Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Why The Vikings Will Succeed In 2008 (Marrdro's Take)

As we start down the offseason path that will lead us to the 2008 season we are starting to see a bunch of teams starting to gut thier teams of over high priced talent or non preductive players in thier efforts to fix problems that they have.

With that said, I thought it would be a nice spin to look at what I believe are the keys to the Vikings success and why I believe that they will be key to the team having a successful
    season next year.

Ownership.

I can't say enough about the Wilf Ownership group and how they have laid out a plan to get this team competitive again and have held true to that plan regardless of how the media has tried to spin it.

They saw an obvious error from the last regime with respect to the number of scouts and coaches needed to not only find the right players but to coach them as well.

Throw in the fact that this ownership group has done some nice things like brining back tailgating to the fans, made a concerted effort (within the bounds of the political structure of the state) to get a better venue and I think we finally have a owner who has a clue.

Lets hear it for Zygi, Mark, Leonard, and Jeffrey Wilf, Reggie Fowler, Alan Landis and David Mandelbaum.
    These are the owners who I believe really want us to have a Championship team in MN and will do everything within thier bounds to get us that team.

Front Office.

Executive staff.

I was a bit skeptical of the whole Triad structure and even got a bit more worried after I watched Fran Foley work within that structure.
    IMHO it was a good thing to let him go (even though there was a bit of a black eye for it) and hire Rick Spielman to act as the Vice President of Player Personnel.
    I really believe that through his leadership and support from the other front office guys like
    Rob Brzezinski (Bryzcheapski
    ;D), they will continue to find us the right guys for the coaches to coach to have a competitive team.

Football Admin.

Not enought can be said about this crew. Headed up by the scouting staffs under George Paton and Scott Studwell, these guys have done a good job the last couple of years finding the players the staff asks for to match the scheme.

Coaches.
    Probably one of the biggest source of discussions over the last 2 years has been focused on this group.
    Truth be told, I anticipate that most of the responses to this thread will be to disagree with me in this area.

;D

Starting with the Ole Chiller.

I for one like his authoritarian approach to things as well as his leadership style however, his biggest asset IMHO is the scheme that he brings.
    Although it isn't as sexy and high flying as some would like to see, it does have it attributes.
    It will be fun to watch the upcoming season as the offense continues to improve (a passing game will come to light) and the defense gets a few pieces to the puzzle that will help in stopping the pass.

Again, props to the ownership group for almost doubling the coaching staff from the previous regime.
    A move that was not only wise from a numbers standpoint, but wise as well when you consider the plan to go with a youth movement to build this team.

Regradless of what most of you think, coaches coach and players play.
    This coaching staff worked miracles last year getting a very young team to a very competitive level last year. This year I think we will see that consistency come through because of thier efforts.

Players
    Here is the heart and soul of the team.
    We have a very special mix of players that I believe will become the best Vikings team ever.
    A very nice mix of youth with key Vets at the right positions.

Are they gonna be perfect next year?
    I do not think so, but because everyone from the Ownership group on down to the towel boy put them on the field and let them learn together, I think we will see huge dividends next year on both sides of the ball.

OL.
    This group will have, for the first time in a few years, all of the starters from last year coming back.
    This is a huge key to the success of next year.
    All 5 starters will be familiar with each other after playing most of last season learning the ZB scheme as well as the Man-to-man scheme used in passing downs.

I am sure the coaching staff will have this group in a room most of the offseason studying what they did wrong when they shifted between blocking schemes, faced certain blitz packages or just flatout screwed the pooch when executing.

I look forward to watching these guys execute thier craft next year.

RB's.
    This area is one of the teams biggest strenghts and I don't anticipate any dropoff going into next year.
    We will loose a staple in Memo but his production can and will be replaced by the scouting staff if the coaching staff wants another back.

One area of improvement that I believe will help in the grand scheme of offensive production will start with AD and his pass blocking.
    Again, this isn't a huge thing to overcome as most Rookies get it by the second season.
    That and that alone will assist with some of the perception of pridictability by most casual fans and flawed sports hacks.

QB. As mandated by the front office, we as fans will watch as our QB of the future learns on the field.
    I know there are numerous threads out there about TJ and I am pretty negative towards him in most, but have been convinced (rightly so) that he is gonna be better next year and the team will be better for living through some of his highs and lows last year.

DL.
    A strenght in this line is also our Weakness.
    Phat Pat and Kevin are huge against the run but struggle at times collapsing the pocket in passing situations or have to come out.
    I look for the staff to shore that up with an addition next year at the DT position as well as some new blood to go with the old at the DE position.

LB's.
    Another strenght that will only get better next year from the time they spent on the field last year as well as the return of a future star in Rufus.
    As out DL gets better, these guys will be allowed to make plays like we expect.

Secondary.
    Another youthfull area that I believe have 3 future stars in Gordon, McCauley and Griffin. Sure they weren't up to a Winnfields level last year but they did hold thier own in most areas and truely benifited for thier time on the field.
    Throw in a couple of Safties and some increased pressure from the DE/DL position and you have a very good group.

ST.
    I can't say enough about this group.
    I thought it was gonna be our biggest weakness last year and it turned out to be one of the best.
    Here's hoping they continue to improve over the offeseason this year.

With all that said, there are a few of you who knash your teeth because you just can't see the future this team has.
    Not sure of your reasons, a) Lack of football knowledge, b) Impatience or c) you just like to beeeyyyyatch
    ;D, but rest assured, I believe this team will be everything we hope for in a team and we will have many more highs than lows my friends.

Always remember and never forget........Just because you don't know his name don't mean he can't play ball.
    The future is bright and nearer than most think.

;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Why The Vikings Will Succeed In 2008 (Marrdro's Take)

Marrdro you are amazing MY FRIEND

In all reality I see the team gelling and working around AP and T-jack... And people will buy into Chilldress and his schemes

We will build around the draft and get nice young up and coming talent

We have alot of extremely young guys who will only grow

I see us as a legit superbowl contender in 2-3 years

"V4L" wrote:

In all reality I see the team gelling and working around AP and T-jack... And people will buy into Chilldress and his schemes

Thanks for your kind words my friend.

Truth be told, I don't see why we won't be a force to be reconned with next year.
    If everyone improves as much as they over this offseason as they did last offseason plus some more talent at anyone of the the 3 big areas (WR, DE, S).

Truth be told, I really am excited about our prospects next year even if we don't do much in FA and just add young talent to those positions.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

V4L

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:

Truth be told, I don't see why we won't be a force to be reconned with next year.
    If everyone improves as much as they over this offseason as they did last offseason plus some more talent at anyone of the the 3 big areas (WR, DE, S).

Truth be told, I really am excited about our prospects next year even if we don't do much in FA and just add young talent to those positions.

I think it all rests on T-jack shoulders basically

If he can make big strides (I think he can) we will be up near the top in the NFC

And who knows what could happen then... Look at the Giants!

"V4L" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:

If he can make big strides (I think he can) we will be up near the top in the NFC

Heres the way I've resolved it in my head.
    I didn't think he would get through any games last year without getting pulled because of his experience level.

Truth be told he made huge strides during the offseason. If he at least makes half the progress he did last offseason this offseason he will be a very servicable back that should be able to not only manage the offense but do things like we saw at the end of the Denver game.

Should be fun to watch.
    ;D

V4L

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:

Heres the way I've resolved it in my head.
    I didn't think he would get through any games last year without getting pulled because of his experience level.

Truth be told he made huge strides during the offseason. If he at least makes half the progress he did last offseason this offseason he will be a very servicable back that should be able to not only manage the offense but do things like we saw at the end of the Denver game.

Should be fun to watch.
    ;D

Ditto

He has shown flashes of a very accurate and poised QB

I think he can continue growing and do this on a game to game basis

Vikes, even with a hard schedule next year.. 10-6

dmw14 is offline Training Camp

Great stuff you two, I think the past couple years of ups and downs will finally pay off. Despite what some think Chiller is growing as a HC as well. The more this young team plays together the better they will be. Unless we get a shot at a quality DB in FA I think we should go after a DE and WR in FA to compliment what we have and I as well look for us to compete next year.

Enjoy the off season, there's alot to enjoy thru April.

"dmw14" wrote:
    Great stuff you two, I think the past couple years of ups and downs will finally pay off. Despite what some think Chiller is growing as a HC as well. The more this young team plays together the better they will be. Unless we get a shot at a quality DB in FA I think we should go after a DE and WR in FA to compliment what we have and I as well look for us to compete next year.

Enjoy the off season, there's alot to enjoy thru April.
    Thanks for your kind comment.

I agree that the Chiller is learning as well.
    Old saying, when a man thinks he knows everything, something will come along to teach him he doesn't.

Excellent post.

Jilly is offline Coach

Excellent post Marrdro! Your outlook for this team is so optimistic and convincing that I can't help but become a believer. I'm looking forward to the upcoming season.

Marrdro for President!

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

I for one like his authoritarian approach to things as well as his leadership style however, his biggest asset IMHO is the scheme that he brings.
    Although it isn't as sexy and high flying as some would like to see, it does have it attributes.
    This is the only area where I may have disagreement with you Marr. I think is offense is too "vanilla." If the fans can see what's coming, so can the defense. What was really successful for him last year was when he would throw in a "trick play." I'm not saying he should do that all the time, but he does, IMHO have to mix up the formations and play calling a bit.
    And as someone else said, the whole key to the offense this year rests on the shoulders of TJ. Is he up to it. As much as I think he's improving a lot, I think he still needs some more time. Despite the outcries, I'd still like to see the Vikes grab McNabb if not as a starter as a quality backup. I'd hate to go through another season with Bollinger or Holcomb as the backups.
    And I also think the key to TJ's success will be with the offensive line blocking and blocking in the backfield.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast