Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re:Why the Vikings Should Have Pursued Donovan McNabb

Tyler Thigpen.
    "You can look pretty smart if you have a knack for planning ahead. That's Ted. The Packers are in good hands." - Ron Wolf

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re:Why the Vikings Should Have Pursued Donovan McNabb

I haven't exactly been known to be the most strident TJ supporter but I would take my chances on Jackson any day over McNabb.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Re: Why the Vikings Should Have Pursued Donovan McNabb

Zeus wrote:
    NodakPaul wrote:
    Meh.

Hindsight is often confused with wisdom. Even if Favre doesn't come back (I still think he is), I don't think that going after cNabb would have been worth it at the time. You trade for McNabb and Favre definately doesn't play for the Vikings in 2010. IMHO 1 year of Favre gives us a better chance of making the superbowl than 5 years of McNabb.
    McNabb is one and done with the Redskins. If people are desperate to have him, he can be in the TC for 2011.

=Z=
    Except we'll likely be waiting to here from favre come training camp 2011.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

jmcdon00 wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    NodakPaul wrote:
    Meh.

Hindsight is often confused with wisdom. Even if Favre doesn't come back (I still think he is), I don't think that going after cNabb would have been worth it at the time. You trade for McNabb and Favre definately doesn't play for the Vikings in 2010. IMHO 1 year of Favre gives us a better chance of making the superbowl than 5 years of McNabb.
    McNabb is one and done with the Redskins. If people are desperate to have him, he can be in the TC for 2011.

=Z=
    Except we'll likely be waiting to here from favre come training camp 2011.
    Nope, there will be a lockout. Enjoy this season because things are going to be very different the next time teams take the field.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

Johnson14 wrote:
    Think the guy who posted this in the comments was spot on..

Weather or not Brett Favre retires, the vikings screwed themselves. They could have had several quaterbacks that were and could have been more capable than Tjack, or Sage.

I'd swap the word "Vikings" with Childress, but other than that pretty much my thoughts exactly.
    I think the fact that he starts out with "weather" instead of whether says it all for his intelligence. The simple fact is TJ is a good QB and Favre is a great QB. A good deal of the teams in the NFL would be better with Favre than with the QB they have. We had a chance to go all the way last year and with Favre we have a chance to go all the way this year. How is that screwing ourselves? We have a great team now on the ground. We are not building for the future, we are trying to win it all now.

WWBGD

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

RK. wrote:
    Johnson14 wrote:

Weather or not Brett Favre retires, the vikings screwed themselves. They could have had several quaterbacks that were and could have been more capable than Tjack, or Sage.

I'd swap the word "Vikings" with Childress, but other than that pretty much my thoughts exactly.
    I think the fact that he starts out with "weather" instead of whether says it all for his intelligence. The simple fact is TJ is a good QB and Favre is a great QB. A good deal of the teams in the NFL would be better with Favre than with the QB they have. We had a chance to go all the way last year and with Favre we have a chance to go all the way this year. How is that screwing ourselves? We have a great team now on the ground. We are not building for the future, we are trying to win it all now.
    The caveat being "If Favre plays"...there's no way Jackson gets us there.

Caine

so-cal vike is offline Team Alumni

Caine wrote:
    RK. wrote:
    Johnson14 wrote:

Caine
    That's right. Without the great and illustrious ego the Vikings can't possibly get to or win the Super Bowl. Though they couldn't do it with him either so... :unsure:

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

so-cal vike wrote:
    Caine wrote:
    RK. wrote:
    Johnson14 wrote:

Caine
    That's right. Without the great and illustrious ego the Vikings can't possibly get to or win the Super Bowl. Though they couldn't do it with him either so... :unsure:
    And yet with him, we got closer than we have been since 98... And I think with him again this year we stand a pretty good chance, while without him I highly doubt it.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

NodakPaul wrote:
    so-cal vike wrote:
    Caine wrote:
    RK. wrote:
    Johnson14 wrote:

Caine
    And yet with him, we got closer than we have been since 98... And I think with him again this year we stand a pretty good chance, while without him I highly doubt it.
    I'm not so sure of exactly how good are chances with him really are. His lack of mobility was severely exposed in that Saints game & with our line not improving over the offseason, the vunerability of that pocket still exists.

I totally expect other teams/coaches have watched film of that game & will pursue a similar defense against Favre & the Vikings to try & physically beat him down.

This is where I hope the Vikings will use Jimmy K a lot more on the left side to be a buffer between Favre & Bryant "The Sieve" McKinney for added protection on the blind side.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

singersp wrote:
    NodakPaul wrote:
    so-cal vike wrote:
    Caine wrote:
    RK. wrote:
    Johnson14 wrote:

Caine
    I'm not so sure of exactly how good are chances with him really are. His lack of mobility was severely exposed in that Saints game & with our line not improving over the offseason, the vunerability of that pocket still exists.

I totally expect other teams/coaches have watched film of that game & will pursue a similar defense against Favre & the Vikings to try & physically beat him down.

This is where I hope the Vikings will use Jimmy K a lot more on the left side to be a buffer between Favre & Bryant "The Sieve" McKinney for added protection on the blind side.
    I really don't think that many teams are going to use the constant pressure approach that the Saints did. Yeah, it got to Favre occasionally, but it also allowed him to pick apart the defense and move the ball fairly steadily and put up 28 points. The only reason it wasn't more is because we couldn't hold on to the damn ball. Not very many teams are going to be able to score enough against MN to make that strategy successful.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast