Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Wilf, Tice Discuss Future: Ass't coaches gone?

[size=18px]Wilf, Tice Discuss Future [/size]

By Scout.com

Date: Jan 3, 2006

Vikings owner Zygi Wilf talked in general terms about his plans for replacing Mike Tice.

A day after firing Mike Tice as the Vikings' head coach, owner Zygi Wilf addressed his plans for the future of a franchise that is looking to hire both a personnel executive and head coach.

"We have accelerated our search for a seasoned football executive and immediately initiated a process to select the very best head coach to secure a strong future for Vikings football," Wilf said in a news conference at the Vikings' Winter Park facility in Eden Prairie, Minn. "We will do this within the NFL guidelines."

The Vikings were believed to have asked permission to speak with Eagles vice president of player personnel Tom Heckert Jr. in their search to find an executive to deal with all personnel matters, but Heckert was promoted to general manager of the Eagles Monday. In essence, that person will be a general manager but will not get the title.

Whoever gets that position will work with Rob Brzezinski, who signed a three-year contract Saturday that will keep him in place as the vice president of football operations. Brzezinski will continue to deal with all salary-cap issues.

Wilf said there is a strong possibility the personnel hire will be made before the coach is named, meaning the executive could have a say in the coaching search. Wilf said decisions on the hires are being made by himself, team president Mark Wilf (his brother), Brzezinski and "a few executives we have on board that we are in touch with."

As for the head coach, Wilf would not confirm that Vikings defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell would be interviewed but came close. "I will not comment on individual candidates," he said. "But yes, we are considering individuals in our organization and as well as individuals outside the organization."

Wilf was vague when asked what he was looking for in a coach. "We are looking for the best potential candidate that can get us to what we want," he said.

Tice, meanwhile, addressed the media for a final time at Winter Park but did not take questions. "I really appreciate the players and coaches this year for sticking together," he said, a day after the Vikings beat the Chicago Bears to finish 9-7.

NOTES

Owner Zygi Wilf took some criticism for deciding to tell Mike Tice he had been fired after most of the players and coaches had left the locker room Sunday. This meant many learned about it through the media. "There have been questions and comments about how and when we decided to inform Mike of our decision," Wilf said. "Let me address that issue briefly. First, there is no easy way or good time to let someone know that their contract will not be renewed. We have great respect for Mike, and once a final decision was made, we didn't want him to twist in the wind another night. But the bottom line is, it was a tough decision and a difficult thing to do. We informed Mike as soon as we could, which is also something he requested."

Coach Mike Tice on his hopes to be considered for a coaching job elsewhere in the NFL: "I think this year that I proved that I worked hard for four years to earn my stripes and hopefully there will be other organizations around the league that will see it that way. I love to teach."

Vikings assistant coaches were not terminated immediately and will spend the rest of the week doing evaluations. Their contracts expire at the end of this month; Wilf has offered to fly them down to the Senior Bowl so they can interview for jobs.

Vikings athletic trainer Chuck Barta recently visited with Daunte Culpepper in Orlando, Fla., where the quarterback is rehabbing his surgically repaired right knee. Culpepper, who tore the anterior cruciate, medial collateral and posterior cruciate ligaments in the knee on Oct. 30 in Carolina, is hoping to be ready by training camp.

"He's continuing to progress right on schedule with things," Barta said. "He's gotten past a couple of hurdles, but it's not around the corner yet. It's going to continue to be kind of week by week and see where he's at. But he's doing well."

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Re: Wilf, Tice Discuss Future: Ass't coaches gone?

If I'm interpeting this right, as far as the assistant coaches go, it looks as if Zygi is going to make a complete change.

Vikings assistant coaches were not terminated immediately and will spend the rest of the week doing evaluations. Their contracts expire at the end of this month; Wilf has offered to fly them down to the Senior Bowl so they can interview for jobs.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Wilf, Tice Discuss Future: jiggly butt't coaches gone?

"singersp" wrote:
    As far as the assistant coaches go, it looks as if Zygi is going to make a complete change.

Thats a slap in the face. In other words he's saying: Try to get another job, cause you're outta here.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

He will fly them all to the Senior Bowl except Ted; will be mysteriously sent to Alaska!

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Well if we get another coach its very possible he's gonna want his own guys, i would hate to lock him down and so NO you can't have your coaches you have to use these ones.

Brian Baker is a coach i would like to see stick around.

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    As far as the assistant coaches go, it looks as if Zygi is going to make a complete change.

Thats a slap in the face. In other words he's saying: Try to get another job, cause you're outta here.
    Yeah but what do you think is going to happen the new HC may keep a few of them but he is going to want to bring in his own guys to help him. I just hope we get a new coach soon because we need to keep getting ready for our run to the Super Bowl next season.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Tillman probably would like a promotion of sorts. But I would love to have hiim back at his same position.

Most coaches usually have their own slackies they coach with to fill the mid to lower positions especially.

The flying these guys to the Senior Bowl thing was probably taken out of context. It is a good faith gesture that is just a truth of the job. New coaches might, I said might, fill their position once they get here. Wilf is just saying, you should think about your best interests and interview, be proactive or you may not have a job.

PacNWVike is offline Team Alumni

Head coaches will surround themselves with the best available talent, especially if they've preveiously worked together. If some of the curr ent assistants fill the bill, they'll be back. I agree it was chicken$h!t the way Tice was given his walking papers. :sad: Why not schedule a meeting with him elsewhere instead of dumping on him right after the game?

:roll:
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    Edmund Burke

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

"PacNWVike" wrote:
    Head coaches will surround themselves with the best available talent, especially if they've preveiously worked together. If some of the curr ent assistants fill the bill, they'll be back. I agree it was chicken$h!t the way Tice was given his walking papers. :sad: Why not schedule a meeting with him elsewhere instead of dumping on him right after the game?

:roll:
    You guys need to read the whole story on startribune.com the other day they had a story saying that they were going to wait until Monday morning to tell Tice but at HIS REQUEST once they informed him on Sunday he asked that they make the announcement public RIGHT AWAY.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

I'm wondering if Zygi already has a HC, OC & DC in mind right now.

He's had a 2 week head start on everyone but the Lions, knowing 2 weeks ago they were going to fire Tice.

Also, after this week they aren't allowed to talk with coaches from playoff teams.

With the Superbowl, not until February & Wilf saying he will have a new HC by the end of the month, it leads me to believe that the new HC will not be from one of the playoff teams.

Just thinking out loud again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast