Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Wilf pleased with Vikings' position

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Very interesting article.
    Thanks.

The owner is a smart man regardless of what the yutz's think in the comment section of the article.
    ;D

He said he is proud of his front-office structure, announcing a contract extension for Vice President of Player Personnel Rick Spielman
    Wilf, however, said coach Brad Childress' job security will [size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]not[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size] depend on a playoff berth this season.
    In short, continuity breeds success.
    Not always. I think continuity is huge but a bad coach will always be a bad coach. Having him around a lot longer doesn't mean he will be sucess full....I'm not saying Childress is a bad coach....but I am saying he is a young coach and we are often outcoached. i can't fathom that we weren't able to run the ball during the last 3 weeks of the season.
    We never adjusted.
    Trust me, I agree with you in that if he was a bad coach he would already be gone.

Did he get outcoached last year?
    Hell yes.

Will he get outcoached this year?
    Hell yes.

Were some of his coaching issues related to adjustements because he didn't know how to make those adjustments or because he didn't have the right players (yet) to execute said adjustments? I think it was a little of both.

TJ definately held us back alot last year.
    OL play didn't help very much with respect to executing the passing
    scheme.
    WR's dropped balls that should have been caught.... etc etc etc.

I think there is enough blame to go around for everybody (coaches and players alike), but the question is, with the addition of a few of the missing pieces (Via FA) as well as some more added in the draft, will this team be able to open that play book up a bit (on both sides of the ball) and get over the hump?

I think it will because of continuity on the coaching staff, continuity at a few key posisitions and some new pieces that are added.

I am, however, very unhappy with Big MaC.
    Lets hope ole Spielman finds the right guy to get us over that hump or the coaching staff preps one of the guys to step up.
    :
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "vikes2456" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Thanks.

The owner is a smart man regardless of what the yutz's think in the comment section of the article.
    ;D

He said he is proud of his front-office structure, announcing a contract extension for Vice President of Player Personnel Rick Spielman
    Wilf, however, said coach Brad Childress' job security will [size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]not[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size] depend on a playoff berth this season.
    In short, he also claimed Tice's job wasn't in jeopardy in 2005 also.

Does this continuity you speak of also include .500 & sub-.500 seasons?
    Only if you are measuring wins and losses as a bench mark.

I think this owner has alot more in mind when he fires and hires.
    I think the scalping of tickets had alot more to do with Tice's firing than anything else with this guy.

In short, I believe character is the true benchmark for this guy.
    Scalping tickets probably had little to nothing to do with Tice's firing.
    I kindof disagree with that.
    Seems to me that everyone that leaves this organization has some sort of character/credibility issue related to them that created negative press.....

Foley.....Resume untruths
    Tice......Scalping tickets
    Players.....Speeding/DUI/Screwing in Hallways/Drugs etc etc etc.

Truth be told, at least the way I see it, Tice was let go because this team needed an authoritarian figure head in charge of the coaching dept.
    Tice's little guffaw with the tickets probably wouldn't have given him much leverage with respect to enforcement of team rules.
    I'm not buying the scalping tickets notion in the least. The scalping incident happened & came to light during Feb/Mar of 2005. Wilf's comment on Tice's job not being in jeopardy came later that year during the season.

That's why I take what he said about Childress & what he's says about never moving the team with a grain of salt.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

MetalMike-LoudVike is offline Hall of Famer

Wilf should be pleased with what the organization was and is now. Its shows the Vikes are becoming a Solid Team with Management who gives "bleep" about the Moves they make and the fact they want to get the Vikes their own stadium. Its nice to have Owners showing that they care about the franchise we all care about.
    IN THE PITS ON THE RIVER BEDS EVRY VIKING FAN WILL RISE & VAHALLA SHALL REJOICE WITH THE MOST GLORIOUS PRIZE LOMBARDI'S TROPHY

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Thanks.

;D

Not always. I think continuity is huge but a bad coach will always be a bad coach. Having him around a lot longer doesn't mean he will be sucess full....I'm not saying Childress is a bad coach....but I am saying he is a young coach and we are often outcoached. i can't fathom that we weren't able to run the ball during the last 3 weeks of the season.
    We never adjusted.
    Trust me, I agree with you in that if he was a bad coach he would already be gone.

Hell yes.

Hell yes.

Were some of his coaching issues related to adjustements because he didn't know how to make those adjustments or because he didn't have the right players (yet) to execute said adjustments? I think it was a little of both.

scheme.

I think there is enough blame to go around for everybody (coaches and players alike), but the question is, with the addition of a few of the missing pieces (Via FA) as well as some more added in the draft, will this team be able to open that play book up a bit (on both sides of the ball) and get over the hump?

I think it will because of continuity on the coaching staff, continuity at a few key posisitions and some new pieces that are added.

Lets hope ole Spielman finds the right guy to get us over that hump or the coaching staff preps one of the guys to step up.

:
    I agree that Childress 's playbook is limited by the talent( or lack of) that we can put on the field.
    However, i can't understand why we didn't go 4 wide and run draw if they check out of the 8 man front or throw a WR screen/ quick hitch if they refuse to cover our WR.

He has to address this is as I expect teams to review film of last season and see our inability to stop this defense.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Thanks.

;D

We never adjusted.

Hell yes.

Hell yes.

scheme.

:
    I agree that Childress 's playbook is limited by the talent( or lack of) that we can put on the field.
    However, i can't understand why we didn't go 4 wide and run draw if they check out of the 8 man front or throw a WR screen/ quick hitch if they refuse to cover our WR.

He has to address this is as I expect teams to review film of last season and see our inability to stop this defense.
    I think the 4 wide is a interesting set but if you really look at it you will see it leaves you open to at least 3 blitz packages that can get to the QB real quick let alone the threat of the front 4.

I believe because TJ got hurt a bit early on, they limited the options of him getting hurt again and kept TE's in to help the OL protect him.

Then you have to think about his abilities to read a defense in a 4 wide set. He was pretty raw last year and that might not have been one of his strenghts either.

In short, I think we will see a few 4 wides this year (OL better play/TJ improves on reads-recognition) but I won't bet on it.
    3 Wides with a TE to Chip/roll to the seams will probably be our option in that situation especially if we need to help out McKinnies replacement this year.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

Good read, thanks.
    Remember, Wilf's mentor was Wellington Mara.
    He spent alot of time as a young man on the New York Giants sidelines and in the Mara's owner's box.
    He believes in a strong front office and continuity, in the mold of the Mara's.
    As fans, I would think we should all be ecstatic about the level of engagement, the passion for winning, the persistence to bring a new stadium, and his open checkbook.
    He is not a meddler, he is a terrific owner IMO; we are lucky to have him.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Thanks.

;D

We never adjusted.

Hell yes.

Hell yes.

scheme.

:

I don't think the playbook is a limited as you might think. IMO & what I think is that because a new WCO system was installed, you start running some of the plays until you can do them well. Thus the vanilla offense of 2006.

Then as you gain more experience executing plays you add more plays from the playbook, mastering them as you go, until all the plays in the playbook can be executed well.

But also as I recall, Ferguson did mention that the playbook was very vanilla.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12