Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Wilf defends Hutchinson signing

Posted on Wed, Mar. 29, 2006

[size=18px]Wilf defends Hutchinson signing[/size]

Vikings owner says all-pro guard's deal is within the rules

BY DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press

Vikings owner Zygi Wilf arrived at the NFL owners meetings in Orlando, Fla., on Tuesday afternoon and rushed to the defense of his biggest free-agent signing.

Some NFL owners and team executives have been critical of the way the Vikings pried all-pro guard Steve Hutchinson loose from Seattle with a seven-year, $49 million offer sheet that contained a so-called "poison-pill" clause that would have forced the Seahawks to guarantee the entire contract if they matched.

In Wilf's view, the Vikings and vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski, the man who crafted the offer sheet, did nothing that was outside the spirit of the rules.

"I think Rob Brzezinski did a wonderful job," Wilf said in a telephone interview. "I think what we had proposed was fair. (Hutchinson) was a transition player. I'm sure if the Seahawks wanted to they could have done something different, maybe made him a franchise player, but that's not how it turned out. I think their reaction to us coming back is a much more convoluted way of putting a poison pill together, but that was their reaction."

The Seahawks retaliated for the Hutchinson signing with a deliberately similar seven-year, $49 million offer sheet to Vikings wide receiver Nate Burleson, a restricted free agent, that includes two poison-pill clauses that would effectively force Minnesota to guarantee his contract if it decides to match.

Wilf had no comment on what the chances of that might be or whether the Vikings will decide before Friday's deadline, referring those questions to Brzezinski, who did not respond to an interview request.

Wilf also said he had no plans to discuss the Seahawks-Vikings feud with Seattle owner Paul Allen, adding, "This probably could have been all avoided if they just put the franchise tag on (Hutchinson), from what I understand."

As for adding the three-time Pro Bowl selection to the Vikings' roster …

"We're very happy to have him on our team," Wilf said. "I think it is essential in our coaches' game plan to have a strong line on defense and offense. Just his character and his determination will pull everyone up to a higher level."

Hutchinson is the biggest name in a large crop of incoming free agents for the Vikings, who have signed 10 players and could add a couple more before they are finished.

Wilf, in his first offseason as team owner, said he has been pleased by the way coach Brad Childress, Brzezinski and vice president of player personnel Fran Foley have worked together to improve the talent.

"We had a great free agency to help build on the nucleus of great players that we have," Wilf said. "We'll be well positioned coming out of the draft to field what I would consider a very competitive team."

The NFL apparently agrees, having tabbed the Vikings to open the season at Washington on Sept. 11 as the first half of a Monday night doubleheader on ESPN.

The Vikings will have a different look for that game, with the team expected to unveil new uniforms shortly, but Wilf promised the changes will be nothing major.

"I can say this: We're still the purple and gold," he said. "I don't think the changes take away from our traditional standards. I'll leave it up to the fans, but this is something we feel will give us a little more excitement."

Briefly: ESPN's John Clayton reported that the Vikings will wait until Friday's deadline before announcing their decision on the Burleson offer sheet and that "the general feeling is" they will not match.

• Wilf didn't want to get into specifics regarding the uniform changes, but he said the helmet has been subtly altered. "Same helmet, same horn," he said. "The horn is just accentuated a little to give it a three-dimensional look."

Don Seeholzer can be reached at [email protected]

Wilf defends Hutchinson signing

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Del Rio Guest

Re: Wilf defends Hutchinson signing

• Wilf didn't want to get into specifics regarding the uniform changes, but he said the helmet has been subtly altered. "Same helmet, same horn," he said. "The horn is just accentuated a little to give it a three-dimensional look."

Well there you have I guess. All those people who were saying we would probably keep it just upgrade were right on the money!

Lotza is offline Team Alumni

"Del Rio" wrote:

Well there you have I guess. All those people who were saying we would probably keep it just upgrade were right on the money!
    im down w/ dat.

Go vikes!!

Prophet Guest

The horn stays. That should make some rest easy. The lines getting shored up, check. Everything is on schedule.

Prophet Guest

KFFL
    Vikings | Contract update: Hutchinson
    Tue, 28 Mar 2006 20:02:50 -0800

Minnesota Vikings OG Steve Hutchinson signed a seven-year contract with base salaries of $585,000 (2006), $2.035 million (2007), $4.45 million (2008), $5.45 million (2009), $6.55 million (2010), $6.68 million (2011), and $6.95 million (2012).

Good thing that the horn is staying, Wilf understands and appreciates NFL tradition. Just hope the uniforms aren't god-awful ugly. Maybe they didn't change them that much.
    Proud member of PP.O since April 5th, 2003!

Json is offline GM

Wilf Speaks

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/14212906.htm

This has most likely been posted but I have not seen it so please don't chew me out if it has. Thanks!

Del Rio Guest

Re: Wilf Speaks

"Json" wrote:
    http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/14212906.htm

This has most likely been posted but I have not seen it so please don't chew me out if it has. Thanks!
    It has been posted, 1st page of the Vikings forum.

Not gonna chew you out though just merge it.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Too bad he didn't put REAL horns on the helmets...now THAT would have been three-dimensional!!! :lol:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Gift is offline Coordinator

In Wilf's view, the Vikings and vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski, the man who crafted the offer sheet, did nothing that was outside the spirit of the rules.
    I am a huge wilf fan but thats a load of crap.
    http://www.purplepride.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6169&dateline=1318052  159

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast