Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Wilf defends Hutchinson signing

"Gift" wrote:
    In Wilf's view, the Vikings and vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski, the man who crafted the offer sheet, did nothing that was outside the spirit of the rules.
    I am a huge wilf fan but thats a load of crap.
    are you kidding? the rule applied to both teams when the vikings put the stipulations in for hutchs deal..that is very well within the spirit of the rules..the seahawks however had their stipulations apply to the vikings only
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

Gift is offline Coordinator

"olson_10" wrote:
    "Gift" wrote:
    In Wilf's view, the Vikings and vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski, the man who crafted the offer sheet, did nothing that was outside the spirit of the rules.
    are you kidding? the rule applied to both teams when the vikings put the stipulations in for hutchs deal..that is very well within the spirit of the rules..the seahawks however had their stipulations apply to the vikings only
    No I'm not kidding. I think and have always thought it was very shadey on our part. Yes it was technically within the rules, but it completely pisses on the "spirit of the rule" which is to allow seattle to match. I know exactly what people will say to that but regardless of how you want to agrue it, you know, I know & the Vikes knew seattle could never have matched that deal. Where I come from we call that "lawyer ball".

Wilf saying that Rob "did nothing that was outside the spirit of the rule" is not being honest, that is all I'm saying. The Vikes aren't perfect & I don't expect them to be, I can root for a team without thinking they are infallable.
    http://www.purplepride.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6169&dateline=1318052  159

"Gift" wrote:
    "olson_10" wrote:
    "Gift" wrote:
    No I'm not kidding. I think and have always thought it was very shadey on our part. Yes it was technically within the rules, but it completely pisses on the "spirit of the rule" which is to allow seattle to match. I know exactly what people will say to that but regardless of how you want to agrue it, you know, I know & the Vikes knew seattle could never have matched that deal. Where I come from we call that "lawyer ball".

Wilf saying that Rob "did nothing that was outside the spirit of the rule" is not being honest, that is all I'm saying. The Vikes aren't perfect & I don't expect them to be, I can root for a team without thinking they are infallable.
    untrue..they couldve very well matched that deal considering how the guy is going to earn that much either way throughout his deal anyways with the caliber he plays at..they chose not to match it..if they did match it, they still wouldve had like 11 million dollars left of cap space..so im still kind of missing the part about us pissing on the spirit of the rules considering how the seahawks were still in perfect position to land julian peterson and nate burleson on top of retaining hutchinson
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

"olson_10" wrote:
    "Gift" wrote:
    "olson_10" wrote:
    "Gift" wrote:

untrue..they couldve very well matched that deal considering how the guy is going to earn that much either way throughout his deal anyways with the caliber he plays at..they chose not to match it..if they did match it, they still wouldve had like 11 million dollars left of cap space..so im still kind of missing the part about us pissing on the spirit of the rules considering how the seahawks were still in perfect position to land julian peterson and nate burleson on top of retaining hutchinson
    Am I wrong in that had they matched it, they would have had to pay him 47mil this year?
    http://www.purplepride.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6169&dateline=1318052  159

you have to factor in the fact that seattle matching the deal wouldve still given them loads of cap space this offseason..the pill also applied to both teams..seattles version however was put in place because they know we are low on space, and we would be all out of it after matching any deal for burleson..their pill only effects the vikings and not the seahawks..being the highest paid offensive lineman is a reasonable guarentee as hutch was simply looking for the respect he deserved from the seahawks..but to say "this player cannot play more than 5 games in the state of minnesota" is the most rediculous stipulation ever thrown into a contract in any sport

"Gift" wrote:
    "olson_10" wrote:
    "Gift" wrote:
    "olson_10" wrote:
    "Gift" wrote:

Am I wrong in that had they matched it, they would have had to pay him 47mil this year?
    yah man, they wouldve just had to give him his 49 mil over the 7 years..and his deal is backloaded which wouldve resulted in them taking a very small cap hit this season anyways

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

the no more then 5 games in Mn is a direct cut at the Vikings. If this was taken to arbitration I would bet that it's tossed out.

We really should do this.. force them to write a new p.pill that would stifle them as much as it would us. That's what our p.pill did.. it was open to whoever had him.. the reaction of the seagulls front office was cheasy.. and just show'd the lack of inspiration and intelligence their org has.

Rob was first.. watch for others to follow.

DiGiTaL..

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

whiteviking24 is offline Pro-Bowler

I'm just hapy to hear the horns stay.

I'm game for them to have a 3-D look to them

"olson_10" wrote:
    "Gift" wrote:
    "olson_10" wrote:
    "Gift" wrote:
    "olson_10" wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Gift

yah man, they wouldve just had to give him his 49 mil over the 7 years..and his deal is backloaded which wouldve resulted in them taking a very small cap hit this season anyways
    Ok, so they would just have to guarantee his entire contract but not pay it all this season?

Martimus1972 is offline Waterboy

The issue wasn't (and isn't) the dollar amount in these contract's, it's the fact that with these poison pills the contracts become guaranteed. Essentially baseball contracts. Football contracts are all goofy cause they say "Culpepper got a 10 year 100 million dollar contract" or whatever, but you know he's never getting that whole amount. The Hawks would have been stupid, and the Vikings would be stupid, to guarantee that type of money to anyone.
    As for Wilf, he's just sticking up for his man, and all this crap about "spirit of the rules" and "gentlemans agreements" is just that. If it's within the rules and you can get away with it, do whatever it takes to improve your team.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast