Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Why Webb Needs to Play WR

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I have been saying he either needs to be played at WR or at CB for a while now. The only reason I can fathom for him not getting on the field at WR is that he cannot learn the playbook, can't run routes or has bad hands. If that is the case, it still obvious that we need more athleticism in the secondary, especially with the loss of Cook.

So one way or the other I agree that keeping him on the bench with the problems we have at positions he could play seems a bit strange, but then again I am not sure we have the quality in the coaching staff to get him prepared to play either position, let alone QB.

kingpin9995 is offline Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I have been saying he either needs to be played at WR or at CB for a while now. The only reason I can fathom for him not getting on the field at WR is that he cannot learn the playbook, can't run routes or has bad hands. If that is the case, it still obvious that we need more athleticism in the secondary, especially with the loss of Cook.

So one way or the other I agree that keeping him on the bench with the problems we have at positions he could play seems a bit strange, but then again I am not sure we have the quality in the coaching staff to get him prepared to play either position, let alone QB.
    It's all we have heard since Joe came on the scene from top brass as well as media people is that the Vikings have to find a way to get Joe on the field because he is just too much of an athlete not to. The Vikings tried the Blazer package a few times and shit canned it. With the way Ponder is playing I don't see why they dont' have him out there in that package with Harvin and Peterson in the backfield with him. You would think that would be a nightmare for a defense. At least give him some snaps. If they are worried about Ponder confidence that was shattered the last few weeks. The guy has been exposed. Defenses are crowding the line taking away the flats and he just won't pull the trigger down the field or he can't. They rarely use the middle of the field with him which makes me think they have no confidence in his arm and getting the ball in tight spots.

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    He's probably too tall and doesn't react fast enough to play CB. He's fast, but you have to be quick to play CB. Maybe he could play safety, but then again he probably can't tackle. Lets face it, there just isn't a position in football that fits his skill set, except maybe RB. If you can't catch, pass, or tackle, your speed just goes to waste in this league.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I ask you all.

Why is it you think Webb should play WR? What makes you think he's any good at WR? Was it the fact he was a great receiver in college? Wait, no, he was a better QB than receiver in College (Not saying alot)

Is it because he has great hands? Wait, nobody here knows whether he does or not.

Face it, Webb is a gadget player. Great off the bench, but not a starter. Run trick plays, but not a real threat at any other position. He's a faster, slimmer Tebow. That's it.,

Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    Face it, Webb is a gadget player. Great off the bench, but not a starter. Run trick plays, but not a real threat at any other position. He's a faster, slimmer Tebow. That's it.,
    Exactly! And that's why he should have came in in the 2nd half against the Bucs. Ponder was clearly struggling and Webb's usually good and provides that needed spark when he comes in off the bench. In other words, the one thing Webb is good at, Frazier blew.

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
    Exactly! And that's why he should have came in in the 2nd half against the Bucs. Ponder was clearly struggling and Webb's usually good and provides that needed spark when he comes in off the bench. In other words, the one thing Webb is good at, Frazier blew.
    at least Teblow gets in a game.

digital420 is online now Team Alumni
    it's hard to tell what Webb is capeable of outside of the QB position as we've not really seen anything of him doing it at this level. has he ever tried KR duty? are his hands not good enouf to be a route running wr?

we know he has a massive vertile leap, why not try him as a red zone option? line up in the backfield and run for the corner?

and some of the posts above have a very valid point.. we see ponder struggle.. if he's not getting any rythem. why arn't we tossing him in for a run or two? change up something. I know one result IF he does get things moving is.. the big controversy in MN.. that shouldn't happen. no reason to knee jerk ponder yet. he's got the team under his control, keep him at the helm, but I for one would like to see some mixture in there when we see that he's out of sync..

shrug.. i'm just an arm chair coach...

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Webb returned a kick for us once and got hurt the next play.

After further thought, perhaps Frazier is afraid to throw Webb out there when Ponder struggles because he wants to avoid a QB controversy. But if that's the case, Frazier needs to be fired because it only confirms my theory that he's just a big pussy. I'm pretty sure if Webb comes in during the Bucs game and maybe even the Skins game we would have had a better shot at winning both after watching Ponder struggle.

That should be Webbs role on this team, to come in when Ponder struggles to mix things up and provide a spark. As we've seen in the past, teams that game plan for a pocket QB have a hard time adjusting when Webb enters later in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    Webb returned a kick for us once and got hurt the next play.
    Yeah I remember that kick return and it didn't look very pretty either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast