Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tad7 is offline Team Alumni

Re: Why the Vikings are in Danger of Overworking Adrian Peterson

"Caine" wrote:
    "Tad7" wrote:
    "TimmyT" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    [quote author=PurpleTide link=topic=52325.msg966081#msg966081 date=1246797366]
    [quote author=singersp link=topic=52325.msg966080#msg966080 date=1246796217]
    With an uncapped season approaching in 2010, what are the odds that Chester Taylor will remain a Viking?
    I hope the addition of Farve, and the wildcat plays will hold Adrian's rushing attempts down to under 350. Get Chester more carries, so we don't burn AD out. That said, it's in AD's nature to want to tote the rock, we just have to find a happy median, to keep him fresh and healthy for years to come. I want Adrian to be the best of all time, so we have to split carries between him and CT. About 325/150, AP/CT, would do the trick keeping both guys in the game and getting AD the rushes he needs to help us win. Hopefully we get a collective bargaining agreement, and resign CT to finish his carrer a Viking.
    The minute we lose a game when AD gets less carries because of plays for Harvin & CT, fans will be complaining he didn't get enough carries.
    You mean like the playoff game last year?
    no, that's not what he means.

we lost that game because jackson threw a pick 6 at the most critical point of the game.
    So mid-2nd quarter is the most critical point of the game and T-Jack lost the game there. But I'm gonna take a wild shot in the dark that you're one of the people that don't blame Shiancoe's late 1st quarter drop against the Colts for losing that game.
    [/quote]

Holy Cats!!!
    Are you STILL trying to beat that drum?

Go read the last few posts of the Jackson thread (starting here:
    http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=47857.msg965756#msg965756 ) where the silly notion that Shiancoe's dropped pass caused us to lose is completely and thoroughly destroyed.

Caine

[/quote]
    I've read them when posted and nothing was even close to destroyed first off. Not remotely close.

Secondly my only point with that post was that if a first half drop by Shiancoe that costs us points doesn't lose us a game in someone's opinion, then a first half pick-6 (to the NFL career leader in playoff pick-6's nonetheless) doesn't cost us a game either.
    Skol Vikings! Go Cubs!

X MARKS THE SPOT

Yfz01 is offline Asst. Coach

"Caine" wrote:
    "Tad7" wrote:
    "TimmyT" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    With an uncapped season approaching in 2010, what are the odds that Chester Taylor will remain a Viking?
    I hope the addition of Farve, and the wildcat plays will hold Adrian's rushing attempts down to under 350. Get Chester more carries, so we don't burn AD out. That said, it's in AD's nature to want to tote the rock, we just have to find a happy median, to keep him fresh and healthy for years to come. I want Adrian to be the best of all time, so we have to split carries between him and CT. About 325/150, AP/CT, would do the trick keeping both guys in the game and getting AD the rushes he needs to help us win. Hopefully we get a collective bargaining agreement, and resign CT to finish his carrer a Viking.
    The minute we lose a game when AD gets less carries because of plays for Harvin & CT, fans will be complaining he didn't get enough carries.

we lost that game because jackson threw a pick 6 at the most critical point of the game.
    So mid-2nd quarter is the most critical point of the game and T-Jack lost the game there. But I'm gonna take a wild shot in the dark that you're one of the people that don't blame Shiancoe's late 1st quarter drop against the Colts for losing that game.
    [/quote]

Holy Cats!!!

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=47857.msg965756#msg965756 ) where the silly notion that Shiancoe's dropped pass caused us to lose is completely and thoroughly destroyed.

Caine

[/quote]

It never was completely destroyed...............

Your a good poster and put a lot of thought in each post but this is a very competitive league.
    The Packers lost like 7 games by less then 7 points (I believe).
    That (IMO) proves that one play can change the outcome of a game.

The Ovechkin crowd used that amazing stop in game 7 of the playoffs as the reason their team got slaughtered, even though it was early in the first... Ever heard of momentum?
    Do you believe that we lose the game if Shank catches it?

I'll try getting back on topic.
    I hope that Taylor gets more carries this year because he is more versatile and our offense does well when he's in the game.
    I don't think he is as good as Peterson but I don't think Peterson is as good when he is overworked.
    After the Bears game in which Peterson dominated last year, you could tell he was hurting and wasn't as effective.
    I also miss the days of him coming in fresh during the second half to take control.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Yfz01" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    "Tad7" wrote:
    "TimmyT" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    [quote author=singersp link=topic=52325.msg966086#msg966086 date=1246802221]

[/quote]

Holy Cats!!!

Caine

[/quote]

Your a good poster and put a lot of thought in each post but this is a very competitive league.

The Ovechkin crowd used that amazing stop in game 7 of the playoffs as the reason their team got slaughtered, even though it was early in the first... Ever heard of momentum?
    [/quote]

if one play makes a game, then what if TJ made a better read on a third down and converted instead of punting?
    What if AD broke a tackle and made a big gain?
    What if our D stopped them one more time on third down?
    What if Kliensasser got off his block and sealed the LB out on a run play?
    If you're going to pin losing that game on one play, take into account the hundreds of other opportunities we had to change the game.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"Tad7" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    "Tad7" wrote:
    "TimmyT" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:

[/quote]

Holy Cats!!!

Caine

[/quote]
    I've read them when posted and nothing was even close to destroyed first off. Not remotely close.

Secondly my only point with that post was that if a first half drop by Shiancoe that costs us points doesn't lose us a game in someone's opinion, then a first half pick-6 (to the NFL career leader in playoff pick-6's nonetheless) doesn't cost us a game either.
    [/quote]

There is a huge diference in the two. 1 cost us points the other gave the other team points.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"Yfz01" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    "Tad7" wrote:
    "TimmyT" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:

[/quote]

Holy Cats!!!

Caine

[/quote]

I'll try getting back on topic.
    I hope that Taylor gets more carries this year because he is more versatile and our offense does well when he's in the game.
    I don't think he is as good as Peterson but I don't think Peterson is as good when he is overworked.
    After the Bears game in which Peterson dominated last year, you could tell he was hurting and wasn't as effective.
    I also miss the days of him coming in fresh during the second half to take control.

[/quote]

I'm sorry, you have some kind of compelling evidence that overturns the idea that Jackson's REPEATED inability to convert on 3rd down was somehow LESS to blame than a SINGLE dropped pass in the 1st quarter?
    If so, I have yet to see it.

While 1 play CAN change a hotly contested game - that typically is something that happens LATE in a game in an evenly matched contest.
    It usually is NOT something that occurs in the first 3 quarters simply because there is STILL the 4th quarter, and comebacks are what great stories are made of.

That said, the Indy Minnesota game was NOT such a case.
    Jackson - as posted previously - had repeated opportunites to convert on 3rd down and was never able to (the 2 conversions were for a penalty and a run by CT I believe).
    That shows a consistancy of failure.
    Unlike the SINGLE dropped pass which by definition is a singular event.
    Therefore, Jackson owns the lions share of the blame for that game offensively.

As for momentum...how many times have you seen late game momentum shifts?
    We saw one versus Indy.
    Manning was off balance for most of the game, then got his head right in the 4th.
    Our Defense gave our Offense opportunity after opportunity, but JACKSON was unable to make plays when needed.

AS FOR THE ORIGINAL TOPIC:
    I think Chiller mananges the carries poorly.
    The game versus Green Bay when Peterson racked up 100+ yards in the first half then SAT for the 2nd was a prime example.
    I like CT, but I think he should be used to spell AP or be used WITH AP, not to replace AP or keep his carries down.

Caine

gamecocksbaseball31 is offline Hall of Famer

"jessejames09" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "PurpleTide" wrote:
    No, I mean again this year. The past two years there were complaints of AD not getting the rock enough.

Especially with Favre throwing the ball.

They can't blame TJ & they more than likely certainly won't blame Brett "God" Favre.
    Whose 'they'? The Viking fans that disagree with you? The group that think TJ was conspiring to keep the ball away from AD?

It seems like too often on these forums people create (in their head) a massive group of organized haters so they can frown upon everyone else, but those who agree with them.

I think for the most part everyone realizes why CT is in on 3rd downs, some contest that we need AD in the game when we're behind, and that may be a fair statement. Neither opinion is so bad we need to be forewarned months in advance. I look forward to actually having this discussion in say September or October, when your hypothetical comes true.

Besides, when we lose, nearly everything we did in that game will be discussed in a 20+ page thread.

[/quote]
    Why not just put them both in the back field and make it easy...

Oh yeah, I forgot...

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Caine" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "PurpleTide" wrote:
    No, I mean again this year. The past two years there were complaints of AD not getting the rock enough.

They can't blame TJ & they more than likely certainly won't blame Brett "God" Favre.
    Are you serious?!?!?!?
    You think Favre is going to come in here and have carte blanche freedom to screw up without getting hammered?
    I thought you were more in touch than that.

If Favre comes here, the level of expectation SKYROCKETS.
    If Favre falters even a little bit, the fans will turn on him IMMEDIATELY.

This isn't Green Bay.
    He's not rescuing us from several decades of horrible teams and being the laughingstock of the NFL.
    He won't have any room for error...in fact, he'll have much less than Jackson has had - season after season.

If anyone would get a pass from the fans it's Jackson.
    His play has been so lackluster that more of the same will now be expected.
    Anything beyond mediocrity that he delivers will be hailed as a miracle, and the cheers will resound throughout the Dome.

But Favre?
    He'll have to deliver perfection or face the wrath of every Jackson supporter (All 6 of you) and the host of unrealistic fans who think he guarantees us a Superbowl.

Caine
    [/quote]

I'll believe that when I see it.

All I'm saying is that I believe Favre will probably be throwing the ball more than we have in the past few years with Berrian & Harvin here & if we happen to lose one of those games with AD getting less than 20 carries, fans will complain he isn't getting enough touches.

If Favre faulters even a little bit, I don't think most of the fans will turn on him immediately as you state. I think we'll be hearing a flurry of excuses coming out of Favre Camp, with "At least he's still better than T-Joke" being one of the 1st ones.

I think there are at least two different types of Favre fans here. Those who think the
    God-likeFavre will be passing us a path to a SB victory & can do no wrong & those who want him here because his presence alone, regardless of his performance, means that AD will have much more success.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

Are you serious?!?!?!?
    You think Favre is going to come in here and have carte blanche freedom to screw up without getting hammered?

This isn't Green Bay.
    He's not rescuing us from several decades of horrible teams and being the laughingstock of the NFL.
    He won't have any room for error...in fact, he'll have much less than Jackson has had - season after season.

Anything beyond mediocrity that he delivers will be hailed as a miracle, and the cheers will resound throughout the Dome.

But Favre?
    He'll have to deliver perfection or face the wrath of every Jackson supporter (All 6 of you) and the host of unrealistic fans who think he guarantees us a Superbowl.

Caine
    [/quote]

I'll believe that when I see it.

All I'm saying is that I believe Favre will probably be throwing the ball more than we have in the past few years with Berrian & Harvin here & if we happen to lose one of those games with AD getting less than 20 carries, fans will complain he isn't getting enough touches.

If Favre faulters even a little bit, I don't think most of the fans will turn on him immediately as you state. I think we'll be hearing a flurry of excuses coming out of Favre Camp, with "At least he's still better than T-Joke" being one of the 1st ones.

I think there are at least two different types of Favre fans here. Those who think the
    God-likeFavre will be passing us a path to a SB victory & can do no wrong & those who want him here because his presence alone, regardless of his performance, means that AD will have much more success.
    [/quote]

1: I'm not sure you will believe it.
    I think you lost your objectivity on this awhile back.

2:
    Will Favre throw more than Jackson?
    Maybe.
    But that alone shouldn't limit AP's carries.

3:
    Even if they say, "He's still better than T-Joke"...they'll still be right.
    See, anytime an excuse is TRUE, it's called a "reason".
    Hence the "reason" Favre will be starting is that IS better than "T-Joke".

4:
    I think you've misread the fans...or are focused on a couple and are forgetting the vast majority.
    I don't think there are ANY that I have seen who believe that "the God-likeFavre will be passing us a path to a SB victory & can do no wrong".
    Those silly people were Packtards, and they are now desperately trying to convince themselves that Ted Thompson did the right thing (And failing miserably unless they are exceptional at lying to themselves).

I think most people who want Favre here want a QB who will force Defenses back, true.
    But not just for AP.
    They want a QB who can punish teams that DON'T step back, just like AP will punish teams that DO.
    Jackson and Frerotte couldn't get that done.
    So it isn't just AP that benefits, the entire Offense benefits.

Caine

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"singersp" wrote:
    I
    think there at least 3 types of fans.....You forgot the ones (all 6 of us) who don't want him here cause of who is was and what he isn't anymore, but will still try to be.......(A PUKER, A QB who can win it on his own).
    ;D

Are you serious?!?!?!?

This isn't Green Bay.

But Favre?

Caine
    Great post my friend.......

Back on topic now.......
    A couple of years ago, when CT was toting the rock a bit more than some yutz's wanted him to, we hacked on the coach for employing a 2 back set.

As some have stated, continued use of a 2 back rotation, as with almost all positions on the team, will extend a career as well as keep our guys fresh for late season runs.

Would it be great if CT was that guy for a couple of more years?
    Hell yes, but with the Whinny indications, it appears we might not be willing to resign any older Vets regardless of if they can still play or not. :

I just hope they have the right young cat sitting on the bench who can come in and spell AD (the Vet).
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Next Edgerrin James?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast