Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Benet is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Wilf frustrated over lack of stadium progress

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    Yes, it does happen currently, and the revenue generated has paid for the metrodome many, many times over.
    Now that it is time to build a new stadium, the local community should help pay for it since they will continue to benefit from it.

The bottom line is that there are many cities who would jump at the chance to publicly finance a stadium in order to get an NFL team.
    Wilf has publicly said that he does not want to move the Vikings.
    So as a result the state is punishing him by saying he has to pay for it himself?
    That doesn't make sense.

Plus, the state does pump a helluva lot of money into other, less profitable, ventures.
    How much did the state pay for the Gutherie?
    And this is the fundamental difference in our thinking. I don't believe the state should feel guilty for making Zygi pay as much out of his own pocket for a new stadium as they possibly can. I didn't see Parliament funding the new Wembley stadium (which is the closest comparison I can make because there were threats to build a new English national stadium in other cities) - the Football Association funded it with public money going on infrastructure.

I suppose the question I'm asking, and I understand it's naive, is why shouldn't Zygi have to pay for it himself? Of course the answer is, as you say, a handful of other cities would jump at the chance to pay for a new stadium for him, and that gives him immense leverage in talks. I don't believe for one moment what he said about not moving the Vikings. He's not stupid, if he feels he can get a better deal by moving the team to LA then he would do it. The thing is, I don't belive LA is this Holy Grail that it is being made out to be. We all know teams have tried to crack the market and failed and been sent packing. The Coliseum is a decaying stadium that doesn't meet NFL standards, and there hasn't been ANY talk of a new publicly funded stadium being built. All the talk comes from NFL people who WANT to get another team back in that market - but the problem is, for a team to take in LA it would have to be instantly successful or it won't make as much money as it could do.

Again, I'm rambling.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

What would make more sense and get the ball rolling faster, is if Wilf would put tohether his proposal and take it to the private sector in the form of a stock offering, where private citizens can take their money and put it behind the idea without the ramifications of going through the government process.

He is a businessman and should have no problem doing it. Then, if he does a good job, the investment made by the investors will pay them dividends back that they can either reinvest in the business, or take the profits and do something else with them.

That would be faster and very fair.

What viking fan wouldn't take the opportunity to back the vikings by moving their portfolio over into this?

baumy300 is offline Star Spokesman

This is ridiculous. Get your heads out of your ass*s Minnesota! I'll never love again if this team moves.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

OK, so let's say Wilf buys the whole stadium. The the Metropoliton Sports Commission would take it over the ownership as well as Hennipen County. They will take all the taxes generated by the stadium and all the profits made from it. Now why the heck would Wilf want to do that? Because that is exactly who will own it and who will profit from it. The stadium cannot be owned by an individual. I know it doesn't make sense but that's the way it works.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

I fear to say the Patrots owner built there stadium and has little less money than WIlf. He built it himself, Gillette Stadium, if Wilf builds it then they will come. Period

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    OK, so let's say Wilf buys the whole stadium. The the Metropoliton Sports Commission would take it over the ownership as well as Hennipen County. They will take all the taxes generated by the stadium and all the profits made from it. Now why the heck would Wilf want to do that? Because that is exactly who will own it and who will profit from it. The stadium cannot be owned by an individual. I know it doesn't make sense but that's the way it works.
    Of course, some of those chesdicks who bought that worthless piece of paper that states they own Green Bay Packers stock, may think differently.

I wonder how many of them are sitting around wondering why they haven't received a stock divedend check yet.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

"Nephilim" wrote:
    I fear to say the Patrots owner built there stadium and has little less money than WIlf. He built it himself, Gillette Stadium, if Wilf builds it then they will come. Period
    I don't know how it works in NJ, but that isn't the way it works in Minnesota.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"singersp" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    Of course, some of those chesdicks who bought that worthless piece of paper that states they own Green Bay Packers stock, may think differently.

I wonder how many of them are sitting around wondering why they haven't received a stock divedend check yet.
    Packers fans would buy a turd in a bottle if it had a packers logo on it so that point proves squat.

Good call on Gillette stadium.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123