Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Del Rio Guest

Re: Wilf has meeting

Well I don't know for most of his time at the helm he had a top tier offense and never got anything going. The teams always choked after a great start.

It refelects on the Head Coach. It might not ALL be his fault, but this is sports people don't take the time to think things through they just read SI and listen to ESPN and if they say it then by God it must be true.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"tarkenton10" wrote:
    Snow in april - I would rather sit our best player and let the team know that a certain conduct is not acceptable from anyone, than win a game. I am not worried about one game but a season, a championship, a franchise. If these guys are that stupid that didn't know that what they did was wrong then they are too stupid to be on this team and should be traded. And they aren't that stupid, they know what they did was wrong otherwise they would be talking to the media. Not running for cover and denying they were on the boat.

I hope Zygie takes a hard stand and lets these players know they had better start concentrating on football or they won't play for the Vikings. These guys need to get their head out their arses and make some plays on the field.

And by the way how pathetic are these guys, they are NFL players and they have to pay for women to come on board and show them a good time. Even people like Cajun can do that!! J/K Cajun!!!
    I am not sure exactly which post you were refering too, but I think you were addressing something that I didn't make clear.

All I was saying is that strong leadership and a system of teaching is better than NONE at all. For example, I have worked in a few large work force environments. Imagine the "Office"(tv show) with 3 times the employees. Well, do you know how many inservices I have had to sit through on office conduct. Once was too many for me, but some people need that reminder EVERY YEAR, even then, a few jack jiggley butts still screw up and cross the line. The thing that these players have to have drilled through there head is when you sign a contract and are earning that much money in a public forum, you are always on the job. It is actually the opposite of our work. They can get away with more at work than we can but when they aren't at work, that is where their conduct is important.

The thing that Wilf was saying is that he wants to put a system in place to help these guys succeed. He can choose to educate or just give them the axe. He was talking about financial success and personal success. I don't think that he gives up on the bad players. There may be a suspension or two handed down and then the learning tools can be implemented.

All I am still saying, if you don't let people know what conduct they should be doing, the learn bad thing and this shit multiplies until it gets out of control. Well, it did. This has been a tradition for three years now, the Bye Week Party that is. It escalated out of control, a few idiots probably crossed way over the line. Give them a punishment, put a strike down against them, and keep them on the team. Put a teaching tool in place to discourage this from ever happening again. If you want a classy organization, you have to think of these things before they happen, you can't just expect adults with money and a juvennile mental capacity to act like adults unless you teach them the way to do it.

The reason why ofices put people though these training courses is not to better the employee, it is to help them from getting sued and putting it back on the individuals. But, it sounds like Wilf wants this to be more of a Family type of environment where the organization cares about the players and the players inturn care about the organization, a win win environment.

Now Onterio, that guy needs to be cut. He has his 3 strikes. Three times with the NFL and on civil lawsuit for conduct unbecoming of the team. That guy needs to go.

The one thing you and I don't keep in the forefront of our average joe brains, is the fact that athletes are different. They are idolized, gives them a false sense of reality. They have gotten away with stuff and have been let by on ocassions, whether it be grades or someting more severe. They see other athletes get away with these things. In their world a lot of what would be considered wrong in our world, isn't that bad. The lessons they learn are different than the social lesson that you and I learn in our everyday lives.

The NFL does the rookie symposium for this reason. They want to educate the players on some of these issues. But what I am saying is it has to be ongoing. Just like it is in our everyday lives, at work.

It sounds like I am making an excuse for the players, but I am simply advocating that it is a QUALITY Organization that will go the extra step and do such a program. It only makes sense. Once you inservice these players with this course, then the rules are clear cut and when they are broken, you can have set consequences and at a certain point, just say bye bye.

The reason why this is not a common practice is people have been turning a blind eye on the athletes for a very very long time. If you set rules and conduct, you have to follow through with it. Then if your star gets introuble, you have to do something about it. Owneres don't want to have to do anything in that situation.

If typing a lot will put an end to a thread, there are plenty of threads I should be typing a lot of info into.

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

I'm not convinced Tice would be so bad if he actually had some quality supporting cast.
    Tice has always reminded me of a young Parcells...can really break some chops in an attempt to motivate the players. But it's pretty evident that Parcells is only able to do well when he has a good staff (Bellichick, Fox, Weis, etc.).

And Red definitely handcuffed the Vikes with his stingy attitude. Good article by Jimmy Johnson of all people about the lack of spending hurting the Vikings. I'll post it if I can find it.

One thing about Tice though...he should stop looking at these palyers "as an extension of his family". They're not his family...what they need is a head coach.

Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234