View Poll Results: Do you want to see the Vikings pass or run more? (votes are public)

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • More run plays.

7 58.33%
  • More pass plays.

5 41.67%
  • I don't know

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Why The Vikings Should Run

More passing by offenses leading to more injuries to QBs

This is for all of those saying that the NFL has become a pass oriented league where the run game is outdated and the Vikings need to follow the heard!

As of right now, the pass game is definitely the big thing around the league, it has been so for the last years and it seems to be more and more apparent. Just take a look at the best teams in the league: Patriots, Packers, Saints, Colts. There should no co-incident that they have the best QB's in the league.

Correction: the Colts with a 0-4 record is actually one of the worst teams right now, but hey wait. Peyton Manning has been sidelined because of injury this season. Think that's just a co-incident too?

... But I didn't make this thread to explain why the passing game is dominating the league. That should not be a question. What I'm trying to say is that the Vikings should not abandon the run offense. Quite the opposite, I think we should run MORE.

Wait... WHAT!? Why should the Vikings do the opposite of what's apparently giving the best results? HEY be trippin'! Sorry, I'm not (at least I don't think so).

Reason Number One: Trends Come And Go

What happens when "every" offense starts to pass for the majority of the snaps, implement more spread offenses, and use lighter and faster players? Simple: the defenses has to adjust by incorporating more pass stopping schemes like blitz packages and use lighter and faster players to keep up with the speed and stretched out offense. The safety position is already heavily focused at stopping the pass and the heavy hitters seems to be a dying race (also in part of the recent focus on player safety and the strict rules.) and the linebackers are more and more asked to drop in coverage. The defensive end is so focused at racking up sacks, but half of the job - the run stopping part - seems to be nearly forgotten in today's media.

Imagine everyone switching to a more pass oriented defense to keep up with the offenses. Not an unlikely scenario at all, but let's say the Vikings goes against the trend and stick with the run. Suddenly, the Vikings will be the new hot trend as the pass focused defenses with their light and pass focused rosters can't handle the run as they are not made for it. Simple as that.

Reason Number Two: Less Pressure On The QB

A good running game can be a QB's best friend. Do you think Mark Sanchez and Joe Flacco would have had so much success in their rookie year without the running back taking some of the pressure? Without a running game, the QB is asked to win games. With a running game, the QB is only asked to manage the game. BIG difference. As the article linked above explains: Less pass plays means also less risk of injuries to the precious QB.

Reason Number Three: Less Pressure On The Defense

A running team that can move the chains gives its defense a much longer time to recuperate and collect themselves, and at the same time, causes the opposing defense to tire quicker. It's a win-win situation.

Reason Number Four: Purple Jesus

I like to call him Purple Moses as I believe he will take the Vikings to the "promised land"... if the coaches give him the opportunity of course. Yes, Adrian is leading the league in rushing attempts, but do not let the stats fool you! If anything, it says more about the pass oriented offenses in today's NFL because Adrian Peterson is averaging 20 carries per game. Five years ago, 20 carries would be considered "little" for a good running back. Especially for a running back who happens to be arguably the NFL's best runner of the decade with incredible endurance and the ability to take the run both to the inside and outside with his one-of-a-kind blend of speed and strength. (*catching my breath*)

This is old news for many Vikings fans and it doesn't only include Adrian Peterson. Percy Harvin is also a special player that the fans would like to see utilized more. It's like we are saving them for something, but guess what! Time is now!!! Peterson and Harvin are not getting younger (still young though) and they're top trained professional athletes who are not afraid to work up some sweat. What's the point of saying "we're gonna give 100 % every game" if you don't get 100 % out of your best players?

I also would like to see more creativity in the offense. Percy Harvin is killing defenses on reverses and has already set team rushing records for a WR. As of four weeks, Percy has 12 rushing attempts for 141 yards. That's an astonishing average of 11,8 yards per carry. Not only is he very successful as a runner, but he also distracts the defense from ganging up on Adrian Peterson, freeing up more space for Adrian to work on the inside. Harvin was used a lot out of the backfield in college and for a good reason. He's ridiculously explosive and runs harder than many running backs. He's like a mini A.D.

Last words to the coaches: PATIENCE.

The key word to a running game is patience. Don't quite if you get a couple of no gains or even losses of yards. The running game requires patience. Not even Adrian Peterson can make a good run on every single play and he's at his best when he gets going late in the game.

That's all folk. Take care!

--- Hey ---

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Watch the game on Sunday. AD often ran and then almost stopped when he reached the line, because there were no holes. They continue to try to run him between the tackles, and the line isn't creating openings. I thought the run-pass balance was pretty good this past Sunday, but he just isn't getting the opportunities to make the big runs we all have come to expect from him.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

HEY
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Watch the game on Sunday. AD often ran and then almost stopped when he reached the line, because there were no holes. They continue to try to run him between the tackles, and the line isn't creating openings. I thought the run-pass balance was pretty good this past Sunday, but he just isn't getting the opportunities to make the big runs we all have come to expect from him.
    Yep, I agree. A good line makes a running back so much better. I think our O-line used to be better run blockers before. I re-watched all the rushing attempts Adrian Peterson had in his single game record performance against the Chargers the other day and man I wish we had that O-line every game. The blocking was ridiculously good. Unfortunately, I think it has something to do with the weak roster Chargers had at the time.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    The problem with that analogy is the the players on defense are just plain getting faster than they used to be and that makes it much harder to be successful running the ball than it used to be.

Second of all the run limits the areas of the field you can attack because you have to go directly through the line to get from point A to point B. The rules and the league understand that attacking the whole field is both more exciting to the average rube and also more prone to vulnerabilities than the line of scrimmage.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    The thing that's being overlooked here is AD's 2nd half stats;

1st half: 47 attempts, 274 yards, 5.8 YPC, 3 TD's, 12 - 1st downs, longest run: 46 yards

2nd half: 34 attempts, 102 yards, 3.0 YPC, 0 TD's, 4 - 1st downs, longest run: 9 yards

AD was supposed to be the type of runner that wears defenses down & then excels in the second half of the game. That isn't happening.

AD is no longer All Day. HD (1/2 Day) is more applicable so far this year.

Defenses have him pegged, but we continue to do the same thing over & over again, expecting a different result & it appears as if the defenses are wearing AD down in the second half, rather than the other way around.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

HEY
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post

1st half: 47 attempts, 274 yards, 5.8 YPC, 3 TD's, 12 - 1st downs, longest run: 46 yards

2nd half: 34 attempts, 102 yards, 3.0 YPC, 0 TD's, 4 - 1st downs, longest run: 9 yards

AD was supposed to be the type of runner that wears defenses down & then excels in the second half of the game. That isn't happening.

Defenses have him pegged, but we continue to do the same thing over & over again, expecting a different result & it appears as if the defenses are wearing AD down in the second half, rather than the other way around.
    Good post! I like it: HD. LOL!

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator
    The Vikings should run, because if they don't we will catch them and beat them up.

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries
    I just want more plays overall..

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

Gift is offline Coordinator
    Running & defense is no longer the key to winning, sad but true. Ok, not really sad, just true. Throw the damn ball like every other team in the NFL!
    http://www.purplepride.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6169&dateline=1318052  159

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post

Something tells me it's not him that is ineffective in the second half, but the playcalling and the offensive line.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast