Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Wilf says Culpepper, Johnson to battle in training camp

From The Mercury News;

Posted on Thu, Jan. 19, 2006

[size=18px]Vikings owner says Culpepper, Johnson to battle in training camp[/size]

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Knight Ridder Newspapers

ST. PAUL, Minn. - Training camp is about six months away, but Vikings owner Zygi Wilf is looking forward to a surprising position battle: at quarterback.

While there are concerns about his readiness, incumbent starter Daunte Culpepper will not automatically retain the No. 1 spot over Brad Johnson, Wilf said.

"One thing I've learned in this league, no one is handed anything," Wilf said Thursday. "You've got to compete for your job, and you have to fight hard for it. If it's a given, you lose that spirit. ... I would hope that when they both come in, that they're both at 110 percent ... and they know they're fighting for their jobs. You can't ask for anything more than to be in that position."

Neither Culpepper nor Johnson is likely to be traded this offseason, Wilf said. "I think having both of them together is the best weapon that we can have going forward. And having them compete against each other on a constant basis is even better."

Culpepper and Johnson were unavailable for comment, and their agents, Mason Ashe and Phil Williams, respectively, declined comment.

Culpepper, who tore three ligaments in his right knee Oct. 30 against the Carolina Panthers, is rehabbing after surgery. Johnson was 7-2 as the Vikings starter after Culpepper's injury.

Wilf said he is not bothered by reports of Johnson's desire to be No. 1. "Sure, Brad wants to be a starting quarterback. I wouldn't expect anything less of him," Wilf said. "That's why he's a great leader. That's why he has a Super Bowl ring, because he always has that spirit. And I will not say to him that `you can't compete,' because that would hurt everyone. So therefore, I welcome and look forward to this training camp.
    I think it's great for both of them, really. It sets them up to a higher level."

Wilf added the "competitive spirit" would help both players. "It's always great to have that," Wilf said. "I think there's always room, in fact a necessity, to always have a competitive spirit, and I'm proud to say that we have two of the best quarterbacks in the league competing against each other. Who could ask for anything more?"

Wilf reiterated that Culpepper is a "franchise quarterback." But he added . . . "I've got two franchise quarterbacks, OK? That's how I look at it."

"When you talk about quarterbacks in the plural, this team has the franchise quarterbacks. As you can see around the league, especially last year, you never know. It's very tough to stay healthy, at that position, for a full year. You never know when things will happen. If you don't have that person that can step up. . ."

Wilf didn't finish that thought. But after the Vikings started 2-5 with Culpepper, the Vikings rallied when Johnson took over. The Vikings won six consecutive games with Johnson and finished 9-7 to narrowly miss the playoffs.

"With what Brad exhibited with his leadership, I wouldn't bet against Brad in the competitive role. He's the ultimate competitor," Wilf said. "You'll see the best of him, in competing for the quarterback position."

Asked if he would address Johnson's or Culpepper's contract this offseason, Wilf said, "I won't comment on contracts."

Still, Wilf wants to ensure both players are around for the long haul. "We're in an envious positions," Wilf said. "Our team has what I would say is the franchise quarterback combination in the league. You have to look upon that nowadays, because things change on a weekly basis."

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Prophet Guest

Re: Wilf says Culpepper, Johnson to battle in training camp

Nice. The way things should be. Without competition you end up with QBs the likes of Aaron Brooks...no heart for the game and a head-case.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Competition is great and all, but Wilf needs to shut his mouth when it comes to this kind of stuff. Let the coach decide.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

The only thing bad about that colum was that it stated that training camp was 6 months away how depressing is that?

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Singer. I already posted that article in the other Culpepper thread! LOL
    http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=299691#2996 91
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

DaunteHOF is offline Coach

Why is the owner talking? Let the coach handle it.
    Its not braggin if you can do it!!!

Del Rio Guest

Because he writes the checks. He's sending a message to Daunte to get his shit together.

jellovike is offline Starter

I just like how Wilf is actively involved in the organization. Yes it is ultimately the coaches call, but I'm just happy we have an owner committed to winning.
    Zygi Zagi Zygi Zagi Oy Oy Oy!!!

TheKnuck is offline Asst. Coach

the guy just bought the team for poop sakes, let him get involved. heck, if i just dropped $600 million on something, i might look into a few things too!!!!!!!!!!!

DCPologirl is offline Team Alumni

"TheKnuck" wrote:
    the guy just bought the team for poop sakes, let him get involved. heck, if i just dropped $600 million on something, i might look into a few things too!!!!!!!!!!!
    KNUCK your sig is phat!

DCPologirl:Maybe Randy will make Aaron Brooks look better......roflmao Del Rio: I guarantee he will

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast