Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36
  1. #1
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266

    Wilf: Childress’ job security doesn’t depend on 2008 playoffs

    [size=13pt]Wilf: Childress’ job security doesn’t depend on 2008 playoffs[/size]

    April 1st, 2008 – 7:56 PM

    by Kevin Seifert
    startribune.com



    After a few nervous moments over the past two days, we finally caught up with Vikings owner Zygi Wilf tonight. We’ll save most of our interview for tomorrow’s paper (hey, we still need some people to drop 50 cents in the ole box), but we will bring you this snippet.....

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  2. #2
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266

    Re: Wilf: Childress’ job security doesn’t depend on 2008 playoffs

    "singersp" wrote:
    [size=13pt]Wilf: Childress’ job security doesn’t depend on 2008 playoffs[/size]

    April 1st, 2008 – 7:56 PM

    by Kevin Seifert
    startribune.com
    I'll take that with a grain of salt. He said Tice's job wasn't in jeopardy in 2005 as well.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  3. #3
    AngloVike's Avatar
    AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Sandhurst, UK
    Posts
    6,779
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Wilf: Childress’ job security doesn’t depend on 2008 playoffs

    He may not be setting benchmarks but there needs to be a clear improvement in the team and good reason for not reaching the playoffs - otherwise backing or not Childress could be on his way after the season.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...


  4. #4
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Re: Wilf: Childress’ job security doesn’t depend on 2008 playoffs

    "AngloVike" wrote:
    He may not be setting benchmarks but there needs to be a clear improvement in the team and good reason for not reaching the playoffs - otherwise backing or not Childress could be on his way after the season.
    Why?

    Because some fans are disgruntled?
    Does anybody believe that the "Ownership Group" thought that they would put a NFL ready team on the field via the draft?
    I don't.


    I've said it before and I'll say it again, the "Ownership Group" had a plan and they are executing it and one of the major considerations to that plan was that some fans were gonna be disgruntled as they built through the draft and let those kids play even though it would means that they would lose a few games as the kids matured on the field.

    Long story short, it doesn't matter what we say on boards like this or what news paper hacks write in thier papers.
    As long as the FO and Coaching staff continue to execute the plan and the team continues to improve, the Chiller or the FO pukes aren't going anywhere (as evidenced by Spielmans extension).
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  5. #5
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266

    Re: Wilf: Childress’ job security doesn’t depend on 2008 playoffs

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "AngloVike" wrote:
    He may not be setting benchmarks but there needs to be a clear improvement in the team and good reason for not reaching the playoffs - otherwise backing or not Childress could be on his way after the season.
    Why?

    Because some fans are disgruntled?
    Does anybody believe that the "Ownership Group" thought that they would put a NFL ready team on the field via the draft?
    I don't.

    Hmm! I believe you did when we were talking about FA signings. I think you even referenced Thompson & the Packers doing it in your post.

    I'll have to do some checking after work.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  6. #6
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Wilf: Childress’ job security doesn’t depend on 2008 playoffs

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "AngloVike" wrote:
    He may not be setting benchmarks but there needs to be a clear improvement in the team and good reason for not reaching the playoffs - otherwise backing or not Childress could be on his way after the season.
    Why?

    Because some fans are disgruntled?
    Does anybody believe that the "Ownership Group" thought that they would put a NFL ready team on the field via the draft?
    I don't.


    I've said it before and I'll say it again, the "Ownership Group" had a plan and they are executing it and one of the major considerations to that plan was that some fans were gonna be disgruntled as they built through the draft and let those kids play even though it would means that they would lose a few games as the kids matured on the field.

    Long story short, it doesn't matter what we say on boards like this or what news paper hacks write in thier papers.
    As long as the FO and Coaching staff continue to execute the plan and the team continues to improve, the Chiller or the FO pukes aren't going anywhere (as evidenced by Spielmans extension).

    ;D
    I disagree whole-heartedly.
    If the Vikings don't make the playoffs, there needs to be a damn good reason other than coaching failure to account for a big chunk of that.
    Devastating injuries, for example, is something that cannot be controlled.
    But if the Vikings fail to progress on the passing offense and passing defense and regress on the rushing offense and rushing defense, Childress is toast.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  7. #7
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Re: Wilf: Childress’ job security doesn’t depend on 2008 playoffs

    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "AngloVike" wrote:
    He may not be setting benchmarks but there needs to be a clear improvement in the team and good reason for not reaching the playoffs - otherwise backing or not Childress could be on his way after the season.
    Why?

    Because some fans are disgruntled?
    Does anybody believe that the "Ownership Group" thought that they would put a NFL ready team on the field via the draft?
    I don't.


    I've said it before and I'll say it again, the "Ownership Group" had a plan and they are executing it and one of the major considerations to that plan was that some fans were gonna be disgruntled as they built through the draft and let those kids play even though it would means that they would lose a few games as the kids matured on the field.

    Long story short, it doesn't matter what we say on boards like this or what news paper hacks write in thier papers.
    As long as the FO and Coaching staff continue to execute the plan and the team continues to improve, the Chiller or the FO pukes aren't going anywhere (as evidenced by Spielmans extension).

    ;D
    I disagree whole-heartedly.
    If the Vikings don't make the playoffs, there needs to be a gol 'darnit good reason other than coaching failure to account for a big chunk of that.
    Devastating injuries, for example, is something that cannot be controlled.
    But if the Vikings fail to progress on the passing offense and passing defense and regress on the rushing offense and rushing defense, Childress is toast.

    =Z=
    I hear that you disagree but you give me nothing that would convince me that the owner didn't mean what he said when he said he doesn't worry about those benchmarks.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  8. #8
    C Mac D's Avatar
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    13,492

    Re: Wilf: Childress’ job security doesn’t depend on 2008 playoffs

    Damn....
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

  9. #9
    Prophet's Avatar
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17,388

    Re: Wilf: Childress’ job security doesn’t depend on 2008 playoffs

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "AngloVike" wrote:
    He may not be setting benchmarks but there needs to be a clear improvement in the team and good reason for not reaching the playoffs - otherwise backing or not Childress could be on his way after the season.
    Why?

    Because some fans are disgruntled?
    Does anybody believe that the "Ownership Group" thought that they would put a NFL ready team on the field via the draft?
    I don't.


    I've said it before and I'll say it again, the "Ownership Group" had a plan and they are executing it and one of the major considerations to that plan was that some fans were gonna be disgruntled as they built through the draft and let those kids play even though it would means that they would lose a few games as the kids matured on the field.

    Long story short, it doesn't matter what we say on boards like this or what news paper hacks write in thier papers.
    As long as the FO and Coaching staff continue to execute the plan and the team continues to improve, the Chiller or the FO pukes aren't going anywhere (as evidenced by Spielmans extension).

    ;D
    I disagree whole-heartedly.
    If the Vikings don't make the playoffs, there needs to be a gol 'darnit good reason other than coaching failure to account for a big chunk of that.
    Devastating injuries, for example, is something that cannot be controlled.
    But if the Vikings fail to progress on the passing offense and passing defense and regress on the rushing offense and rushing defense, Childress is toast.

    =Z=
    I hear that you disagree but you give me nothing that would convince me that the owner didn't mean what he said when he said he doesn't worry about those benchmarks.
    In a scenario where it was obviously coaching inadequacies that made them fold Wilf is enough of a businessman to know that sending Childress to the guillotine is the only option.
    The question remains whether that is a likely scenario or, more likely, will the majority of the fans go into an uproar with their fanatical subjective reasoning looking for a scapegoat to account for the perceived weaknesses of the team.


    Bottom-line is that the fan's opinions influence ticket sales and the potential of getting a new stadium approved.
    If that's the case, heads will roll.
    The reasons or logistics behind the heads that roll will be played out in an economic analysis disguised as change for the better.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  10. #10
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Re: Wilf: Childress’ job security doesn’t depend on 2008 playoffs

    "Prophet" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "AngloVike" wrote:
    He may not be setting benchmarks but there needs to be a clear improvement in the team and good reason for not reaching the playoffs - otherwise backing or not Childress could be on his way after the season.
    Why?

    Because some fans are disgruntled?
    Does anybody believe that the "Ownership Group" thought that they would put a NFL ready team on the field via the draft?
    I don't.


    I've said it before and I'll say it again, the "Ownership Group" had a plan and they are executing it and one of the major considerations to that plan was that some fans were gonna be disgruntled as they built through the draft and let those kids play even though it would means that they would lose a few games as the kids matured on the field.

    Long story short, it doesn't matter what we say on boards like this or what news paper hacks write in thier papers.
    As long as the FO and Coaching staff continue to execute the plan and the team continues to improve, the Chiller or the FO pukes aren't going anywhere (as evidenced by Spielmans extension).

    ;D
    I disagree whole-heartedly.
    If the Vikings don't make the playoffs, there needs to be a gol 'darnit good reason other than coaching failure to account for a big chunk of that.
    Devastating injuries, for example, is something that cannot be controlled.
    But if the Vikings fail to progress on the passing offense and passing defense and regress on the rushing offense and rushing defense, Childress is toast.

    =Z=
    I hear that you disagree but you give me nothing that would convince me that the owner didn't mean what he said when he said he doesn't worry about those benchmarks.
    In a scenario where it was obviously coaching inadequacies that made them fold Wilf is enough of a businessman to know that sending Childress to the guillotine is the only option.
    The question remains whether that is a likely scenario or, more likely, will the majority of the fans go into an uproar with their fanatical subjective reasoning looking for a scapegoat to account for the perceived weaknesses of the team.


    Bottom-line is that the fan's opinions influence ticket sales and the potential of getting a new stadium approved.
    If that's the case, heads will roll.
    The reasons or logistics behind the heads that roll will be played out in an economic analysis disguised as change for the better.
    I hear ya.

    Heads really rolled when we went 6-10 and then 8-8 and blackouts loomed and there was no support for a stadium.
    ;D

    Fans aren't the ones that will get votes for stadium support, that falls to the little old lady who doesn't watch football and who is worried about taxes and if she can get medicine for herself and food for her cats.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-19-2009, 02:04 PM
  2. Every Play Doesn’t Count: Week 1
    By Prophet in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-12-2008, 01:37 PM
  3. Childress' job guaranteed through 2008, Wilf says
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 11-29-2007, 08:31 AM
  4. New security device for your car.
    By Prophet in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-14-2006, 04:27 PM
  5. Sherman's job security
    By cajunvike in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-14-2004, 11:00 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •