singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Wiggins: ‘I feel we can win the Super Bowl’

Published August 02, 2006 01:21 am

In his first two seasons with the Minnesota Vikings, Jermaine Wiggins flourished in the offense, leading the team in catches in 2004 and 2005.

[size=18px]Wiggins: ‘I feel we can win the Super Bowl’[/size]
    Tight end prepared for new role in West Coast offense

By Chris Jagerson
    The Free Press

MANKATO
    —
    In his first two seasons with the Minnesota Vikings, Jermaine Wiggins flourished in the offense, leading the team in catches in 2004 and 2005. But come this season things could change as Wiggins’ role evolves with the new system switching to a variation of the West Coast offense.

“Jim Kleinsasser’s kind of been pigeonholed as our blocker and Wiggins has been pigeonholed as our pass receiver,” offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell said. “I think we’re going to make them both more well-rounded players. We’ll let Jim go out and catch a pass every now and then. We’ll have Wiggins standing out there and blocking on the end. And that will keep us more balanced offensively.”

That may not sit well with Wiggins, but he’s not letting it show by his response to Bevell’s comments.

“Individual stats don’t mean anything,” Wiggins said. “All I care about is winning the Super Bowl.”

The Super Bowl hasn’t exactly been something that has eluded Wiggins. He was a part of the New England Patriots for Super Bowl XXXVI and with the Carolina Panthers for Super Bowl XXXVIII, and now he thinks this could be the season for the Vikings to fulfill their ultimate goal.

“I know what we’re capable of and I feel we can win the Super Bowl,” Wiggins said. “We have the talent and the coaching staff to point us in the right direction and what we’re going to do is use camp to prepare us for the season.”

A season in which both Wiggins and coach Brad Childress expect the tight ends’ roles to change.

“You have to throw the defense fastballs ... I don’t think you can ever let a defense screw its cleats in the ground. There’s a place for multiple tight ends and there’s a place for multiple wide receivers as well,” Childress said.

“Our job as coaches is to make sure those guys (don’t get one-dimensional with Kleinsasser as a blocker and Wiggins as a receiver). They’re coaching on the other side, too, so you have to make sure when you self-scout, when you look at yourself, you’re not always running with Kleinsasser, you’re not always throwing with Wiggins, those things come out in a heck of a hurry.”

Wiggins added: “There’s going to be a little difference. More quick passes and getting the ball out, and guys trying to catch and run. We’re definitely going to take our shots now and then, but a lot of short passes and slants and that kind of thing.”

To prepare for his changing role, Wiggins has slimmed down and admitted to losing weight.

“I’m not getting any younger,” Wiggins said. “So I’m doing what I can to keep up with everyone.”

Wiggins: ‘I feel we can win the Super Bowl’

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Wiggins: ‘I feel we can win the Super Bowl’

To be fair, he's said previously that he enters every season with that mindset.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

I remember him saying that at the beginning of the last 2 seasons.. Now this is the 3rd time.. There is nothing wrong with wanting to win the SB, but as a team they have to play great football each week to realize that dream..

Warp is offline Asst. Coach

Yeah im glad he comes in with that mindset. Its good to keep an upbeat team. And i do agree we CAN win the superbowl, but WILL we?(i hope so!)

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    I remember him saying that at the beginning of the last 2 seasons.. Now this is the 3rd time.. There is nothing wrong with wanting to win the SB, but as a team they have to play great football each week to realize that dream..
    That is the attitude every player should have.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

He needs to get that in the whole teams head and they might actually do it.

Prophet Guest

Every player should have that attitude....it also makes good discussion material for people that follow other teams.

mnwildfan79 is offline Rookie

I think so too, the difference between me and Wiggins though is that I can put my money where my mouth is on the matter...

30/1 odds here I come!