Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Why the Vikings Deserved it

Hello Vikings fans! :-)

I'm not trolling, which is why I waited until now to tell you why the Packer Nation took such a perverse delight in your misfortunes in the Arizona game. Literally nothing could have been sweeter, had it been the Bears it would have been merely a pale reflection, because it's hard to maintain the true emotion of a rivalry when you give them their regularily scheduled whupping twice per year--every year. Even when they go 13-3.

The Vikings however, they had it coming like no Packer rival in half a century. You see, I was born in 1969, when I grew up the Pack was pathetic. We traded like a decade of draft choices for John Hadl to play (poorly) for us maybe one or two seasons. But every Sunday as a kiddie the whole extended family met at my grandparent's house to watch the Pack lose yet again. I will never forget '78 when we started something like 7-2 and managed to miss the playoffs by losing just about all the rest of our games and tying the goddamn Vikings (who won like their sixth Central Division Championship in a row, not that it ever did them any good) at 8-7-1 because we couldn't do more than tie them in a crucial game. We were so delusional in our deprivation we thought David Whitehurst might lead us to a Championship.

The Vikings, outside '72, won the Central Division...what was it, every other time in the Seventies? Something like that? EVERY SINGLE YEAR as a child trying to love my Packers the Vikings were there to give them a facebath in the yellow snow. At the most cruel and opportune times too, when we were trying to get to just ONE playoff game, when you went EVERY SINGLE YEAR.

After that Lynn Dickey returned--and we were a perennial contender---for a .500 season. Dickey to Lofton--all Sunday long--or whichever defensive back(s) were defending him. Dickey threw 29 interceptions one year, but at least he was fun to watch after David Whitehurst. No defense, no running game, no offensive line, all we had was Lynn Dickey, who could do only one thing: throw the ball as long as some linebacker wasn't squatting in his face but fell down when anyone breathed heavy in his general direction, (after having his leg broken brutally twice on sacks Dickey didn't take any chances) and James Lofton who was a great player trying to prop up a miserable team.

After that it got worse, we were a 4-12 team for several years and then one magical year a fellow by the name of Don Majkowski showed up off the scrap pile and had an ungodly season and we were 10-6--and missed the goddamn playoffs anyway, thanks to the miserable Vikings who snuck in--again--and blew their chance--yet again. So the best record the Pack had in my living memory until 1993 was of a season where we missed the playoffs but beat the Bears at their apex in the "after further review, the Bears still Suuck!" game.

But the Vikings had one more trick up their sleeve before they were finished with this two decades of torture. In '92 we had another (our Majik fizzled out really quick :-() exciting young quarterback who was about to take us to our first playoff game in a non-strike year in two decades. Twenty YEARS! Viking Fans have NEVER been so deprived. Yet who is there at the very end to make sure they piss all over the hopes and prayers of Packer Fans worldwide? The Insufferable Vikings yet again. I watched you manhandle us that game like you were a particularly cruel cat toying with a helpless baby mouse.

That was a dozen years ago, and as you know, that exciting young quarterback brought the Pack back to prominance, and again gave us something that has eternally denied the Vikings. I see you talk of him with the same disparragement a generation of Packer fans had for your great quarterback. Going from the (rather good actually) Packer Hater jokes on this website you now seem to loathe the Packers *almost* as much as we hated the Vikings for just about a generation.

But imagine if there'd been no playoffs at all for you, and every single time you had a chance it was ALWAYS the Pack breaking your heart? It would have been even worse then, wouldn't it have been? If it was the Pack who took you out in '98 after that missed field goal and beat you like dogs in '00 it would have been just about unbearable, wouldn't it?

Thus that Act of God that ended your season was merely divine justice. Payback for that twenty years of humiliation you sujected us to, and your pompous smack after you were 6-0. The hubris that slayed Patrocules and others whom gods destroy.

I think I will die before I feel that good again, nothing could have been sweeter. Now you know how it felt in '78, '89 and '92. You will grow up with bile in your hearts, corrupted by hate until you can't see straight and morph into something resembling an Eagles Fan. The final and cruelest blow.

*grin*
    "He either fears his fate too much,
    Or his deserts are small,
    Who dares not put it to the touch,
    To win or lose it all. "

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

funny stuff, and welcome. I saw the name Frozen Tundran and had to approve that membership. LOL

Yes, we've whooped your butts, and you've whooped ours. Thus the great rivalry. To 2004: [Beer]

So you came to see a real football teams message board cause the Packers don't have one. Arrogant fudgepacker fans get off our board... We will smoke your butts next year...

LAVike is offline Pro-Bowler

Well, you gotta admire the "War and Peace" novella that guy wrote . . . good Lord, that's a lot of typing . . . I didn't know Packer fans could sustain a train of thought for that long!
    "Veni, Vidi, Vikings!"--Julius Caesar

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by webmaster

funny stuff, and welcome. I saw the name Frozen Tundran and had to approve that membership. LOL

Yes, we've whooped your butts, and you've whooped ours. Thus the great rivalry. To 2004: [Beer]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Heh, after reading through your site some more, I was pretty much sure I wouldn't even get approved, especially after I listed my profession as "Packer Fan." I was afraid you collected the skulls of Packerfans in some deep dark corner of the ether.
    *grin*

Yes, a great rivalry is to be cherished, it makes some games so much more meaningful. You know it's lots of fun beating the Bengals too, but it's especially satisfying smacking the Vikings around. It hurts to lose to the Chargers, but when it's the Vikings it's more like a kick in the nuts. Take all that away and we'd be watching something stale and soulless like golf.

Bleech!
    To win or lose it all. "

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Vikingsalltheway

So you came to see a real football teams message board cause the Packers don't have one. Arrogant fudgepacker fans get off our board... We will smoke your butts next year...

Actually I came across this site searching for sagas of that great defense of yours in the Seventies, and after reading a little figured I couldn't help but try to explain just why Packer Fans took such an unholy delight at your crushed hopes.

Maybe you had to be there, but we had far more reason to hate those Arrogant Chokers than you do to hate the Pack. :-)
    To win or lose it all. "

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

Welcome to the site... hopefully you will be one of the few worthy adversaries that we have on here. We have some packer fans that its actually fun to debate with, and we have some that live up to all of our stupid cheesehead jokes. Time will tell where you lie

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by triedandtruevikesfan

Welcome to the site... hopefully you will be one of the few worthy adversaries that we have on here. We have some packer fans that its actually fun to debate with, and we have some that live up to all of our stupid cheesehead jokes. Time will tell where you lie

Heh...thanks...I think. :-)

Yes, I see you keep Packer Fans on a short leash here. I'm sure it's bread and water rations if we step out of line a millimeter.
    *grin*
    To win or lose it all. "

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

well it is our site after all... can't be letting the cheeseheads take over with their poor judgement in taste

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Bread and water, man? I'm talking eat some dirt, pack fan. Umm, I mean if you get crazy like the other crappy-sconnie-beer yaps that stop by. However, I see you have an eloquent way to make your point and I respect that.

Fact remains: the Packers are on the slide and when lil' #4 rolls out back to his bayou roots you will all be crying for the next 20 years. Majik anyone? Any saviors in GB? I think the great deity has passed (for many INTs!). But who I am to say anything? Gimme a beer: [ch] and we can hang.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Frozen Tundran

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by triedandtruevikesfan

Heh...thanks...I think. :-)

Yes, I see you keep Packer Fans on a short leash here. I'm sure it's bread and water rations if we step out of line a millimeter.
    *grin*

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast