Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    akvikefan89 is offline Star Spokesman

Wilf has meeting

ST. CLOUD - Minnesota Vikings owner Zygi Wilf didn't hesitate to join in the celebration, singing a happy 90th birthday to Miff Johnson. He laughed at an Ole and Lena joke and had his picture taken, as celebrities do. Then came the questions.

When and how will he discipline players allegedly involved in the scandalous sex party Oct. 6 on Lake Minnetonka? Does this affect the status of a new stadium? Should the players make a public apology for their actions? Could former Vikings coach Bud Grant succeed in today's environment?

His questioners included some of St. Cloud's top business and civic leaders who had gathered for their weekly Rotary Club meeting Tuesday, but at times they sounded like typical fans. Wilf, who initially planned to talk about stadium issues, shifted his focus and discussed his hopes to change the direction of a team by setting boundaries and fixing holes left by the previous ownership.

Wilf talked about adopting a code of conduct, which could include disciplinary measures. Before that happens, he said, he might consider benching players if they were involved in the sex party. The recent hiring of a security director will also help younger players who need advice on financial and other "everyday" issues, he said.

"This is not just a business," Wilf said. "This is an opportunity to lead 50 team members to be competitive on the field and model citizens off it."

St. Cloud was the last of three outstate cities that Wilf visited in the past 24 hours to spread his message, learn the state and get in touch with the fans. At Tuesday's meeting, he said he hoped to hear from Hennepin County sheriff's investigators in a week so he can determine whether any disciplinary action needs to be taken.

He joked that when the team was for sale, he didn't set out to be the Vikings' primary owner "so he wouldn't have to go through this and be a Monday morning quarterback. ... I realize the car we bought didn't have as much gas as I thought," Wilf said.

After Wilf's speech, Bill Winter, president of St. Cloud Federal Credit Union, said he was impressed with the Vikings owner. But fans want Wilf to act quickly on the cruise, Winter said. It will be at least a week before the investigation is complete, authorities say.

Craig Sauer, a former Vikings linebacker who is a real estate developer in St. Cloud, said that what is alleged to have happened on the two boats "is not good" and that he's glad Wilf is doing something about it. He's also glad his daughter isn't old enough to understand.

"Personally, I believe football players are role models to young men and women," he said. "I know if I get a DWI I'm going to end up in the sports pages because I was a Viking."

Waht is that part in bold supposed to mean? Maybe he is looking for a really old school coach?

Sounds like he is really looking to make a respected franchise :grin:

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Wilf has meeting

These two statements alone tell me Wilf is going to be a speical kind of owener.

"This is not just a business," Wilf said. "This is an opportunity to lead 50 team members to be competitive on the field and model citizens off it."

He joked that when the team was for sale, he didn't set out to be the Vikings' primary owner "so he wouldn't have to go through this and be a Monday morning quarterback. ... I realize the car we bought didn't have as much gas as I thought," Wilf said.

Time to fill up that gas tank Wilf, and drive us to a Super Bowl Victory..

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Minnesota Vikings: Fans react positively to Zygi
    By Frank Rajkowski
    [email protected]

Minnesota Vikings players may be drawing boos as a result of their play on the field, and the alleged conduct of some of them off of it. But new team owner Zygi Wilf drew a positive reaction from those who heard him speak at a luncheon meeting of the St. Cloud Rotary Club Tuesday afternoon at the Radisson Hotel in downtown St. Cloud.
    The Vikings are off to a 1-4 start this season, and the team has been rocked by stories of a bye-week cruise on the waters of Lake Minnetonka during which several played allegedly engaged in lurid conduct. Authorities are investigating the matter and the story has made headlines around the country.

Tuesday's visit was planned before news of the alleged "sex cruise" broke. Wilf, who purchased the team from former owner Red McCombs earlier this year, said he had planned to use the occasion to speak about the need for a new stadium.

Instead, he addressed the issue on the minds of many of the team's fans.

"We're trying to take the right steps and take this team in the right direction," Wilf said. "We're facing up to our responsibilities.

"I look at myself as a guardian of a storied franchise and a state institution. It's a responsibility I don't take lightly."

Those in attendance had a chance to ask Wilf questions following his talk and seemed to come away pleased with what they heard.

"From the beginning, I've been listening to his interviews and hearing stories about him," said local attorney John Hoefs. "I've thought him to be a man of principals and he lived up to my expectations.

"I liked what he had to say about supporting family values, and about working through problems the way you would in your own family. I think he's the right man for the job."

Dr. Carolyn Williams, associate dean of the College of Social Sciences at St. Cloud State University, had a similar reaction.

"I thought his talk was very good," said Williams, who discovered through talking with Wilf afterward that the two share ties to Elizabeth, N.J. "He brought up the things I think a team should be about. The players should be good role models off the field. He seems to have a really strong set of values."

Tim Wensman, president of the St. Cloud Rotary Club, said Tuesday's meeting drew a larger-than-normal crowd. Given the recent negative headlines, Wensman was not sure if Wilf would keep his commitment. He said it says a lot about the New Jersey real estate developer that he did.

"I questioned whether he would keep the date given everything that's happened and I'm very happy that he did," Wensman said. "It tells you a lot about Zygi's character and his long-term strategy for the team. He's not afraid to address adversity."

Wilf's speech was part of a two-day outstate swing that also saw him stop in Duluth and Rochester. Besides attending the team's training camp in Mankato, it was Wilf's first excursion into outstate Minnesota.

"We plan to do more of this," said Lester Bagley, the Vikings' vice president of public affairs and stadium development. "He's only owned the team for four months and he's been pretty busy from the start of training camp until now. I don't know if this will be an annual thing. But it's a chance to get out and meet people, to listen to the fans."

Rotarian Craig Sauer, who played with the Atlanta Falcons and the Vikings over the course of his six-season NFL career, said it's important for Vikings team officials to connect with fans around the state.

"I think it's a great idea to have him come around," said Sauer, who sells real estate and helps coach football at St. Cloud Tech. "People need this. I think a lot of people came away from today feeling closer to the Vikings organization."

Such sentiment will prove important as Wilf continues to try and build support for a new stadium — a pitch he did not entirely abandon Tuesday.

"As I've found out lately, the Vikings represent Minnesota more than I could have ever imagined throughout the entire country," Wilf said. "There are bad times, and all loyal fans are embarrassed by them. But at the same time, we need them to pitch in and help strengthen the team when it needs it."

But Hoefs said he is not sure that now is the right time.

"I'd like to see us do a stadium," Hoefs said. "I favor one that will have a minimal impact to tax payers. I hope that it can be worked out before their lease expires at the Metrodome (in 2011).

"But I'm not sure this is the right time to move on that. It would be better to get the Vikings ship turned in the right direction, and to deal with the Gophers and Twins first. I think we have a little more time with the Vikings."

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

SWAYZE74 is offline Starter

yuppers...wilf seems to have his head on straight...the security dept. is a step in the right direction too...

peace...
    peace...

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Zygi is awesome.. Im extremly pleased with what he's done latley for us.. He cares alot about this and it's not just about money for him. Thank god we have an awesome owner

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"akvikefan89" wrote:
    ST. CLOUD - Minnesota Vikings owner Zygi Wilf didn't hesitate to join in the celebration, singing a happy 90th birthday to Miff Johnson. He laughed at an Ole and Lena joke and had his picture taken, as celebrities do. Then came the questions.

His questioners included some of St. Cloud's top business and civic leaders who had gathered for their weekly Rotary Club meeting Tuesday, but at times they sounded like typical fans. Wilf, who initially planned to talk about stadium issues, shifted his focus and discussed his hopes to change the direction of a team by setting boundaries and fixing holes left by the previous ownership.

Wilf talked about adopting a code of conduct, which could include disciplinary measures. Before that happens, he said, he might consider benching players if they were involved in the sex party. The recent hiring of a security director will also help younger players who need advice on financial and other "everyday" issues, he said.

Craig Sauer, a former Vikings linebacker who is a real estate developer in St. Cloud, said that what is alleged to have happened on the two boats "is not good" and that he's glad Wilf is doing something about it. He's also glad his daughter isn't old enough to understand.

"Personally, I believe football players are role models to young men and women," he said. "I know if I get a DWI I'm going to end up in the sports pages because I was a Viking."

Sounds like he is really looking to make a respected franchise :grin:
    I think you have to set the rules before chopping heads. There was no "Team Code of Conduct" before the party, hard to chop someones heaad off if you had no expectations of themselves. Also, to you and I benching of these players for their role in this sounds like a good idea. But if it is your best players, the other players in a team sport have a hard time understanding if they lose and their best player was able to play but wasn't allowed to play. Just one of those things.

Important for everyone to remember, even though you may think that these young men are so morally corrupted and that they can't behave, you first have to have expectations for them on a team level. Just because you had expectations of them persoanally, I did not see any of you sit down and explain that to them. Someone can't know about something that the haven't heard about. You are now saying, "but they should have known." Fact is, these guys come through college (party), get money, go to a rookie symposium for a few days, play football with a bunch of immature guys that are socially behind because they have been practicing, lifting and what ever else it takes to become a pro athlete from the time they were in high school all the way to the pros. You are talking about guys that make this their work 40 hours a week.

Sounds like Wilf is thinking more clearly now than last week. He is planning ahead. He is going to set boundaries, "code of conduct". He is going to do so for the same reason a parent sets boundaries, so he can make his kids(players) better for themselves in the long run. Sounds like that is what this security guy is going to do. The position that was not around during the Red Era. I will continue to say, this is a Red issue but Ziggy should have paid more attention when he bought the team, but that is just one of those learning experiences.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    Minnesota Vikings: Fans react positively to Zygi
    By Frank Rajkowski
    [email protected]

"I liked what he had to say about supporting family values, and about working through problems the way you would in your own family. I think he's the right man for the job."

Dr. Carolyn Williams, associate dean of the College of Social Sciences at St. Cloud State University, had a similar reaction.

"I thought his talk was very good," said Williams, who discovered through talking with Wilf afterward that the two share ties to Elizabeth, N.J. "He brought up the things I think a team should be about. The players should be good role models off the field. He seems to have a really strong set of values."

"I questioned whether he would keep the date given everything that's happened and I'm very happy that he did," Wensman said. "It tells you a lot about Zygi's character and his long-term strategy for the team. He's not afraid to address adversity."

Rotarian Craig Sauer, who played with the Atlanta Falcons and the Vikings over the course of his six-season NFL career, said it's important for Vikings team officials to connect with fans around the state.

"I think it's a great idea to have him come around," said Sauer, who sells real estate and helps coach football at St. Cloud Tech. "People need this. I think a lot of people came away from today feeling closer to the Vikings organization."
    Smoothing things out.

Are you going to fire your brother from the family when he F's up at the next family outing? Are you going to tell your son to get the hell out cuase he didn't follow that rule that you forgot to tell him about.

I like that line about working through this like it was a problemin your family. Totally puts it into perspective for me.

People learn by examples and by what is acceptable from the people around them. These guys have been lacking leadership from this team on and off the field.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"snowinapril" wrote:
    Sounds like that is what this security guy is going to do. The position that was not around during the Red Era. I will continue to say, this is a Red issue but Ziggy should have paid more attention when he bought the team, but that is just one of those learning experiences.
    The position WAS around during the "Red Era", but 'Ol Red eliminated the position. Do you think it had anything to do with saving money? :twisted:

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

we already are one of the least repected franchises. the party on the boat only pushed us farther away.
    We're bringing purple back.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Tru dat Gregair.. We are pushing for the least respected title.. Right up there with the Raiders!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast