my bladder nearly exploded

ChiTownVike is offline Hall of Famer

"nephilimstorm" wrote:
    Go get em Zygi, Ive been at the Metrodome I had to stand in line for a toilet for 1 hr...thank the gods i made it lol....by the time that happened my bladder nearly exploded
    LAMO that reminds me of a funny story I read in game informer or some magazine like that maybe 1-2 years ago:

Some guy just bought Kingdom of Hearts ( A disney video game) and came home and played it for like 2 hours and then he had to go to the bathroom, he ignored the urge for 5 hours and then HIS BLADDER BURST!!!!

I sware on my life this is a true story and it shows you that video games can really affect you!

Thank you Josdin for the sig

Prophet Guest

Link
    Posted on Wed, Feb. 15, 2006
    WILF READIES $1 BILLION PLANWILF READIES $1 BILLION PLAN
    SHOOTER CHARLEYWALTERS

Vikings owner Zygi Wilf was in town Tuesday preparing for Thursday's informational meeting with the Blaine City Council, which will hear details of his plan for more than $1 billion in private development.

Wilf's development plan includes shops and restaurants, residences, offices, small businesses, Vikings corporate offices, a team hall of fame, a hotel and a medical facility that would be in use year-round.

) The Vikings remain uninterested in a stadium referendum. Among reasons, they say, is that it could kill chances for a Twins ballpark as well as a football stadium. Wilf remains strongly in favor of three new stadiums — one for the football Gophers as well.

) When a front-page Sunday story in the Newark Star-Ledger reported that Minnesota Wild players, as well as other NHL players, were under investigation related to a Phoenix Coyotes assistant coach's alleged involvement in a New Jersey gambling ring, Wild assistant general manager Tom Lynn telephoned the newspaper.

"I called the reporter and asked him if it was really Minnesota Wild players," Lynn said Tuesday. "I was completely confused because we had no indication that anyone around here was involved, and investigators had basically approached people already, and we hadn't gotten any calls. So what's going on?

"I asked him if he would please check again with his sources. He said he would check and call me back. He was apologetic, and said apparently something happened where they were trying to catch up with a visiting player when he was coming through Minnesota. It had nothing to do with the Wild. He said they would run a correction."

Tuesday, the newspaper ran a correction.

"There was nothing to it all along," Lynn said. "We just didn't want to overdo it."

Some electronic media outlets in the Twin Cities, though, went with the Newark Star-Ledger's uncorrected story.

) The Twins have become more international than ever. The organization has players within its system from 11 countries.

The Twins have 141 players from the United States, 47 from Venezuela, 29 from the Dominican Republic, 17 from Australia, six from Puerto Rico, five from Canada, three from the Netherlands, two from Mexico and one each from Cuba, the Czech Republic and St. Maarten.

"Everyone's in search of talent, and you want to stay competitive in the industry, so you go wherever to find the talent," Twins director of minor leagues Jim Rantz said.

) Tom Lehman, the U.S. Ryder Cup captain and former Gopher, finished tied for seventh in the Pebble Beach National Pro-Am last weekend despite making a first-day triple bogey on a par 3 and a final-day double bogey on a par 5. He will play this week in the Nissan Open at Riviera Country Club in Los Angeles.

) University of St. Thomas softball coach John Tschida, who led that school to two national softball championships and St. Mary's to one national softball title, is involved internationally in softball as a coach, official and player. He was disappointed and somewhat surprised by the recent decision not to reinstate softball and baseball as Olympic sports after the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.

"It's amazing because softball and baseball make a lot of funding money for the Olympics to promote the sports in different countries," Tschida said. "And it's really sad because softball is one of the last team sports for females in the Olympics. It's hearsay, but I was in Malaysia just before Christmas last year and the president of the Olympic committee for Malaysia wasn't in favor of continuing softball because she felt her country probably would never be able to medal in it.

"Also, I think there's some anti-American sentiment, and the steroid issue in major league baseball, and not sending our best players to compete didn't help."

) If the favored University of St. Thomas men's basketball team defeats visiting Concordia (Moorhead) tonight, it will clinch at least a tie for the MIAC championship and will have home-court advantage for league playoffs.

Charley Walters' column appears Sundays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. He can be reached at [email protected].

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Posted on Thu, Feb. 16, 2006

[size=18px]Follow the money, says Vikings stadium point man[/size]

LEADING OFF WITH BOBSANSEVERE

I was having a pleasant chat with Lester Bagley, the Vikings' point man for a new stadium. Then I stepped over the line. I suggested that if the Vikings couldn't get Anoka County and the state to kick in funds for a new stadium in Blaine, owner Zygi Wilf would be left with three options: Build with his own money, stay at the Metrodome or move.

Apparently, such talk is heresy to team officials. Especially the part about Zygi building the stadium on his own.

"When Zygi bought the Vikings and immediately said, 'I won't move the team,' people said, 'Great. Get back in line.' People also said, 'Why did you give up leverage?' Having a developer who wants to put a billion dollars into our economy, that's leverage," Bagley said.

Wilf plans to meet with Blaine city officials tonight to discuss his idea for a $1 billion-plus development complex. A stadium is the centerpiece of his proposal.

"If some out-of-state developer said he was interested in making a billion-dollar investment into our economy, political leaders would be falling over themselves," Bagley said. "Because of the stadium, people are frozen.

They don't know what to do. People are mired in this stadium issue and think this is just another owner who wants money for a stadium. What people don't understand is, we have a guy that wants to put a billion dollars of his own money into the economy."

I get that. Thousands of jobs and millions in tax dollars would come out of such a development. Unfortunately for Wilf, I'm not one of the folks he has to convince. Politicians with votes are.

Bob Sansevere can be reached at [email protected]

Follow the money

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

[size=18px]Vikings broaden pitch on stadium[/size]

The team seeks to gain ground by championing the project's economic benefits.

Anthony Lonetree
    Star Tribune
    Last update: February 16, 2006 – 12:04 AM

The Minnesota Vikings stadium campaign gears up anew tonight with a pitch to set aside politics for a moment and to take in instead: the Northern Lights at Blaine.
    Team owner Zygi Wilf is set to present to the Blaine City Council a newly refined vision for the stadium site that emphasizes the economic development projects that he'd help finance in the area surrounding his proposed $675 million stadium.

Wilf and his partners said they plan to put $1 billion in the newly christened Northern Lights at Blaine complex -- an investment that team vice president Lester Bagley said Wednesday is certain to spur economic growth throughout the region.

The full $1 billion commitment, however, hinges on public support for the stadium.

That support would include financial contributions of $280 million from Anoka County and $115 million from the state.

Although short on details, the team's plans include not only the retail shops, corporate offices and residential development first pitched last fall, but also a medical facility and large retail anchor store on the scale of a Cabela's, Bagley said.

He declined to name any potential tenants Wednesday.

The Vikings generally are seen as running third in a three-team race with the Minnesota Twins and Gophers in gaining state legislative approval this year for a new stadium. Bagley said: "We're not saying anyone should be first, second or third. We're saying this [the plan and growth it could bring] is an opportunity to solve them all."

Wilf met two weeks ago with Gov. Tim Pawlenty, Bagley said, and again Tuesday with David Gaither, his chief of staff: "The good news, from our perspective, is they are engaged seriously ... and they have told us the objective is to get this done," Bagley said.

Brian McClung, the governor's spokesman, gave a more measured take on the talks Wednesday: "The governor has expressed that we're open to further communication," he said. "We've got a lot on the plate for what will be a short session, but we've committed to having additional discussions with the Vikings."

House Speaker Steve Sviggum, R-Kenyon, has said that he does not expect the Vikings to be "on the agenda" for stadium discussions this year.

A lighted tour

A look at the team's drawings, plus an interview Wednesday with Bagley, suggests several scenarios for future stadium visits.

To the east would be an enclosed, lighted promenade providing easy access, he said, to the stadium or to retail stops and other entertainment venues. To the southwest would be lots that would be open to tailgaters, who then could take a tram, Bagley said, along the edge of preserved wetland areas to the stadium.

Bagley said the team wants to create a year-round complex that could attract families on a game day. Some members could watch the Vikings play, he said, while others explored the other entertainment options.

The team also is in discussions to perhaps add an IMAX theater to the mix, he said.

The Blaine site totals 740 acres -- of which 400 acres are deemed developable. Wilf has about half of those developable acres under contract, said Bagley, and would build on the site even if a stadium proposal were to fall through. "But the $1 billion [investment] doesn't happen without the stadium piece of it," Bagley added. "The stadium is the anchor."

The $1 billion would include the team's proposed $280 million contribution to the stadium. If the entire site were developed as planned, Bagley said, the total pricetag for the project would be between $1.4 billion and $1.5 billion.

Told of Wilf's planned investment in the project, Ron Holch, organizer of Taxpayers for an Anoka County Stadium Referendum, said: "If he's bringing all this money in, why doesn't he build his own stadium? If this is such a good deal for us, why isn't he paying for it? There's something wrong with this picture when a rich guy says, 'I'm going to help you out. Pay for my stadium.' There's no logic to it."

Other possibilities

Tonight's appearance marks the team's first formal presentation to the Blaine council regarding the stadium site. Its memorandum of understanding to build the $675 million retractable-roof stadium is with Anoka County, and calls for $280 million to come from the Vikings/NFL, $280 million from the county and $115 million from the state.

Bryan Schafer, city planning director, said the city also has been exploring several other conceptual options for the site. No development will occur, he added, until after a master plan for the area, including environmental review, is completed this summer.

A corporate campus is among the other proposed uses. Unlike the Vikings' plan, no other idea has a specific developer attached to it, he said.

Staff Writers David Peterson and Jill Burcum contributed to this report.

Anthony Lonetree • 612-673-4455

Vikings broaden pitch on stadium

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Here's an excellent piece by Bob Sensevere at the Pioneer Press
    Bob Sansevere

I was having a pleasant chat with Lester Bagley, the Vikings' point man for a new stadium. Then I stepped over the line. I suggested that if the Vikings couldn't get Anoka County and the state to kick in funds for a new stadium in Blaine, owner Zygi Wilf would be left with three options: Build with his own money, stay at the Metrodome or move.

Apparently, such talk is heresy to team officials. Especially the part about Zygi building the stadium on his own.

"When Zygi bought the Vikings and immediately said, 'I won't move the team,' people said, 'Great. Get back in line.' People also said, 'Why did you give up leverage?' Having a developer who wants to put a billion dollars into our economy, that's leverage," Bagley said.

Wilf plans to meet with Blaine city officials tonight to discuss his idea for a $1 billion-plus development complex. A stadium is the centerpiece of his proposal.

"If some out-of-state developer said he was interested in making a billion-dollar investment into our economy, political leaders would be falling over themselves," Bagley said. "Because of the stadium, people are frozen. They don't know what to do. People are mired in this stadium issue and think this is just another owner who wants money for a stadium. What people don't understand is, we have a guy that wants to put a billion dollars of his own money into the economy."

I get that. Thousands of jobs and millions in tax dollars would come out of such a development. Unfortunately for Wilf, I'm not one of the folks he has to convince. Politicians with votes are.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

[quote="COJOMAY"]Here's an excellent piece by Bob Sensevere at the Pioneer Press.............

I know, see page 7. :wink:

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

This makes my head hurt!

Trying to convince people that is. I am done!

For now!

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Whoops -- Sorry Singer. I should have looked closer!
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast