Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    6-KINGS is offline Asst. Coach

Re: This is why we need some kind of roof on the new stadium

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "6-KINGS" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "6-KINGS" wrote:
    Just say no to Domes of any kind.
    Football should always be played outside in whatever Mother Nature brings.
    OK.
    Then do it without public money.
    The stadium needs to support more than just football if we expect the state to help pay for it.
    No public $$$
    Just private investment?
    If that can't be raised in Minny, move the team to football state that will build it.
    Pretty simple.
    Let the people of Minny spend their $$ on social programs all they want. And let sports loving states have all the Pro-Sports teams.
    Has Minnesota not learned it's lesson on Pro Teams and what is needed?
    You want Pro Sports cough up the $$$.
    Or settle for High school, College and semi-pro.
    Get DirecTV and buy the Pro Sports package of your choice.
    Right.
    So your view is that if people don't want to watch football outdoors then they don't love sports?
    That if we would rather make a decision based on smart business as well as passion for sports, then we don't deserve to have a football team?
    And apparently you'd rather watch the LA Vikings in an outdoor stadium than the Minnesota Vikings in an indoor one.

You are entitled to your opinions.
    But if your ultimatum is build an open air stadium with public money or I am moving the team, then the only thing you would succeed in doing is moving the team.
    Is your real name Red?
    Oh gosh no!
    The people of Miiny if they choose to fund the team get a say.
    Their $$ ya know.
    But if the Vikings want an outdoor stadium, then they choose between "fans indoor" or get private funding to build outside in Minny or move the team elsewhere.
    The fans do not own the team.
    They can have an idea or opinion on where and under what conditions football can be played, but more so for the Owners.
    Please remember the Vikes are a "property" and the owners ultimately will determine what happens.
    I suggest the people of Minny keep that in mind when it comes to demands they have.

"VICTORY IS MINE!"

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

I say ... build an outdoor stadium for the Vikings in Anoka County, keep the Dome for whatever people want to rent it for (boat shows, concerts, monster truck rallies, etc..., and say fuck the Super Bowl! Spending hundreds of millions of dollars for a three hour event that most of us couldn't afford to go to anyways is ridiculous!

(That scenario is not foolproof; it has about three minutes of thought into it. )

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"6-KINGS" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "6-KINGS" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "6-KINGS" wrote:
    OK.
    The stadium needs to support more than just football if we expect the state to help pay for it.
    No public $$$
    Just private investment?
    If that can't be raised in Minny, move the team to football state that will build it.
    Pretty simple.
    Let the people of Minny spend their $$ on social programs all they want. And let sports loving states have all the Pro-Sports teams.
    Right.
    So your view is that if people don't want to watch football outdoors then they don't love sports?
    That if we would rather make a decision based on smart business as well as passion for sports, then we don't deserve to have a football team?
    And apparently you'd rather watch the LA Vikings in an outdoor stadium than the Minnesota Vikings in an indoor one.

You are entitled to your opinions.
    But if your ultimatum is build an open air stadium with public money or I am moving the team, then the only thing you would succeed in doing is moving the team.
    Is your real name Red?
    Oh gosh no!
    The people of Miiny if they choose to fund the team get a say.
    Their $$ ya know.

But if the Vikings want an outdoor stadium, then they choose between "fans indoor" or get private funding to build outside in Minny or move the team elsewhere.
    The fans do not own the team.
    They can have an idea or opinion on where and under what conditions football can be played, but more so for the Owners.
    Please remember the Vikes are a "property" and the owners ultimately will determine what happens.
    I suggest the people of Minny keep that in mind when it comes to demands they have.

I guess that is my point.
    If the Vikings want the public to help fund it, then they need to allow the public to have a say.
    And for the public, a roof makes the most sense.

Wilf and a portion of the fans want an open air stadium.
    The state, county, city, and a portion of the fans want an enclosed stadium.
    A retractable roof makes the most sense, followed by an enclosed stadium, and lastly an open air stadium.

And no, the fans don't own the team, but the fans are major roll players.
    A team without fan support is a team that loses money.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"PurplePackerEater" wrote:
    I say ... build an outdoor stadium for the Vikings in Anoka County, keep the Dome for whatever people want to rent it for (boat shows, concerts, monster truck rallies, etc..., and say floop the Super Bowl! Spending hundreds of millions of dollars for a three hour event that most of us couldn't afford to go to anyways is ridiculous!

(That scenario is not foolproof; it has about three minutes of thought into it. )

So you could spend $750 million on a stadium that will host summer events/concerts and 10 games per year, or $950 million on a stadium that can host year round events/concerts, 10 games a year, the Superbowl and the final four.
    Both would be open air during football games.
    But the second option can generate more than double the extra money it cost to build it.

The smart thing to do is spend a little more $$ now, and make more $$ later.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

BadlandsVikings is online now Jersey Retired

Build a huge pole barn on some Minnesota Farm, when the Vikes aren't playing use it for milk cows.
    Then you would have your roof and everybody can use it.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"BadlandsViking" wrote:
    Build a huge pole barn on some Minnesota Farm, when the Vikes aren't playing use it for milk cows.
    Then you would have your roof and everybody can use it.
    I actually like that idea.

Maybe we can get some local uncle goober to manage it

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "PurplePackerEater" wrote:
    I say ... build an outdoor stadium for the Vikings in Anoka County, keep the Dome for whatever people want to rent it for (boat shows, concerts, monster truck rallies, etc..., and say floop the Super Bowl! Spending hundreds of millions of dollars for a three hour event that most of us couldn't afford to go to anyways is ridiculous!

So you could spend $750 million on a stadium that will host summer events/concerts and 10 games per year, or $950 million on a stadium that can host year round events/concerts, 10 games a year, the Superbowl and the final four.
    Both would be open air during football games.
    But the second option can generate more than double the extra money it cost to build it.

The smart thing to do is spend a little more $$ now, and make more $$ later.
    I don't know what the right thing to do is, but I will tell you my opinions on some of the issues.

First, Downtown Minneapolis is a congested nightmare and a shithole, imo. After a game it take about an hour or more just to get on the freeway, you got guys begging for money, you usually have to park a half mile away, which normally I wouldn't mind, but Minnesota in December sucks.

Second, why spend the money to tear down a decent structure like the Dome? Instead of spending $200,000,000.00 to put a retractable roof on the new stadium AND the cost of demolishing the old one, why not keep both? I'm sure there's a reason that makes sense, I just don't know what it is.

And third, a Super Bowl? Would that really pay off, or is it just a bunch of hype and bragging rights to host it? Like someone earlier said, if teams like the Packer and Patriots aren't worried about it, why are we?

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

If that was the only gig in town I would not have a problem with capping it but we already have the excel center, target center,a twins stadium and a Gophers stadium coming up along with a huge sports complex in Blaine. that is alot of competition in the winter and alot of heat to get that retractable roof stadium, which I cannot imagine to be too energy efficient, up from 30 below to 60 or more degrees for a single event.

I would like you to take a pen and paper and figure out the cost of heating that place up for one of these events you propose and then compare it to the cost of just using one of the already existing facilities that have a permanent roof and are already kept at a reasonable temp year around.

I am not anti-sports but I am anti repetition and if we already have taxpayer funded facilities who can handle the cold weather events more cost effectively and if the Vikings stadium isn't going to provide anything that the others can't, then I do not feel it is a good use of public dollars.

After the Vikings get their stadium, Glen Taylor will be next in line wanting a new basketball stadium that can host events year around so I really do not see the need for the lid on the stadium.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"6-KINGS" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "6-KINGS" wrote:
    OK.
    No public $$$
    Just private investment?
    Pretty simple.
    Oh we cough up the money, $8 bucks for a beer, $5 for a hotdog. I say raise ticket prices so those that are going to the games pay for the stadium. Nfl owners are making great money. Take McCombs for example, he purchased the team for like 200 million and sold them for 600 million in just a few short years. Best part is he lived in Texas so he didn't pay a dime in MN taxes on the 400 million he made.

6-KINGS is offline Asst. Coach

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "6-KINGS" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "6-KINGS" wrote:
    OK.
    No public $$$
    Just private investment?
    Pretty simple.
    Oh we cough up the money, $8 bucks for a beer, $5 for a hotdog. I say raise ticket prices so those that are going to the games pay for the stadium. Nfl owners are making great money. Take McCombs for example, he purchased the team for like 200 million and sold them for 600 million in just a few short years. Best part is he lived in Texas so he didn't pay a dime in MN taxes on the 400 million he made.
    That was a sweetheart deal.
    GOD Bless America!!!
    He should have moved them to San Antonio too.
    Just like the Stars moving here.
    We love sports here, and don't mind coughing up the $$$.
    Look at the Cowboys. Instant new stadium/SuperBowl/Soccer Cup.
    It takes Money to make Money.
    Simple fact of business.

"VICTORY IS MINE!"

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast