Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Wilf paints himself into a corner

[size=13pt]Patrick Reusse: Vikings owner paints himself into a corner[/size]

By playing footsie with downtown interests and jilting Anoka County, Zygi Wilf finds himself with no stadium deal.

By Patrick Reusse, Star Tribune

Last update: August 29, 2007 – 9:10 PM

Steve Novak was Anoka County's lead negotiator in the deal that would have brought the Vikings to Blaine in a retractable roof stadium....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Wilf paints himself into a corner

Thanks Sing, good read.
    I thought Wilf was such a great businessman.
    Maybe he is.
    He may have been planning to move the team when he purchased it.
    This could just be part of his master plan.
    Is there a better explanation to why he backed out of the Anoka County deal?
    He knows how much money he can make if he moves the team to LA.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Seems to me there is a bit of anomosity with respect to a few of the quotes (Anoka Reps) and thier feeling for the Wilfs.

I just don't understand why the local papers report such negative drivel all the time without giving the whole picture, to include the reasons behind why the Anoka deal fell through.

If we loose this team to another state, I blame the press just as much as I blame everyone else, maybe a bit more.

Very sad, very sad indeed.
    :'(
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"vikingivan" wrote:
    Thanks Sing, good read.
    Maybe he is.

Would a smart business man keep his team in a state where they won't give him a new stadium, has low ticket sales & is not making as much money on the team as he could elswhere?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

"singersp" wrote:
    "vikingivan" wrote:
    Thanks Sing, good read.
    Maybe he is.

Would a smart business man keep his team in a state where they won't give him a new stadium, has low ticket sales & is not making as much money on the team as he could elswhere?
    No, especially since he has no ties to the area.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Seems to me there is a bit of anomosity with respect to a few of the quotes (Anoka Reps) and thier feeling for the Wilfs.

I just don't understand why the local papers report such negative drivel all the time without giving the whole picture, to include the reasons behind why the Anoka deal fell through.

If we loose this team to another state, I blame the press just as much as I blame everyone else, maybe a bit more.

I find it fascinating that a lot of folks will believe anything that comes out of the jilted mouths of Anoka County officials, but who then don't believe anything that the Vikings say - which I quote here:

"We have no intention to pursue any other location other than the Minneapolis site.
    That's the best and most cost-effective site there is.
    Mr Wilf's position since the day he purchased the Vikings has been that he is not moving the team.
    That has not changed."

Lordy.

It's GAME DAY, dammit!
    Can't we just be excited about that?

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

I find it fascinating that a lot of folks will believe anything that comes out of the jilted mouths of Anoka County officials, but who then don't believe anything that the Vikings say - which I quote here:

"We have no intention to pursue any other location other than the Minneapolis site.
    Mr Wilf's position since the day he purchased the Vikings has been that he is not moving the team.
    That has not changed."

Lordy.

It's GAME DAY, dammit!

=Z=
    Well said.

Nope, the local press won't let us. All they want to do is paint a gloom and doom picture.

Wonder what kind of drivel will they write after they help in driving the team to another state.

Again, very sad.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

That has not changed."

Lordy.

It's GAME DAY, dammit!
    Well said.

Nope, the local press won't let us. All they want to do is paint a gloom and doom picture.

Wonder what kind of drivel will they write after they help in driving the team to another state.

Again, very sad.
    I can read an article and form my own opinion.
    I would hope that most others can, as well.
    You, like all readers, have a choice.
    You can choose to be swayed by one viewpoint or the other.
    Perhaps it is fatalism that has driven many to choose doom and gloom.
    Blaming a columnist from the newspaper who just lost $45million is inaccurate.

I work for a huge mortgage company.
    The morale is, as they say, in the shitcan.
    Business is horrible.
    This is a terrible time to borrow money.
    Everything they say about the financial side of the deal is correct.

Add in the "We've got the fix the bridges!!!" mentality right now and it seems like a time to back off a deal and wait for a better economic and political climate.
    Sure - the Metrodome is aging - but it's still viable, at this point, as a football venue.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

thevikingfan is offline Hall of Famer

sigh this stadium thing really sucks.And to think if it wasnt for the wizzinator and love boat thing we might have been getting the new stadium instead of the twins but the governor and taxpayer dont like the vikings
    :-[.I just have to say that i hate watching the vikes play in that crappy airbubble thats possibly the worst stadium in the league.

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

That has not changed."

Lordy.

It's GAME DAY, dammit!
    Well said.

Again, very sad.
    I can read an article and form my own opinion.
    I would hope that most others can, as well.
    You, like all readers, have a choice.
    You can choose to be swayed by one viewpoint or the other.
    Perhaps it is fatalism that has driven many to choose doom and gloom.
    Blaming a columnist from the newspaper who just lost $45million is inaccurate.

I work for a huge mortgage company.
    The morale is, as they say, in the shitcan.
    Business is horrible.
    This is a terrible time to borrow money.
    Everything they say about the financial side of the deal is correct.

Add in the "We've got the fix the bridges!!!" mentality right now and it seems like a time to back off a deal and wait for a better economic and political climate.
    Sure - the Metrodome is aging - but it's still viable, at this point, as a football venue.

=Z=
    Good point Z.
    Every day you read about another morgage company closing or record high foreclosures.
    I do believe it was just two weeks ago when American Home Lenders went belly up.
    Maybe Zygi is just waiting for the recession to end.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast