Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    brandsp is offline Rookie

Re: why the vikings will be a powerhouse if fowler gets the

I was just stating from an article form the Star Tribune about having one or two of his friends in front office.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"vegasvike" wrote:
    WHOA wait a minute Fowler is in the process of buying a pro-football team worth 625 million dollars (priceless to us fans) do you really think that he would be stupid enough to hire some friends just because? Or that all his friends are BLACK? Let's be real about this, why is Ozzie Newsome in the position that he is in? he's qualified that's why
    I don't think he meant it that way.

That is the argument that I am taking also about the players. The players know they are wualified to play in the NFL. The elite players know they are so much so that they get to choose where they play on many different factors, city, money, tradition.... WHy limit your options based on the orientation of the Owner.

Also, there have been minority leaders in KEY positions, like OZZIE and players didn't flock his direction. TO didn't necessarily like him and made some statements that may or may not be true. Many variables play into a PERSONS decision making process. Keep an OPEN MIND.

Let's keep it civil or this thread will more than likely get shut down. A reminder to ALL that read this.

If people aren't aloud to voice there opinions, and read others, it is hard for others to learn from the positives that can come from a discussion. IMO

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

I seriously doubt that anyone worth mentioning will sign with Minnesota because the owner is black. How many white guys have signed with a team because the Coach was Catholic/Methodist/Baptist or Irish/German/Italian? None.

Players go to a team for the following reasons:

1: Money.
    2: Money
    3: Money
    4: Win a Superbowl
    5: Money
    6: Money
    7: They want to play with a Player already ON that team.
    8: Money
    9: Money
    10: Location

Oh, did I mention MONEY?

What having a Black owner will get us is a footnote in the Pro Football record books and...well...that's about it. Players may talk in interviews about stuff like that, but the bottom line is the almighty green-back, followed by the opportunity to win the Superbowl.

The day that all the black Pro-Bowlers say, "I'll play in Minnesota for league minimum because Reggie owns 'em"...and actually do it...is the day I give any credibility to that theory (That Fowler will draw players).

Caine

Paulbedy59 is offline Coordinator

Cain has it pegged about right !
    If winning isn,t everything,why keep score?

briboy75 is offline Asst. Coach

I think this is a stupid thread for the following reasons:

1) If having black leadership were somehow important for signing good players, why does New England keep winning the superbowl? Look at chicago and arizonas record. The best team with a black coach is the colts. The best player on thier team (Manning), isn't black.

2) Not all good players are black.

3) Players want to win want to win and get paid, neither of which has anything to do with skin color.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"Caine" wrote:
    I seriously doubt that anyone worth mentioning will sign with Minnesota because the owner is black. How many white guys have signed with a team because the Coach was Catholic/Methodist/Baptist or Irish/German/Italian? None.

Players go to a team for the following reasons:

1: Money.
    2: Money
    3: Money
    4: Win a Superbowl
    5: Money
    6: Money
    7: They want to play with a Player already ON that team.
    8: Money
    9: Money
    10: Location

Oh, did I mention MONEY?

What having a Black owner will get us is a footnote in the Pro Football record books and...well...that's about it. Players may talk in interviews about stuff like that, but the bottom line is the almighty green-back, followed by the opportunity to win the Superbowl.

The day that all the black Pro-Bowlers say, "I'll play in Minnesota for league minimum because Reggie owns 'em"...and actually do it...is the day I give any credibility to that theory (That Fowler will draw players).

Caine
    I would have to agree with Caine here. Athletes do care about winning, don't get me wrong. But, they are drawn by the dollars too.

There are exceptions though. A lot of times a garbage team may put of the dough, but a player may not want to play there because there is no chance of winning squat or making himself more marketable with that team.

Del Rio Guest

[size=18px]Michaelmazid:[/size]

Well I think you are right to a certain extent. And it is just a fact. No the majority of players do not just go for the money.

I live in Utah. It is a known fact that our Basketball team has a hard time recruiting black athletes. Now I do not think it's because of the owners persay but more the area in which they would live. BUT if we did get a black owner or a black coach I guarantee we would get more athletes.

However in this case, in Minnesota I don't think it will have the effect you are talking about. If it was a case like Utah where a lot of the players are white then yes. A majority of the Vikings are allready african american. I think your hypothesis is right but only under specific controls and those controls are not in place in Minnesota.

That being said you have to be naive to think having a black owner wont attract a few athletes. There are people that are so into anything groundbreaking when it comes to race (and this would be groundbreaking) that they would come out in support of it. There will be a few. But I'm not sure it justifies the title powerhouse.

And I'm not sure why you are associating powerhouse and a teams success due to the number of black athletes it has.

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

I hate to say it; but Cain's right on I think

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

I specifically mentioned that Fowler being black will be a recuriting tool for us. Like I said, If all things were held constant (contract, MONEY, locationa and so on), don't you think that players would rather play for a black owner instead of a white owner?

Del Rio Guest

Yes I think some would but the majority would not care.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast