Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Wilf says Tice will stay coach

Mike Tice said he was guaranteed at the start of the season by new owner Zygi Wilf that he will coach the Vikings throughout this season, regardless of the team's record.

"We had a handshake, and I was told not to worry about my job," Tice said.

Well, after some Vikings players chartered two boats on which there allegedly was a sex party, Wilf said Wednesday that Tice's job is safe for this year and that the coach will not be the scapegoat for bad decisions made by some players. Beyond that, Wilf would not comment.

I want it understood that I'm not condoning what the players are alleged to have done. But while some media types are calling for Tice's firing, I can't agree. The days are over when a coach could control these players and what they do off the football field. Even a tough disciplinarian such as former Vikings coach Denny Green used to talk how different coaching is now. The NFL Players' Association and other similar organizations in pro sports make it almost impossible to discipline players.

In July, the Vikings hired Les Pico, one of the best in the business, as director of player development/legal. Pico's job is to advise players on how not to embarrass themselves. According to Tice, Pico has worked hard advising players how to stay out of trouble.

In 2002, Gophers football player Brandon Hall was shot and killed downtown while coming to the aid of a teammate who earlier had been robbed and assaulted. Gophers coach Glen Mason had spent a long time after the game warning the football players about being careful not to get in trouble, which Mason does after every game. Coaches such as Tice and Mason, with so many players, sit on a powder keg every day.

Rates with worst

I've covered the Vikings since their inception. This boat party will go down as the dumbest move any group of players in any sport has made. At this point it is all alleged. There will be a lot of egg on the face of the media if it is not true. That has happened in the past. Some of the Vikings players are denying that anything happened like what has been reported.

Wilf, who has gone way out of his way to treat his players well, seemed very embarrassed and upset about what happened when I talked to him Wednesday. He didn't want to comment further Wednesday, but I got the impression he is going to make sure this type of thing doesn't happen again.

While all the bad news was breaking about the boat ride, Vikings players Mike Rosenthal and Adam Goldberg were at Torah Academy in St. Louis Park, thanking the students for contributing to the Vikings food drive. They did a great job visiting with these young students, answering their questions and giving them a lot of good tips on how important it is to do well in school.

Most of the players who were on the charter boats also contribute so much to this community, so it is sad that this incident and some other things that have happened in the past divert the attention away from the good things Vikings players do.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Re: Wilf says Tice will coach through year

I don't know...we've both always given Tice a lot of latitude....but the whole ord seems swaying out of control and that does rest a good deal on Tice to bring the hammer. I just have reached the end of my rope with him and certain players, but not the team.

Cheer on!

CanadaViking is offline Pro-Bowler

Zygi will fix this problem, and in my opinion a hand shake is worth zilch, what if Tice was on the boat? what I am saying is, who cares what was promised to coach Tice, depending on some of the results from this incident, I would not be surprised if Zygi went back on his ill-advised promise to Tice.

Also I believe Tice has influenced the personnel the Vikes brought in, so isn't he ultimately responsible? I visit numerous web-sites everyday regarding football and have never seen a team go through as many off-field problems as the 2005-2006 Vikings.

I know that the Moss issue is sensitive around here and I have held back some of my thoughts so as to move on and cheer the new squad, however this kind of garbage makes a guy wonder. If Moss was such a distraction, how come I never heard of any of the wacky stuff last year or the last 7 years? Maybe because Moss had all of the medias attentiion?

Cheers!
    a sad vikings fan

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

It is true that Tice has influenced the personnel brought in but, in my opinion, he is only ultimately responsible for the on-field play. The only way that he could be held accountable for off-field stuff would be if he said to the guys " yeah go out, get drunk, get busted for DUI, organise wild-orgies etc ", Tice might be stupid in some things but not enough as to do that.
    Ultimately the responsibility comes down to the players and how they decide to act, thats the rub with being a high-profile sportsman - you can't always do and get away with some of the things that the average guy can do, such as visit clubs, lap bars etc without it causing a stir in the media.

As I said in my column blog, I don't see Zygi getting rid of Tice before the season end as there is no-one out there suitable to come in as a long term replacement. An interim coach is no good for the season which, by the way, still has long way to go. Zygi is a fan as well as a businessman and knows the problems that will result through an early firing of Tice. Whether people like it or not Tice is here til the season end, though further examples of lack of direction and player discipline will make his future stay here less likely.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

jackyl is offline Hall of Famer

I like coach Tice..... personally and as a coach. He's been surrounded by a weakened and cheap staff his entire tenure and that contributes (for sure) to the poor field performance.

All that said, he has no control over this team. He treats his players like teammates, which should've changed the moment he became a coach. He needs to act like a Head Coach and treat the players the way a Head Coach would. Not the way that a player would treat his teammate.

Del Rio Guest

I think we will see ol foge take over the defensive headset. I think Tice could do a good job if he actually got some cordinators in there that could carry his dead weight around.

I mean obviously he isn't a leader. He doesn't take control, he holds meetings and cries. If he sticks around as a friendly placeholder he needs some serious talent at the cord. positions to cover up his inabilities to coach, to control, and to inspire focus.

Re: Wilf says Tice will stay coach

To quote Wilf from earlier in this thread;

".....while some media types are calling for Tice's firing, I can't agree. The days are over when a coach could control these players and what they do off the football field. Even a tough disciplinarian such as former Vikings coach Denny Green used to talk how different coaching is now. The NFL Players' Association and other similar organizations in pro sports make it almost impossible to discipline players."

Once again I want to reiterate that the Whizzinator, scalping, love boat & other off field issues, will have no bearing on Zygi's decision on Tice.

No one has come up with a viable alternative to Tice that has consisently taken his NFL team to the playoffs AND is available after the end of the season

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Wilf says Tice will coach

I feel like we're stuck in 3rd gear with Tice, and thats how its gonna remain untill we bring in someone else. Im tired of Below and .500 records.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Putting any on the party boat blame on Tice's shoulders is not right.

He is not their off-field babysitter. :roll:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Putting any on the party boat blame on Tice's shoulders is not right.

He is not their off-field babysitter. :roll:
    I'm glad someone agrees with me!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast