Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Wilf: Childress’ job security doesn’t depend on 2008 playoffs

"Overlord" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    It's all to silence the media. Either way though I wish he wouldn't say it. It's like admitting that he would be ok with mediocrity.
    I disagree with all of these statements.

I don't think it's all to silence the media.
    If he wanted to silence the media, he would just say, "Childress will be back in 2009."
    Instead, he said that he doesn't evaluate based on benchmarks such as making the playoffs.
    Makes sense to me, and I believe Wilf when he says it.

I don't think him saying really matters, although I like the philosophy behind it.
    In my opinion, Childress should be judged on his performance, not on chance and circumstance.
    Making the playoffs involves a lot of factors.
    Only one of those is the performance of the coaching staff.
    That factor is probably less important than talent and blind luck.
    Heck, the Browns were 10-6 this year and didn't make the playoffs.
    Even if your coaching staff and team does well, things might work against you.

And I don't think it means that he's okay with mediocrity.
    I think it just means that he has a long term view of the thing.
    In any given year anything can happen, but not making the playoffs one year doesn't mean your franchise is mediocre.
    It's my opinion that you win more in the long run with stability.
    I think that's Wilf's opinion too.
    I also think that he believes Childress is a pretty good coach.
    It sounds like there's not going to be a change then until that opinion changes or Childress leaves of his own accord.
    It will take 2 seasons of crappy play calling t ge this guy fired. That 5 game wining streak at the end of last year, moved him out of the kitchen. He has a long way to go before he's fired. We love being average. 8 and 8 is he goal each season. He we may even go 9 and 7!!! Awesome

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    It's all to silence the media. Either way though I wish he wouldn't say it. It's like admitting that he would be ok with mediocrity.

If he wanted to silence the media, he would just say, "Childress will be back in 2009."
    Instead, he said that he doesn't evaluate based on benchmarks such as making the playoffs.

I don't think him saying really matters, although I like the philosophy behind it.
    In my opinion, Childress should be judged on his performance, not on chance and circumstance.

In any given year anything can happen, but not making the playoffs one year doesn't mean your franchise is mediocre.
    It sounds like there's not going to be a change then until that opinion changes or Childress leaves of his own accord.
    It will take 2 seasons of crappy play calling t ge this guy fired. That 5 game wining streak at the end of last year, moved him out of the kitchen. He has a long way to go before he's fired. We love being average. 8 and 8 is he goal each season. He we may even go 9 and 7!!! Awesome
    Calm down
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:
    "V" wrote:

Do you mean 2 more seasons of crappy play calling?
    I have to disagree.
    Childress has already had 2 years of poor play calling.
    If the Vikings do not make the playoffs this year.
    He should be gone.
    I wonder how many losses it will take to have someone start a Bill Cowher thread again.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"vikingivan" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:
    "V" wrote:

I have to disagree.
    He should be gone.
    I wonder how many losses it will take to have someone start a Bill Cowher thread again.
    See, it is posts like this that make me laugh a little.
    Childress didn't call the plays last year.
    Bevel did.
    Yes, I know some of you believe that Childress still pulls the strings, and I agree that he probably does, but the playcalling was completely different this year compared to last.

In 2006 the playcalling was very vanilla.
    I knew that, you knew that, Childress figured it out.
    In 2007, the only criticism I have for the play calling is the lack of screens all season.
    The rest of the offensive problems were entirely execution.

And no, I don't think that anybody is happy with mediocrity.
    What Wilf said is that the playoffs were not the litmus test of whether or not Childress retains his job.
    That means that if we go 10-6, and just miss the playoffs, he could likely be back.
    It also means that if we go 9-7, make the playoffs, and get destroyed in the first round - he may not be.

I actually think that a lot of Childress's job hangs on the public impression of the Vikings at the end of the season.
    Remember, 2009 is the year for the big stadium push.
    We need to have excitement surrounding the Vikings when the legislative year starts.
    If that excitement is not there at the end of the season, I think Wilf will do some house cleaning to generate some.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    Bevel did.
    Yes, I know some of you believe that Childress still pulls the strings, and I agree that he probably does, but the playcalling was completely different this year compared to last.

In 2007, the only criticism I have for the play calling is the lack of screens all season.

What Wilf said is that the playoffs were not the litmus test of whether or not Childress retains his job.
    That means that if we go 10-6, and just miss the playoffs, he could likely be back.
    It also means that if we go 9-7, make the playoffs, and get destroyed in the first round - he may not be.

I actually think that a lot of Childress's job hangs on the public impression of the Vikings at the end of the season.
    We need to have excitement surrounding the Vikings when the legislative year starts.
    If that excitement is not there at the end of the season, I think Wilf will do some house cleaning to generate some.
    Very nice post my friend, except for the last line.......

You and I both know that the local sports media 9and several yutz's on here as well by the way) will still beeeyyyatch about the Chiller even if the Vikes won it all this year.
    Because those same sports hacks are the normal source of info on the Vikes for 90% of all Vikings fans thier excitement level will always be skewed no matter what thier record.

To think that a 10-6 season would make them happy is just silly.
    In short, they will always find something to spew thier negative drivel over regardless of what reality is.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:

Bevel did.

In 2007, the only criticism I have for the play calling is the lack of screens all season. The rest of the offensive problems were entirely execution.

Offensive problems are always execution.
    If every play was executed like it was drawn up it would be a touchdown almost every play.

I think the play calling last year was considerably better than 2 years ago.
    Though it still boggles my mind why we throw 5 yard passes on 3rd and 7+

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Bevel did.

We need to have excitement surrounding the Vikings when the legislative year starts. If that excitement is not there at the end of the season, I think Wilf will do some house cleaning to generate some.
    Very nice post my friend, except for the last line.......

You and I both know that the local sports media 9and several yutz's on here as well by the way) will still beeeyyyatch about the Chiller even if the Vikes won it all this year.
    Because those same sports hacks are the normal source of info on the Vikes for 90% of all Vikings fans thier excitement level will always be skewed no matter what thier record.

To think that a 10-6 season would make them happy is just silly.
    In short, they will always find something to spew thier negative drivel over regardless of what reality is.
    ;D
    Wilf isn't trying to please the media.
    He is trying to excite the public.
    And a 10-6 finish, even if we just miss the playoffs could do a lot to generate excitement.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

If progress is not made with this team in 2008, Childress should be worried about his job and I think he is well aware of it.
    I am expecting a more competent team in 2008.
    Wilf doesn't have to come out and say it to the public or even to Childress to make it the end result.
    See Singer's comment on Tice.

The fans do matter and it will sway Wilf's decision, he is a businessman first, and fans are required to make this work.
    However, he's selling a product thats hard to alienate the majority of hte fan base, so he has a quite a bit of leeway to put a mediocre product out and still maintain a healthy fan base.

Right now we are picked to be a mediocre team, 16-17 in the power rankings.
    When the record predictions come out we will probably waiver from 6-10 to 10-6.
    Our talent level puts us in the mediocre crowd at this point.
    Getting to 10-6 or 11-5 would be considered IMO a good year for this team.
    Whenever this season prediction polls come out,
    I would guess that the majority of this forum would put us in the 8-8 to 10-6 category.
    Few will be expecting an 11-12 win season or a losing record.
    In a lot of ways we are looking for a slightly above mediocre team, a playoff contender.

Going 8-8 or less will be disappointing and will be hard to hold the faith that this thing is coming together.
    Today's NFL doesn't revolve around 5-6 yr plans, too many pieces change from year to year. Childress should be under some pressure to have a successful 3rd year, if not, than I might have to agree that mediocrity is tolerable by the ownership.

When its all said and done I see us in playoff pursuit throughout the season, with a good chance of making it.
    We will have good and bad games similar to last year, but hopefully we will add a bit more dimension to our offense and make us a serious competitor to the best teams in the league.

I would rather see us lose to a shitty team or two, balanced by beating an elite team or two, to know that if we make the playoffs we actually have a chance of winning.

Beating Green Bay on week 1 will be a nice way to get things going.

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "vikingivan" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:
    "V" wrote:

I have to disagree.
    He should be gone.
    Bevel did.

I've disagreed with the play-calling on numerous occasions, but it did seem to be better this year than last year.
    My main concerns remain: 1) passing the ball too much, especially on 3rd-and-short; and 2) always punting the ball between the 40's on 4th-and-reasonable.
    Childress makes other bad in game mistakes too, such as his inability to throw a red flag at the appropriate time.
    But in-game decisions are only one part of coaching.
    Most of coaching goes on during days other than Sunday.

Nonetheless, I think Childress is responsible for the play-calling, regardless of who is actually calling the plays.
    He's the one that decides who will call the plays, so if he chooses Bevell, himself, or a talking parrot to do the job, then he's on the hook for their performance.

In general, I get back to what NodakPaul said in his third paragraph - the point is that Childress will be judged based on how he does as a coach, and that he could stay or go regardless of whether the team makes the playoffs.
    I happen to think that fan sentiment isn't going to be that big of a factor, because if Wilf believes he has a good coach then he'll believe that the team will come around and the fans with it.
    Of course, fan sentiment is related to the coach's performance, so there would be some saying he was fired because of the fans even if that weren't the case.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

Blog Entries

"Overlord" wrote:
    In general, I get back to what NodakPaul said in his third paragraph - the point is that Childress will be judged based on how he does as a coach, and that he could stay or go regardless of whether the team makes the playoffs.
    I happen to think that fan sentiment isn't going to be that big of a factor, because if Wilf believes he has a good coach then he'll believe that the team will come around and the fans with it.
    Of course, fan sentiment is related to the coach's performance, so there would be some saying he was fired because of the fans even if that weren't the case.
    If we have a bad season and Childress gets fired, it wouldn't be because of the fans per sea.
    It would be because Wilf would need to do something to generate positive attitude toward the Vikings if he wants the stadium to go through in 2009.
    This is not the same as saying, "The fans don't like Childress, so I am firing him."
    He is saying "The general public is not happy with the Vikings, and that affects my stadium bid.
    Changing head coaches is one of the things I can and will implement to generate positive attitude toward the Vikings again."
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast