Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Wilfs take low-profile route to leading Vikings

Wilfs take low-profile route to leading Vikings - Businessweek

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

But, but I thought, based on what I read here on PP.O, that the Wilf's were still meddling in all kinds of football affairs that were bringing this team down?

General manager Rick Spielman and coach Leslie Frazier say they are thankful to work for an ownership group that doesn't micromanage.
    Read more: Wilf brothers work quietly behind the scenes to help Vikings turn things around | Fox News

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Not sure but if you are .33333333333 of a triangle of authority you must be doing something.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    But, but I thought, based on what I read here on PP.O, that the Wilf's were still meddling in all kinds of football affairs that were bringing this team down?
    ""It's just so unique to have ownership that are in the background but are a lot more heavily involved than it's known in the public," Spielman said. "They also let people do their jobs.""

That's just one quote.

What did you think people would say? "Holy shit, it's so oppressive working here. The Wilfs are up your ass every minute of every day. Leonard is a real ball buster..."

They have PUBLICLY distanced themselves from the decision making elements, but the guy THEY hired is still HC. Our GM still hasn't shown if he can - or will - have a positive impact on this team...or if he's even allowed to.

If the article is true at face value, then the Wilfs are learning. That's a step in the right direction.

But there's a LONG way to go to winning a Championship. tonight really underscored that.

Caine

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Not sure but if you are .33333333333 of a triangle of authority you must be doing something.
    In case you missed it....

No more triangles of authority: Spielman in charge of Vikings | StarTribune.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Except that frazier reports directly to Wilf and is not accountable to Spielman so how Wilf could hold that authority yet have no say or input is impossible.

From the exact article you posted:

"Ownership will make that determination on the head coach," Frazier said. "I know I will still work very closely with Leslie on all our decisions going forward. But I know now that I will be held accountable for all those decisions."
    Asked to clarify whether there was some question about Frazier's future, Spielman said, "No. There’s no question. Leslie is our head football coach going into next year. In Leslie, I have the utmost confidence in him leading us to where we need to go."
    Like most GMs, Spielman would have to get clearance from ownership when it comes to firing and hiring coaches.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Except that frazier reports directly to Wilf and is not accountable to Spielman so how Wilf could hold that authority yet have no say or input is impossible.

From the exact article you posted:

"Ownership will make that determination on the head coach," Frazier said. "I know I will still work very closely with Leslie on all our decisions going forward. But I know now that I will be held accountable for all those decisions."
    Asked to clarify whether there was some question about Frazier's future, Spielman said, "No. There’s no question. Leslie is our head football coach going into next year. In Leslie, I have the utmost confidence in him leading us to where we need to go."
    Like most GMs, Spielman would have to get clearance from ownership when it comes to firing and hiring coaches.

So much for Rick being "in charge"...

Caine

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Are there any GM's that fire the coaches without talking to the owner first? Seems like a good way to get yourself fired.

Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marshallvike View Post
    Are there any GM's that fire the coaches without talking to the owner first? Seems like a good way to get yourself fired.
    To be fair what I posted really did nothing to refute what Singer posted but I had to.......

I think the key wording was he doesn't Micro-Manage the team meaning questioning every little move the coaches make, but he does Macro-Manage the team in that he is involved in making longer term systemic decisions and that is a very common thing.

But in the end Spielman needs to do a better job of drafting than the rest of the league year over year to build a long term successful franchise and Frazier needs to do a better job of coaching and dealing with in game decisions than the rest if the coaches in the league for us to win Championships and not just get close and say that was good enough. I am happy with the way the last 4 games of the year went but it is going to take a pretty big leap next year to be able to go into a playoff game and not only win but be dominant enough to have a shot at a championship. At this point we only proved that we can beat GB once in the past 6 times and to me that is not good enough. I hate the damn Packers. It has gotten so bad that even DeFroster isn't coming around to take bets with us any more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast