Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Wilf Won't Move Team, Someone Else May

http://www.twincities.com/ci_19014099?nclick_check=1

"Chances are Zygi Wilf will not move the Vikings to the country's second-largest city.

Chances are someone else would have to do it.

And just might...if something does not happen soon in Minnesota. "

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    http://www.twincities.com/ci_19014099?nclick_check=1

"Chances are Zygi Wilf will not move the Vikings to the country's second-largest city.

Chances are someone else would have to do it.

And just might...if something does not happen soon in Minnesota. "
    That link doesn't work, but this one should......

http://www.twincities.com/ci_19014099?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    Where is the Like button?

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    I assume thats the sentiment from the MN government and screwball taxpayers who are worried that monies may go to a * shock horror * football stadium instead of something more worthwhile.. such as a four piece harpsicord group who could tour the state taking the music of an 17th century deaf mute to the indifferent population..
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if there's already a fall back plan to sell or move the team if a stadium proposal doesn't get approved. I believe those wheels are already in motion. Especially if the Wilf's company gets to develop business properties adjacent to the stadium sites.

AEG, who wants 25% ownership of a team in LA, already met with the Wilf's last May. Damage control came back & said an entertainment district, not relocating/selling the team was the topic of discussion, but anyone can clearly see past that BS & see that AEG has a much bigger vested interest in bringing a team to LA. Especially bringing in a team like the Vikings who attract the fourth-highest television ratings in the league according to Nielsen.

Between AEG & Wasserman & Roski, Wilf could probably sell the team overnight, without putting it up for sale publicly & the Vikings would be in LA before the MN government new what hit them or give them a last chance to approve a stadium.

Let's also not buy into Wilf's statement that he won't move the team. His word is not gospel. He is a businessman. Businessmen are deceptive. Wilf is not always a man of his word. 2-1/2 years ago he publicly stated he had no interest in bringing Favre to MN, but we all know how that panned out.

If the Vikings do move or get sold to LA, watch for Wilf's company to be developing businesses surrounding the new stadium.
    Last edited by singersp; 10-02-2011 at 09:15 AM.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I am really starting to suspect that he has been planning to move the team for a while now to maximize his return on the investment he made.
    The team has just made too many strategic miscues in the process for it to not be intentional.

If the team moves to L.A I will bet the farm that it will eventually come out that they had the move in the works for much longer than you would believe and that it had nothing to do with the state but rather on targeting a market with a larger revenue stream.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I am really starting to suspect that he has been planning to move the team for a while now to maximize his return on the investment he made.
    The team has just made too many strategic miscues in the process for it to not be intentional.

If the team moves to L.A I will bet the farm that it will eventually come out that they had the move in the works for much longer than you would believe and that it had nothing to do with the state but rather on targeting a market with a larger revenue stream.
    Lets not forget Wilf's development firm also. Lot's of money to be made developing businesses around either new site. That's Wilf's bread & butter.

There will be plenty of backscratching going on.

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni
    I'd put the odds of the Vikings leaving for L.A. at about 75%. There's been a perfect storm of shit going wrong that has put public support of a stadium somewhere around the "David Duke for Governor" level. You have the Vikings losing, the threat of lockout (and actual lockout) from the NFL and NBA, respectively, a budget crisis, the burgeoning Tea Party movement, and (perhaps even more significantly than that) you have the Twins and the Gophers stumbling and bumbling and generally looking like a wasted investment for the taxpayers of Minnesota.

When it does happen, I very much doubt that football will come back here. The age of expansion is over, and if another team moves, it'll either be to Vegas or a second LA team (which the league has explicitly said that they want). You'd also have the historical baggage of being (as far as I know) the first market to lose THREE major sports franchises.
    Last edited by BBQ Platypus; 10-02-2011 at 11:22 AM.

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

Quote Originally Posted by BBQ Platypus View Post
    I'd put the odds of the Vikings leaving for L.A. at about 75%. There's been a perfect storm of shit going wrong that has put public support of a stadium somewhere around the "David Duke for Governor" level. You have the Vikings losing, the threat of lockout (and actual lockout) from the NFL and NBA, respectively, a budget crisis, the burgeoning Tea Party movement, and (perhaps even more significantly than that) you have the Twins and the Gophers stumbling and bumbling and generally looking like a wasted investment for the taxpayers of Minnesota.

When it does happen, I very much doubt that football will come back here. The age of expansion is over, and if another team moves, it'll either be to Vegas or a second LA team (which the league has explicitly said that they want). You'd also have the historical baggage of being (as far as I know) the first market to lose THREE major sports franchises.
    The article that came out made a few different points.
    1. Wilf would likely sell the team, moving it would cost too much or at least more then he is willing to spend.
    2. There are 2 different sites they are looking at in LA, but also 2 different groups wanting to build.
    3. The NFL will do everything it can to keep the vikings in minnesota, i happen to think this is 100% true.

Of course i don't want them to move, but if they do i am no longer going to be an NFL fan. I refuse to be a fan of any division rivals. My dr. said on friday my BMI is 33, and it should be 30. I'll sign up for a YMCA membership and our family will start going swimming on sundays. NHL will take care of the rest, and i'm going to be teaching my 3 yr. old to skate as well. Plenty of lakes around here to do that on, and open skating at NHC and the MAC too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast