Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Vikefan05 is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Why the Vikings Will/Won’t Win The Super Bowl

It seems like we are putting together some nice long drives that end in scores.
    Good to see
    Its better to lose the first game than the last one.

We will win it all if we get lucky.

We won't win if we don't.

The Vikings are a pretty good team, but so many things need to go right for you to win it all that it's largely a crap shoot.
    Even assuming you're as good as any other team in the NFL and you get a bye, you still have only about a 13% chance to win three games against good competition and take home the trophy.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"StillPurple" wrote:
    My problem with this team is not can we win if we are ahead. My problem is, what do we do against some team that loves to throw the ball (Colts, Pats, Saints, Cowboys) and they get ahead and then they force the game into a "throwing contest". I really just don't think that Tarvaris can hang with Brees or Brady or Peyton Manning or Bulger or Hasselbeck in that scenario.

I hope I am wrong and we can do that, but I really have my doubts.
    Especially if you ignore the fact that the coaching staff has put together a D-line and some DEs with the intent of putting more pressure on the QB.
    Seems like that happened to Brady last year in the SB, lot of pressure and the high powered offense faltered.
    Tarvaris is but one man on the squad.
    I highly doubt that there is a single member of the Vikings' coaching staff (including the ballboy), that thinks Tarvaris would win in a shootout with Brady or Manning.
    Just a crazy guess here, but I bet there would be a different gameplan.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

C Mac D is online now Posting to P'own

"Prophet" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:
    My problem with this team is not can we win if we are ahead. My problem is, what do we do against some team that loves to throw the ball (Colts, Pats, Saints, Cowboys) and they get ahead and then they force the game into a "throwing contest". I really just don't think that Tarvaris can hang with Brees or Brady or Peyton Manning or Bulger or Hasselbeck in that scenario.

I hope I am wrong and we can do that, but I really have my doubts.
    Especially if you ignore the fact that the coaching staff has put together a D-line and some DEs with the intent of putting more pressure on the QB.
    Seems like that happened to Brady last year in the SB, lot of pressure and the high powered offense faltered.
    Tarvaris is but one man on the squad.
    I highly doubt that there is a single member of the Vikings' coaching staff (including the ballboy), that thinks Tarvaris would win in a shootout with Brady or Manning.
    Just a crazy guess here, but I bet there would be a different gameplan.
    He may not outshoot Brady or Manning, but he can definitely evade the rush better than either of those guys.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

Huh ? In 2007, Tarvaris' means of evading the rush was to break from his blockers and run downfield (leading to injuries).

In that scenario, Tom Brady feels the pressure, takes two small steps to avoid it for 1 second, and then hits his (now open) check-down slot receiver, or tight end.

I can't believe you claimed that T-Jacks beats Brady in pocket movement and evasion.

Dude, no offense, and I don't mean to jump all over you, but QB movement has to do with stepping around in the pocket to evade pressure, not blindly running downfield like a halfback.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"StillPurple" wrote:
    Huh ? In 2007, Tarvaris' means of evading the rush was to break from his blockers and run downfield (leading to injuries).

In that scenario, Tom Brady feels the pressure, takes two small steps to avoid it for 1 second, and then hits his (now open) check-down slot receiver, or tight end.

I can't believe you claimed that T-Jacks beats Brady in pocket movement and evasion.

Dude, no offense, and I don't mean to jump all over you, but QB movement has to do with stepping around in the pocket to evade pressure, not blindly running downfield like a halfback.
    Tarvaris took some hits and had some injuries but that doesn't change the fact that his pocket pressence is developing, after that his intincts take over as he's already proved he's exellent at avoiding sacks. I think its important to take a look at some of the QB's who have lined up under Center the past 2 to 3 years. Most of those individuals were not mobile and took a beating in the pocket. Several times Tarvaris made a sack into a no gainer or a gainer, I'm glad to have a QB that can get that done.

I don't know that Tom Brady is better than Tarvaris in terms of evading sacks. First off you need to take a look at the naturaul abilty, Tarvaris runs a 4.54 40 and brench presses like a LB. Not only is faster on his feet but he's way stronger and able to overcome a grip. Tom Brady may be better at sliding in the pocket but anything outside of that is unusual as his offensive line takes very good care of him and when they don't we know what it looks like.

Blindly running down field? Anytime Tarvaris gets out of the pocket he's a threat, not only is he faster than LB's he's just as strong and he can make someone miss. Would we like to see him become a smarter scrambler? Absolutly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12