Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Wilf paints himself into a corner

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Seems to me there is a bit of anomosity with respect to a few of the quotes (Anoka Reps) and thier feeling for the Wilfs.

I just don't understand why the local papers report such negative drivel all the time without giving the whole picture, to include the reasons behind why the Anoka deal fell through.

If we loose this team to another state, I blame the press just as much as I blame everyone else, maybe a bit more.

Very sad, very sad indeed.
    :'(
    I find it fascinating that a lot of folks will believe anything that comes out of the jilted mouths of Anoka County officials, but who then don't believe anything that the Vikings say - which I quote here:

"We have no intention to pursue any other location other than the Minneapolis site.
    That's the best and most cost-effective site there is.
    Mr Wilf's position since the day he purchased the Vikings has been that he is not moving the team.
    That has not changed."

Lordy.

It's GAME DAY, dammit!
    Can't we just be excited about that?
    Well said.

Nope, the local press won't let us. All they want to do is paint a gloom and doom picture.

Wonder what kind of drivel will they write after they help in driving the team to another state.

Again, very sad.
    I can read an article and form my own opinion.
    I would hope that most others can, as well.
    You, like all readers, have a choice.
    You can choose to be swayed by one viewpoint or the other.
    Perhaps it is fatalism that has driven many to choose doom and gloom.
    Blaming a columnist from the newspaper who just lost $45million is inaccurate.

I work for a huge mortgage company.
    The morale is, as they say, in the shitcan.
    Business is horrible.
    This is a terrible time to borrow money.
    Everything they say about the financial side of the deal is correct.

Add in the "We've got the fix the bridges!!!" mentality right now and it seems like a time to back off a deal and wait for a better economic and political climate.
    Sure - the Metrodome is aging - but it's still viable, at this point, as a football venue.

=Z=
    And there is the rub.

Look, I am not trying to say all MN are fools or can't make up thier own minds based on all the facts, but damn.

Just one or two articles like this come out again and all the "He's moving the team"
    "Its been his plan all along" crowd comes out of the woodwork.

Rubes like this do have an impact and they do sway peoples thoughts and those people vote.
    That my friend is a bad thing when it comes to public support for a stadium.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Just because Wilf gave us his word, doesn't mean it won't change or we need to believe him. Just like we don't have to believe a reporter.

In past history we have heard "Moss is not on the trading block" before, only to find out that was not true & "I did not have sexual relations with that woman".

Personally, I don't believe his intentions are to move the team, but just because he made that statement doesn't mean it's golden or cast in stone.

Even if he's inclined to think about moving the team, does any one believe if it were true he'd come out & say it?

Bottom line is 1st & foremost Wilf is a buisness man & the goal is to make money, not lose it.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    Just because Wilf gave us his word, doesn't mean it won't change or we need to believe him. Just like we don't have to believe a reporter.

In past history we have heard "Moss is not on the trading block" before, only to find out that was not true & "I did not have sexual relations with that woman".

Personally, I don't believe his intentions are to move the team, but just because he made that statement doesn't mean it's golden or cast in stone.

Even if he's inclined to think about moving the team, does any one believe if it were true he'd come out & say it?

Bottom line is 1st & foremost Wilf is a buisness man & the goal is to make money, not lose it.
    I disagree that that is the bottom line.
    Wilf is a businessman, sure, but he's also a football fan who has had season tickets since the 50s.
    You don't go into the sports franchise ownership gig to make money.
    You do it for ego or biggest toy or other reasons, but making money isn't, generally, part of the equation.

Does he want to get the best deal he can for a stadium?
    Sure.
    It just gets a bit old when ANY indication is twisted to be "He wants to move the team to LA."

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

Wilf is absolutely a football fan.
    In fact, he is a close, personal friend of the Mara family and, if you remember, he is going to try to run the Vikings like the Mara's ran the Giants.
    Strong GM, paying attention to tradition, not kneejerking with drastic moves.

Reusse is a writer who painted his picture, we didn't hear Wilf's side of the Blaine story.
    Wilf is far from the idiot Steve Novak makes him out to be.

Z touches on interest rates and real estate issues which are absolutely huge, Novak doesn't even mention them...why, it's not in his best interest.
    Why?
    Because we are witnessing a negotiation.
    I do not believe their was or is any intention of moving the Vikes outside of MN.
    This will get done, one way or another, I have faith that Wilf will make it happen.
    By the way, I would venture to bet that Novak is also no match for Wilf when it comes to negotiating...just a hunch

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

"MaxVike" wrote:
    By the way, I would venture to bet that Novak is also no match for Wilf when it comes to negotiating...just a hunch
    He did a great job hiring Fran Foley

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/maasx003/Vikings/043978.html

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

What Reusse fails to mention in his one-sided article, again making the Vikings look bad, is that the stadium never would have been built in Blaine for enviromental reasons. I'm sure you all remember the long thread we had on the Rice Creek Watershed District wetlands article that I believe Ruesse also wrote.
    http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=35793.0
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

"vikingivan" wrote:
    "MaxVike" wrote:

Funny, albeit completely irrelevant to my point.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"vikingivan" wrote:
    "MaxVike" wrote:

Fran Foley is responsible for the draft that brought the Vikings a starting CB (Ced Griffin), starting RT (Ryan Cook), starting RE (Ray Edwards), starting QB (Tarvaris Jackson) and key backup and special-teamer (Greg Blue).

He was a complete dickhead who lied on his resume, but that's a damn good draft.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Wilf shouldn't be painting, he has enough money to have people paint for him.

I don't believe he was painting.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    What Reusse fails to mention in his one-sided article, again making the Vikings look bad, is that the stadium never would have been built in Blaine for enviromental reasons. I'm sure you all remember the long thread we had on the Rice Creek Watershed District wetlands article that I believe Ruesse also wrote.
    http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=35793.0
    Heaven forbid that he stay consistent in his stance on the stadiums.
    The only thing he is consistent on is his negative view of the Vikings.
    He is a worthless POS as a columnist.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast