DCPologirl is offline Team Alumni

Wiggins Anything But A Typical TE

Great article about my favorite player.....VIKINGS stop ignoring this gem !
    ;D

http://www.courant.com/sports/hc-patriots1027.artoct27,0,7602266.story

Wiggins Anything But A Typical TE

Cut By Pats, Finds Success With Vikings

By ALAN GREENBERG
    Courant Staff Writer

October 27 2006

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- The kid from East Boston loves the Red Sox, and he used to love arguing with the Patriots' biggest Yankees fan, the New Jersey-born Charlie Weis, who was then the team's offensive coordinator.

Jermaine Wiggins' voice was a trifle high to begin with, and when he got excited, he sounded a bit like Mike Tyson. And he got excited often, telling his teammates how his East Boston high school basketball team would have kicked their team's sorry butt.

Wiggins "was definitely a character," said defensive end Richard Seymour, a rookie during Wiggins' only full Patriots season (2001) and a teammate for two years at the University of Georgia. "He was the kind of personality that loosens things up in the locker room. He was fun to be around."

And in a dressing room as small as the Patriots' was at old Foxboro Stadium, it was hard not to be around Wiggins, or the sound of his voice. Despite one unforgettable game - Wiggins' team-leading 10 catches for 68 yards in the Patriots' 16-13 overtime postseason victory over the Raiders in the Snow Bowl - Bill Belichick did not try to re-sign him.

"I don't hold grudges," Wiggins said in a conference call this week. "I wasn't upset about anything."

Wiggins is used to not being on everyone's most wanted list. Despite coming out of Georgia - he transferred from Marshall because he wanted to be in a high-profile program - he was ignored in the 2000 draft and signed with the Jets as a free agent. They cut him before Thanksgiving and the Patriots picked him up. He caught only 14 passes during the 2001 regular season (but equaled that total in the postseason) and wasn't viewed as much of a blocker.

"He always lightened the mood, and he never lacked for confidence," Tom Brady said this week, smiling at the mere mention of Wiggins. "He felt he was a good player. And he was a good player. He still is."

After parting with Wiggins and Rutledge, the Patriots signed Seahawks free agent Christian Fauria and traded up in the first round in 2002 to select Colorado tight end Daniel Graham. In 2004, the Patriots drafted another tight end in the first round, Georgia's Benjamin Watson.

Graham and Watson are faster and better blockers than Wiggins, and both have the kind of bodies that make coaches drool. But both have missed time with injuries and neither has caught more than 38 passes (Graham in 2004) in a season, although Watson has 21 catches in six games this season.

Wiggins? After catching only 18 passes in two seasons with the Colts and Panthers - he played in Super Bowl XXXVIII against the Patriots - he had 71 receptions for the Vikings in 2004 and 69 in 2005, becoming only the second tight end in team history to lead the Vikings in catches in consecutive seasons. Only three tight ends have caught more passes in that span. The Vikings signed Wiggins to a five-year extension last year and he has 18 catches this season. Not bad for a 6-foot-2, 260-pound guy who looks as if he fell off a barstool.

"If you're making an instant analysis, when you walk in the door of your first minicamp, you'd be surprised because he knows how to wiggle open," Vikings coach Brad Childress said in a conference call this week. "He knows how to get open in the zone, how to drop somebody in man-to-man coverage. He's improved [as a blocker]. He's a very good competitor."

"He doesn't look like he's going to win a beauty pageant," said Patriots safety Rodney Harrison, who might cover Wiggins when the Patriots play the Vikings Monday night in Minnesota. "He's not Benjamin Watson. He's not a 6-3, 255-pound guy ripped up and shredded [with muscle]. He's not a typical body type. But he's a football player, and that's what you see on film."

"The most fun for me is every time I step on the field I am proving people wrong, because no one even thought I would be [in the NFL] eight years later," said Wiggins, 31. "I have fun, I enjoy the game. Because you never know when it could end. Having the ability to say that I played in two [Super Bowls], one for my hometown team and the other one against my hometown team, is something I will take with me long after I am done playing football."

Belichick this week declined to be specific when asked why Wiggins was let go. Belichick noted the nice touchdown catch Wiggins made last in the Vikings' 31-13 victory over the Seahawks Sunday, calling him "a good, competitive guy. Smart. A tough kid."

And yes, Wiggins is still a Patriots fan.

"Only when they are playing against us, then I won't [root for the Patriots]," he said. "I grew up watching them. It's kind of like being a Red Sox fan. You always got to root for your team. My buddies are Patriots fans until they die, but when they play against me, they got to root for me."

Contact Alan Greenberg

at [email protected]

Copyright 2006, Hartford Courant

DCPologirl:Maybe Randy will make Aaron Brooks look better......roflmao Del Rio: I guarantee he will

PurpleMafia is offline Coordinator

Re: Wiggins Anything But A Typical TE

Am I the only one during games that sings "Gettin Wiggy with it, Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah, Nah Nah Nah Nah , Nah Nah..." ?

I love the guy.

He's no Antonio Gates or Tony Gonzalez, but he fits in perfect in our offense. Plus you gotta love his attitude/personality.
    Retired 12/21/08

DCPologirl is offline Team Alumni

"PurpleMafia" wrote:
    Am I the only one during games that sings "Gettin Wiggy with it, Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah, Nah Nah Nah Nah , Nah Nah..." ?

I love the guy.

He's no Antonio Gates or Tony Gonzalez, but he fits in perfect in our offense. Plus you gotta love his attitude/personality.
    Nope you are not the only one....I sing it on a regular basis!
    ;D

DCPologirl:Maybe Randy will make Aaron Brooks look better......roflmao Del Rio: I guarantee he will

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

I'm pretty sure I have the only Wiggins jersey I have ever seen. I didn't see any when I went to the dome either...
    :-\

Really awesome player. Hard worker, great personality, fits the offense well as mafia said... I really wish he could become a more integral part of our offense.

Of course I always find the obscure players to really root for..

DustinDupont is offline Team Alumni

haha i love em to but the best part about em is his sweet TD dances

Perch56 is offline Pro-Bowler

i believe wiggins is a very good TE and i think brad should throw to him more. he hasnt got that many passes. what happened to the 70+ catches?

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    I'm pretty sure I have the only Wiggins jersey I have ever seen. I didn't see any when I went to the dome either...

Really awesome player. Hard worker, great personality, fits the offense well as mafia said... I really wish he could become a more integral part of our offense.

Pologirl has one...and she got Wiggy to sign it after the Redskins game!
    ;D
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Perch56 is offline Pro-Bowler

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:

Pologirl has one...and she got Wiggy to sign it after the Redskins game!
    ;D
    my friend has one and i am jealous(but it is a old jersey)