Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Wilf's preference Blaine, but Dome still an option

[size=18px]Wilf's preference Blaine, but Dome still an option[/size]

A pitch might be made to see if the Vikings would play at a renovated Dome, or at a new stadium on the Dome location.

Sid Hartman, Star Tribune
    Last update: June 12, 2006 – 12:14 AM

There has been some speculation by members of the Legislature that an effort might be made to interest Vikings owner Zygi Wilf in making a remodeled Metrodome the long-term home for the team, or, if a decision is made to tear the Dome down, the location could be the site of the new Vikings stadium instead.
    If the Dome was torn down and replaced by a new stadium, then the Vikings could play in the new Gophers stadium while their new building was under construction.

At one point, there was a estimate made of up to $260 million in costs to remodel the Metrodome to NFL revenue qualifications. It wouldn't make any sense to spend that kind of money to renovate an old stadium when you can build a new one for about $500 million.

However, Bill Lester, who runs the Metrodome, is convinced the Dome could be remodeled for a lot less, and he has the plans to explain that to the Wilf family.

Also, Wilf has expressed interest in developing the site of the Metrodome, if the Dome was eliminated and his team was successful in getting its $1 billion proposed stadium and business development built in Blaine.

Yes, there are some big economic pluses for keeping the Vikings in downtown Minneapolis. There are other advantages over Blaine, too, such as the Metro Transit light rail line being convenient for fans.

So while Wilf has made it clear that for the present he will concentrate on Blaine and is hopeful things will work out there with his proposed development, there wouldn't be any harm in exploring the Metrodome site. In fact, Wilf said some time ago he would to see some improvements made at the dome while plans are developed for the new stadium.

Praise for Mason

"Football 101: Minnesota Zones In." That is the title of an article written recently by Bob Davie, the former Notre Dame coach, in a special to ESPN.com, praising the Gophers and coach Glen Mason for doing "a better job of consistently running the football than any other team in the country."

"Most college football coaches would agree that even though the Gophers have had some talented players, no staff has done more with less than Minnesota's -- particularly in the running game," wrote Davie, who now does commentary on ESPN college football telecasts.

"Mason, who has been named Coach of the Year in the MAC, Big Eight and Big Ten, is committed totally to the running game. Much like with the Denver Broncos, it doesn't seem to really matter who lines up at tailback for the Gophers. They all have success."

Davie went on to write that every team in the country uses some type of zone blocking, but the Gophers' scheme appears different because of its efficiency. "This is a credit to the offensive staff led by coordinator Mitch Browning. No one does it better, which is why coaches from all over the country study Minnesota every spring to see what it does differently."

Apparently, Davie studied a number of Gophers tapes before singing the praises of the Mason system.

Jottings

Apparently, there are some big business people who have being approached by former Gophers baseball players to see if they want to be major contributors as owners of the naming rights for a new Gophers baseball stadium. Once that a contributor is lined up, a group of former Gophers players are convinced they can raise the money, a total of about $12 million, to build a first-class college stadium. In the past, there has been a lot of stalling by the University of Minnesota administration, but maybe they really want to do something now.

The first bidders have been named to do some work on the roads that will adjoin the new Gophers football stadium. One of the bidders was Dick Ames, a top Gophers booster and the owner of Ames Construction, one of the bigger construction firms in the country. But with the bureaucracy at the school, the university administration doesn't play any favorites, and Ames wasn't the lowest bidder, so there weren't any negotiations and he didn't get the consideration for the job.

Twins manager Ron Gardenhire and Baltimore Orioles manager Sam Perlozzo played together in 1981 with Class AAA Tidewater (Va.), the New York Mets' top farm team. Then in 1986, they came back full circle, when Gardenhire got sent back to the minors after being in the major leagues for a little; Perlozzo was in his first year managing the Tides. "So, he managed me," Gardenhire said. "I roomed with him and then he managed me." Of Perlozzo, who joined the Orioles coaching staff in 1996 and became manager last August when Lee Mazzilli was fired, Gardenhire said: "A former Twin. He was a utility guy, kind of like me. Futility at times. More than utility. He's a good man. Been in the game for a long time." Perlozzo played 10 games for the Twins in 1977.

Former Gophers football player and professional wrestler Jim Brunzell has been a personal friend of Bruce Springsteen for 20 years. So when Springsteen, who appeared at the Xcel Energy Center on Sunday night, was having problems with his back early Sunday, it was Brunzell whom the famous singer called to make available some equipment to exercise his back and improve the condition.

One of the better people in this city is former Gophers and NBA star Trent Tucker who works with former Gophers players such as Jeff Hagen, Michael Bauer, Dusty Rychart, Rick Rickert and others to try to improve their game and doesn't charge them a nickel. Tucker has his college degree from Minnesota now, so he would be eligible to take a college coaching job that required a degree, if he decided to do that.

Asked to describe former Gophers wide receiver Aaron Hosack -- who after a good season in NFL Europe is also healthy, following serious shoulder problems -- Vikings coach Brad Childress said: "Great hand-eye coordination. Obviously he is a bigger target [6-7], which quarterbacks love. He kind of vacuums up the football. As my old stats guy used to say, receivers by definition should receive, and he does a good job of that."

Texas Tech men's basketball coach Bob Knight stopped off in Minneapolis on the way to Canada on Saturday night to fish and will return here later this summer as the speaker for the Boys and Girls Club annual fundraiser, a pet project of Al Annexstad, CEO of Federated Insurance in Owatonna.

The University of Minnesota ranks 16th in the latest 2005-06 U.S. Sports Academy Directors Cup standings, released June 1. Among Big Ten schools, only Ohio State (10), Penn State (11) and Wisconsin (12) ranked ahead of them. Stanford is first followed by UCLA, Texas, Notre Dame, Florida, Duke, North Carolina, Southern California and California. The final standings will be released upon the completion of the spring season.

Gophers outfielder Matt Nohelty was named to the freshman All-America team by Collegiate Baseball Magazine. He finished eighth in the Big Ten in overall hitting at .361 and was ninth in on-base percentage at .439. He is the sixth Gophers player to make the team since 2000, joining Mike Mee (2004), Andy Hunter ('03), Glen Perkins ('03), Sam Steidl ('01) and Luke Appert ('00).

Sid Hartman can be heard weekdays on WCCO 830-AM at 6:40, 7:40 and 8:40 a.m. [email protected]

Wilf's preference Blaine, but Dome still an option

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Wilf's preference Blaine, but Dome still an option

I definately DO NOT like the idea of renovating the dome. Minnesota needs a shiny new stadium to sell tickets and bring the Super Bowl back. I think building in the same lot would be a good idea, because the location of the dome is great being right in downtown Minneapolis. I'd still like to see Zygi get his Northern Lights passed though.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

It's a BAD use of downtown property to put a football stadium there...they could relocate to Blaine and sell the downtown property and end up with a much better net cost than if they renovate or tear down and build on the existing site. They need to see the bigger picture here...instead of trying to "reuse" what they already have!!! DUMB BASSES!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

"cajunvike" wrote:
    It's a BAD use of downtown property to put a football stadium there...they could relocate to Blaine and sell the downtown property and end up with a much better net cost than if they renovate or tear down and build on the existing site. They need to see the bigger picture here...instead of trying to "reuse" what they already have!!! DUMB BASSES!!!
    The biggest problem: No parking for tailgating.

Even Rapid Park is gone due to that's the location of the Twins ballpark.

WBLVikeBabe is offline Jersey Retired

Hey everyone, guess where I'm moving to in August?? Blaine! Haha kind of ironic how that worked out. So hopefully Northern Lights will happen cause it'd be in my backyard pratically!!

[move]My beautiful sig made by the one and only PPE![/move]

damien927 is offline Asst. Coach

I wouldnt' be happy with anything but a new stadium with plenty of room around it for tailgating...... I think it is bound to stir up more business for surrounding businesses if people can make an entire day of the games, and not just show up in time to park in a ramp and walk to the dome.... Make it a new experience, and you will attract new fans...

Thanks Lotza!

Warp is offline Asst. Coach

Yeah they cant just forget about the tailgaters, and the metrodome is an eyesore.... lets just get a NEW stadium please!

"WBLVikeBabe" wrote:
    Hey everyone, guess where I'm moving to in August?? Blaine! Haha kind of ironic how that worked out. So hopefully Northern Lights will happen cause it'd be in my backyard pratically!!
    :cheers: Hooray! tailgating at WBL's if it's built in Blaine, Shock's if it's built in Shakopee!

RAPID PARK IS GONE THIS YEAR??? WTF!!! THIS IS MY LAST YEAR GETTING SEASON TICKETS UNTIL THEY OPEN UP A NEW STADIUM, HALF THE FUN OF THE GAME IS THE TAILGATING. I REALLY DO NOT WANT TO TAILGATE AND A LITTLE DINKY LOT AROUND THE DUMP AND PAY FIFTY DOLLARS DOING SO. HAVE FUN WITH THE METRODUMP PEOPLE, I CANT STAND IT.
    You republican whore!

WBLVikeBabe is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "WBLVikeBabe" wrote:
    :cheers: Hooray! tailgating at WBL's if it's built in Blaine, Shock's if it's built in Shakopee!
    Haha, Oh I'm sure my roomates would love that! :lol:

[move]My beautiful sig made by the one and only PPE![/move]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast