Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    CyVikeFan is offline Training Camp

Re: Wilf stands strong behind Childress

Rookie year = Rookie mistakes.

I'm not gonna throw the towel in on Chill yet.
    Yeah, I don't agree with some of his decisions either, but I trust that he knows what he's doing and will have something productive going for next year.
    Was it not Childress and Co. that helped build THE top rush defense in the NFL this year?
    I believe the best of the Vikings are yet to come.

I have faith in childress, but this recent incident with Marcus Robinson and benching BJ right after he said we don't talk has me a little speculative. If an offensive coardinator isn't signed before next year, I will be doubtful of him going into the season. That being said, it is his first year, and we aren't in the locker room so we don't know the whole story behind the first two things I mentioned. Next year will be, well, interesting to say the least. I honestly don't know what to expect. I see playoffs as a definite possibility and yet I wouldn't be suprised to end up drafting in the top 10. I can't ever remember going into another season with so much uncertainty. Then again, I'm a 98'er.
    Wait, if there's cat food in this bag............................
    I HAVE TO CHECK ON JOLLY!!!!

One more thing, I have always thought, just never stated, that Tice would be a great draft guy. We always seemed to have great drafts with him, and would always get a steal in somewhere. Just a thougt-one that was there but defintley provoked when I heard we're hiring Spielman
    Wait, if there's cat food in this bag............................
    I HAVE TO CHECK ON JOLLY!!!!

bearitall Guest

I think that we as fans need to support our coach because he is in charge of our team.
    Unfortuantely we didn't have a winning season with him but neither did 4 of the last 6 HC's.
    Fans/players are not going to always agree with the coaches choices but we still need to support him.
    I give him a free pass for the first year.

My concern is his repoire with the players.
    You can't build respect with your team if you don't talk to them.
    There has to be open communication.
    If coack doesn't like them on a personal level, he needs to look past that and look towards their professional playing abilities.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Ltrey" wrote:

I think sitting at 6-9 Brad knows he has to re-evaluate some things, and I think he probably will. Having a staff consisting of guys with no experience at their current positions has hurt a lot this year.
    It should have been done long before we were 6-9.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

douginc is offline Starter

I would really like to know what ultimately happened to our D-backs coach Mr. Woods, I believe his name was.
    Drunk driving - the exact same offense as K-Rob, which landed him immediately out on the street.
    If anyone knows, I'd honestly love to know.

Now, I support that decision by Childress to kick K-Rob to the curb, even though I liked K-Rob on our team (legitimate #1 receiver).
    If you'd care to send a strong message to the team, 'mess around and you're out - even if you're our #1 receiver', fine you've set your mark as a coach.
    But if one of your personnel commits the same violation he should receive the same punishment.
    I could imagine a lot of players losing respect for the coach if he pulled a double standard.

Plus, not to rip on Mr. Childress, since I'm not sure who's at fault, but terrific coordinators can make adjustments by halftime, sometimes sooner than that.
    I didn't like that every week we came out and were trounced the exact same way by every team, making poor teams look like juggernauts by throwing all over us.

What on earth were they discussing in team meetings for over a month of games?
    "Stay the course with our pass defense.
    Wave your arms like you're open to the QB and maybe he'll think you're his receiver and throw the ball at you for an easy interception.
    It works for elementary kids, I know, I saw it at the playground yesterday when I was drawing up plays."

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Good to see Zygi is still behind him.
    I'm still cautiously (more so than ever) optimistic about Childress.
    The main reason I say this is because of the rumors floating around about him not talking to certain key players which is suspect.
    There are many other problems, but all are not insurmountable.

Regarding the coaching staff, I have been very skeptical of Spielman...because I've heard very little good about him.
    The latest team to get rid of him, the Dolphins, were laughing when the Vikings grabbed him.
    Bevell is also one of the weakest links on the coaching staff.
    I'm glad they got rid of Fred Flintsone (Foley) early in the year...but I am guessing and have my fingers crossed that Spielman and Bevell hit the soup lines early in the offseason with top-notch replacements coming in behind them.

Like I've said before, I don't buy into the doom and gloom scenarios.
    The team has come around in the running game and owns the TOP category.
    The defense is close to being a powerhouse.
    They get the #1 penalized team in the league under control and fill in a few voids they could turn things around quickly.

I'm officially on the replace Bevell and Spielman bandwagon as of this moment.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"FreakinVikingsBaby" wrote:
    One more thing, I have always thought, just never stated, that Tice would be a great draft guy. We always seemed to have great drafts with him, and would always get a steal in somewhere. Just a thougt-one that was there but defintley provoked when I heard we're hiring Spielman

Tice was still the guy that was responsible for not getting picks on time and making the Viking's the laughing stock of the NFL 2 years in a row.

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I am glad that Wilf is standing behind his coach.
    A head coach needs two years to be fairly judged, especially a rookie head coach.

I hope Childress has a better run this year though.
    I don't think Zygi is the type to wait more than one year for a winning team... And neither are the fans.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"whackthepack" wrote:
    "FreakinVikingsBaby" wrote:

Tice was still the guy that was responsible for not getting picks on time and making the Viking's the laughing stock of the NFL 2 years in a row.

Not only that; Childress was hampered with Tice picks that were bad.

Williamson

Can't catch. Picked in a spot where you should have a high probability of a blue chip player.

Marcus Johnson

Can't block.Can't count.

On the other hand I have to question Childress when he plays Hicks who wouldn't even make the team if I were coach.

I have been a big Childress supporter but he's starting to worry me a little.

There is a difference between calling a trick play and calling a creative game plan.
    I saw some trick plays but I didn't see a lot of creativity.

I would like to see an offensive coordinator with some proven talent.

That wont happen unless Zigi wants it.

So I guess I'll just worry for now.

On a positive note; there is a very thin line between being successful and failing in this league. And I think the Vikings have a lot of positives to build off of.
    If you had told me we would be able to stop the run on defense ,run the ball and win the time of posession battle on offense before the season started, I would have found it inconceivable that we would not make the play offs.

It still starts with the offensive line and that has to be fixed or we will not win.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast