singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Wilf: Vikings evaluating every aspect of Daunte

[size=18px]Wilf: Vikings evaluating every aspect of Daunte[/size]

Vikings owner Zygi Wilf acknowledged Tuesday that the team is determining its future with quarterback Daunte Culpepper, but Wilf would not predict the likelihood that Culpepper will be traded.

Judd Zulgad and Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
    Last update: February 22, 2006 – 12:48 AM

Vikings owner Zygi Wilf acknowledged Tuesday that the team is determining its future with quarterback Daunte Culpepper, but Wilf would not predict the likelihood that Culpepper will be traded.

"It's something we're working out between the organization and Daunte," Wilf said. "We're evaluating every aspect of the team, and Daunte Culpepper is a very important part."

The Vikings began gauging Culpepper's trade value last week following a series of contract-related disagreements. Baltimore and Miami are among the teams they have called; others shopping for quarterbacks include the Raiders and Jets.

The team seems destined to determine its direction by the middle of March, when Culpepper is due a $6 million roster bonus. Wilf, meanwhile, plans to attend the scouting combine in Indianapolis.

Personnel activity

The Vikings have informed at least four of their prospective free agents that they will not be re-signed: running back Michael Bennett, cornerback Ralph Brown, center Cory Withrow and quarterback Shaun Hill.

Bennett rushed for only 473 yards on 126 carries and three touchdowns after opening the season as the No. 1 running back. Bennett had 3,174 yards on 713 carries and 12 touchdowns in five seasons with the Vikings. Bennett's agent, Patrick Dye, did not return calls.

As for restricted free agent Nate Burleson, there have been no negotiations. The Vikings are expected to place a first-round qualifying offer. That salary number is expected to be around $1.553 million.

On the mend

Safety Willie Offord, set to become an unrestricted free agent, was in Birmingham, Ala., on Tuesday to undergo an examination on his left knee. Offord tore the anterior cruciate ligament in the knee against the Saints last September and had the injury repaired by Dr. James Andrews.

"He very possibly could be fully cleared -- not for contact -- but for everything else," said Offord's agent, David Canter.

Etc.

• Matt Sheldon, whom the Vikings hired Jan. 13 as a defensive assistant, was hired Tuesday as Buffalo Bills linebacker coach.

• The Vikings signed cornerback Ronyell Whitaker, who was out of football in 2005. Whitaker played four games for defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin in Tampa Bay in 2003 and was on the Bucs' practice squad in 2004.

• Vikings defensive end Kenechi Udeze continues to rehab after having season-ending microfracture surgery on his left knee last October and is expected to be ready for training camp.

• A team official said the Vikings offered former coaches secretary Kirsten Lindberg another job within the organization. She declined, ending her 28-year association with the team.

• Former coach Bud Grant has been named co-chairman of Minnesota Momentum, a group of Vikings fans and other Minnesotans who will advocate for the owner Zigi Wilf's stadium and development project in Anoka County.

Evaluating Culpepper

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Wilf: Vikings evaluating every aspect of Daunte

The Vikings have informed at least four of their prospective free agents that they will not be re-signed: running back Michael Bennett, cornerback Ralph Brown, center Cory Withrow and quarterback Shaun Hill.

None of these suprise me at all. I could see it coming and doesn't bother me in any way to see these players let go....

The Vikings signed cornerback Ronyell Whitaker, who was out of football in 2005. Whitaker played four games for defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin in Tampa Bay in 2003 and was on the Bucs' practice squad in 2004.

Tomlin must have seen something in this kid, but Gruden either didn't see the same or didn't just plain like the kid..

I did find an artical on him from his high school years, and he was originaly an Offensive Speedster with some very good moves. But he had switched to D where he also exceled....

I really don't want to comment on PeP anymore, it's begining to be like beating an old horse.
    I'll just have to put faith in our management and coach's to make the best decision for our team.

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

Yeah i could understand that letgo.. Fowler and Birk we don't need winthrow..

Brown was good, but we have depth there.

here's the ?... what we gonna do for a 3rd backup?

other then that.. i'm glad we have movement foward.. cause idle is just plain boring..

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"digital420" wrote:

other then that.. i'm glad we have movement foward.. cause idle is just plain boring..

DiGiTaL
    3rd? You mean back up. I think DC will be gone. That leaves JT O'Sullivan as back up to Brad & quite frankly he doesn't make the grade.

He's been tried & let go by several teams & sat out most of last year until we signed him for insurance purposes only.

Withrow being let go doesn't surprise me, but that means we have to either sign Fowler, who wants a starting job & is a FA, or shop elsewhere for a back up to Birk.

Brown showed some potential, but they signed Whitaker. Is Whitaker better than Brown? I don't know, but Ralph played last year whereas Whitaker wasn't even on a team last year.

We may have taken a step back there.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

The Vikings have informed at least four of their prospective free agents that they will not be re-signed: running back Michael Bennett, cornerback Ralph Brown, center Cory Withrow and quarterback Shaun Hill

didnt need any of them anyways..you can always find another player of shaun hill's caliber..ralph brown wouldve come cheap, so i thought we wouldve retained him to stay in the 4th or 5th spot, but he can also be easily replaced..bennett can go wherever he wants to fall off of treadmills and rush for 35 yards a game for the rest of his injury plagued career..withrow isnt as good as fowler, so thats a good decision on behalf of the front office
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

"singersp" wrote:
    "digital420" wrote:

DiGiTaL
    3rd? You mean back up. I think DC will be gone. That leaves JT O'Sullivan as back up to Brad & quite frankly he doesn't make the grade.

He's been tried & let go by several teams & sat out most of last year until we signed him for insurance purposes only.

We may have taken a step back there.
    I really do'nt think D.C is gone.. at least not this year. Wait to see how they keep everyone looking at this and away from the real names they are secretly setting up to get!!

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

Big C is offline Coordinator

We have Dovonte Edvards and Laroni Gallishaw to backup the CB position.

I think we will sign up a veteran RB (Holmes, Green) a draft an RB in a later round again for depth. I still think MeMo is the answer but we'll see. I highly doubt we'll go after Alexander or James.

Shaun Hill. Meh. We'll probably draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd.

Fowler was slightly better than Withrow. Too bad you can't have too many backups. I thank Withrow for doing a decent job in the absence of Birk.
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Sounds as if DC will be gone. I think Wilf and Co. have something up their sleeve. We will go after another QB, whether it be Brees, or trade for someone's draft pick.

So Matt Sheldon is hired then leaves for a LB's job with Buffalo? Did he even talk with any of the current coaches?

We will get a experienced RB this offseason. We will not go into the season with MM as our starter. He is fiesty, but doesn't have that ability to be an every down back. To injury prone.