Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    enlvikeman is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Wilf has meeting

Jerry Burns!

"24 mil under the cap? there are teams 30 mil over the cap, heck that gives us at least 50 mil to spend"

CollegeGuyJeff circa 2006

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"enlvikeman" wrote:
    Jerry Burns!
    sucked!

:razz:

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Sid Hartman: Wilf says Vikings were 'mess' at time he purchased team
    Sid Hartman, Star Tribune
    Last update: October 20, 2005 at 5:41 AM

Zygi Wilf, new owner of the Vikings, said he inherited a mess with an underpaid coaching staff, and the entire operation was understaffed when he purchased the team from Red McCombs.

Wilf met with Paul Tagliabue in Chicago on Sunday, and the NFL commissioner advised him to add to the team personnel.

Wilf previously had decided that the coaching staff needed more help and added Jerry Rhome and Foge Fazio.

"This operation was a mess," Wilf said Wednesday. "The owner never spent much time here, didn't make the coaches, the players and staff feel right, and we plan to operate this franchise like a family."

McCombs was not available for comment Wednesday.

Tagliabue already has praised Wilf for his presence in Minnesota and being on top of everything.

On the recommendation of Tagliabue and Breck Spinner, Vikings director of operations, Wilf has added a director of security in former FBI agent Dag Sohlberg.

"I've tried for seven years to get McCombs to add a security chief without progress," Spinner said.

The next move Wilf plans to make is to hire a director of personnel, a person with knowledge of players in the NFL, who would work with Vice President of Football Operations Rob Brzezinski.

"This person would not be a general manager," Wilf said. "But somebody who knows the league."

Wilf said he believes that because of the frugal way McCombs operated, with the lowest-paid head coach in the league and a coaching staff that ranked on the bottom in payroll, that Mike Tice never has had a real chance to put a winning team on the field.

The facts are that McCombs inherited a team that was way over the salary cap and had to cut it down, but once that was accomplished, the Vikings operated year after year $10 million or more under the salary cap.

Wilf does agree with McCombs that owners can't buy a winning team in the NFL the way New York Yankees owner George Steinbrenner does in baseball.

"The NFL's goal is to have parity and they accomplish it," Wilf said.

But unlike McCombs, look for Wilf to agree to signing some blue-chip free agents if Wilf believes those particular players would help the Vikings compete.

To McCombs' credit, the Vikings came within one victory of the Super Bowl twice under his ownership. But since that one-sided loss in January 2001 to the New York Giants in the NFC Championship Game, and with the club for sale, I don't believe a good effort was made to spend the money necessary to put a top team on the field.

Randy Moss had to be traded so the team could save $7.5 million in salary cap space so the Vikings could sign free agents such as Fred Smoot, Pat Williams and Darren Sharper.

Wilf denied using any vulgar language in his recent meeting with the players, as reported by the Sports Illustrated.

Viking chaplain Tom Lamphere said he was at meeting and verified that statement. "In fact I complimented Mr. Wilf after the meeting," Lamphere said.
    __________________________________________________ __________

This I thought was a great article with the exception of the "had to trade" to save salary cap space statement.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Del Rio Guest

It sounds like to me Wilf may not be wanting to let Tice go.

If Tice can manage some composure and even some wins, sounds like if Wilf likes him he may be around for a while.

"Del Rio" wrote:

If Tice can manage some composure and even some wins, sounds like if Wilf likes him he may be around for a while.
    That was my take on it. It also sounded to me like, as it should be, the "reject staff" will be gone & replaced with a qualified top-notch staff.

Del Rio Guest

"singersp" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:

That was my take on it. It also sounded to me like, as it should be, the "reject staff" will be gone & replaced with a qualified top-notch staff.
    Yep I got that impression as well.

I'm not convinced Tice would be so bad if he actually had some quality supporting cast.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

I think it is spin myself!

Wilf is saying that, and it is true! But I think at the end of the season Tice is gone, there is just to much baggage and I think he will make a clean sweep and get new personal.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

I also believe that Tice is so wrapped up in trying to assist & correct the problems that these "reject" coaches are causing & taking on so much, that he's spread dangerously thin, preventing him from concentrating 100% on his role!

Furthermore, Wilf is a very intelligent man & has talked with advisors & consultants and If he says Tice stays, he's got faith in him and reasons to back it up.

I've also read where Bud himself has said that Tice is coaching the way he should be.

I'm 100% behind whatever Wilf decides. He's got a lot more inside info than anyone here has, 'cept maybe Jackyl.

Del Rio Guest

I have said all along I think Ted Cottrell is a major factor to our lack of success. It is OBVIOUS that the lack of a real offensive cordinator has hurt us as well.

The biggest problem I have ever had with Tice was the way he was hired and in all honestly that is more Red's fault then his own. Tice has 11 games to make an impression. I don't neccisarily mean on the football field either. If Wilf is convinced Red is to blame then he can excuse the poor performance and get Tice the help he needs.

Cords need to make game time changes, they need to make many changes throughout the game. It evolves as the two teams try to counter one another. I think out staff is not capable of making those changes during a game. Given a week they can put together a great half of a game, but when the other team reacts we do not react back. It's ugly and that is not a reflection of the gorilla himself.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"whackthepack" wrote:
    I think it is spin myself!

Wilf is saying that, and it is true! But I think at the end of the season Tice is gone, there is just to much baggage and I think he will make a clean sweep and get new personal.
    I agree, it was just a statement of facts.

Tice's job isn't safe. If it was, they would be working out details for a contract extension right now. You wouldn't keep him hanging. You wouldn't have him go on as the LAME DUCK coach. If the players know he is going to be around, they might have more accountability for their play. If you want him, sign him, don't leave it hang.

I realize that Cowher had some tough times, not quite as tough as Tice, but Cowher worked through it and is doing great right now. He is also the longest tenured coach I think. Do we want to waait until Tices 10th or 13th year as HC to get him respectable???

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast