Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Wilf: stadium chances are better

Posted on Sat, Mar. 25, 2006

[size=18px]Wilf: stadium chances are better[/size]

ASSOCIATED PRESS

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. - Minnesota Vikings owner Zygi Wilf has two obvious goals for his franchise -- winning a Super Bowl and building a new stadium.

Though he's moved aggressively to hire a coach, sign free agents, buy land and lobby for public support, Wilf has also acknowledged the value of patience -- for the Super Bowl and the stadium.

"You have to have a long-term outlook on both," Wilf said Friday in an interview with the Associated Press. "But we're optimistic that we can get both of them done in the short-term."

With the football side of the organization wrapping up an active two weeks in free agency, Wilf and his leaders in the front office are continuing their push for a stadium bill to be considered during this spring's legislative session.

The Vikings are eager to build in Blaine a $675 million retractable roof stadium, as an anchor to a $1.5 billion Northern Lights Sports, Retail and Entertainment Center.

Wilf has promised $280 million toward the stadium, plus many of the costs associated with the other developments, for a total of about $1 billion in private investment. Anoka County would have to pay $280 million through a three-quarters percent sales tax increase, or about 75 cents per $100.

It's been approved by the county commission, but the Legislature must authorize it before it can be levied. The state would also provide $115 million through construction bonds.

"From the governor, through the leaders in the House and the Senate, I've gotten the indication directly from them, as have many of our staff, that our chances have gone up," Wilf said.

"I think everyone realizes it's not a state handout. It's an investment by a private developer in the community."

The Vikings have long been in line behind Twins baseball and University of Minnesota football in requests for stadium funding. Legislative leaders have said the votes are there to pass plans for the Twins and the Gophers this session, but the consensus has generally been the Vikings' chances are more remote.

Wilf: stadium chances are better

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

vikeswin2005 is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Wilf: stadium chances are better

thx singer for the info

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

The way that article reads the state is not investing a dime. They are going to sell construction bonds. Only the Anoka County residents would have to ante up some money in a .075% sales tax.
    I always thought the state was being ased for some money as well as paying for the road construction in and around the stadium.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

Get it Done !!! Get it Done!!! Get it Done!!!

shawn9876uss is offline Coordinator

It sounds like they are moving along

Thanks PurpleMafia

Jeremy is offline Starter

I really hope a deal gets done and we can all watch a game outdoors. I hate the dome. I hate driving downtown. I hate shelling out a bunch of cash to pack anywhere near the current stadium.

Just think of how great it would be to have everyone park in the same place, for free. TAILGATING PARTIES WOULD BE HUGE!!!!!! No dealing with all the one way streets downtown. No sitting inside for the whole game. There is a possibility of a training facility in vacinity of the stadium. I'd actually go and watch the training camps. There is no way I'd go all the way to Mankato for it.

[quote="COJOMAY"]The way that article reads the state is not investing a dime. They are going to sell construction bonds. Only the Anoka County residents would have to ante up some money in a .075% sales tax. I always thought the state was being ased for some money as well as paying for the road construction in and around the stadium.[/quote

exactly cojomay I live in anoka cty just 2-3 miles from the site they are still "battling" with the little town of Centerville population 1500 or so the mayor is a whench sp? i hate her Mary Capra she wants to bring this to a vote and it is slowing everyting down I mean .075% oh my i will be broke they said it will take about 1 year so avg family of 4 in anoka cty makes aprox 62k so after avg mtg and car pymnt they will spend on taxable items 12k for the year x .075 = 900 a year which would create a ton of jobs in the county and make property go up and.......DUH

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"vikeswin2005" wrote:
    [quote]"COJOMAY" wrote:
    The way that article reads the state is not investing a dime. They are going to sell construction bonds. Only the Anoka County residents would have to ante up some money in a .075% sales tax. I always thought the state was being ased for some money as well as paying for the road construction in and around the stadium.[/quote

exactly cojomay I live in anoka cty just 2-3 miles from the site they are still "battling" with the little town of Centerville population 1500 or so the mayor is a whench sp? i hate her Mary Capra she wants to bring this to a vote and it is slowing everyting down I mean .075% oh my i will be broke they said it will take about 1 year so avg family of 4 in anoka cty makes aprox 62k so after avg mtg and car pymnt they will spend on taxable items 12k for the year x .075 = 900 a year which would create a ton of jobs in the county and make property go up and.......DUH
    I think your 12K is a little high. What are they spending that money on?

Food & clothing are non-taxable in MN. Also, if they're worried about the 0.075 on a dollar, it isn't to far to drive to another county to spend money on higher priced items.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

oops sorry singer it is 12k-6k grocieries ( approx of course) = 6k x .075= 450 there we go i knew that other nbr was too high i was at the city hall meeting a while back and obviously there were people who want the stadium there also that brought these figures up

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Well I'm glad we're making progress, but I feel bad for Wilfi. He has to make up about 7 years work in just a few months since Red didn't do jack about the stadium!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast