Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    OchoCinco is offline Coordinator

Re: Why Tahi on our roster? 9 offensive lineman? Tank Williams over Greg Blue?

Roster spots decided on the practice field

One thing to keep in mind when being surprised by roster cuts is the fact that what WE see in preseason games is merely a fraction of what the coaches and personnel people see.
    Every drill and scrimmage and practice are taped and reviewed each day by the coaches and personnel people.
    They get so much repetition of looking at these guys that they know exactly what they can and cannot do.

How they perform in preseason games is always just a snippet of what they’ve already shown the coaching staff.
    And our view is always somewhat skewed because of that, where a big play in the stat sheet looks impressive.
    But it’s what these guys have been showing day after day from OTAs, minicamps and two-a-days in training camp that make or break their chances to make it.

NUFF SAID

douginc is offline Starter

When I watched the pre-season this year, Tahi was the number one guy who was 'on the bubble' who I thought we should keep.
    The few plays he was in, he looked terrific.
    He was extremely quick for a big guy, and showed soft hands when the ball was thrown his way.
    I honestly think he will surprise a lot of people this year.

Now, Whitaker?
    I would rather have Forest Whitaker as our last CB on the roster.
    True story.
    At least he could act like he knew what he was doing on the field.

douginc is offline Starter

"OchoCinco" wrote:

One thing to keep in mind when being surprised by roster cuts is the fact that what WE see in preseason games is merely a fraction of what the coaches and personnel people see.
    Every drill and scrimmage and practice are taped and reviewed each day by the coaches and personnel people.
    They get so much repetition of looking at these guys that they know exactly what they can and cannot do.

How they perform in preseason games is always just a snippet of what they’ve already shown the coaching staff.
    And our view is always somewhat skewed because of that, where a big play in the stat sheet looks impressive.
    But it’s what these guys have been showing day after day from OTAs, minicamps and two-a-days in training camp that make or break their chances to make it.

NUFF SAID

I've always understood that, and I honestly trust (for the most part) Childress' player evaluation skills (he was dead on with Chester and Bobby Wade).
    It's just that sometimes coaches can get overwhelmed with what they see on the practice field, and be almost oblivious to the fact that the player cannot get it done on the field when it actually becomes gametime.

I remember Tice had that problem a bit with Aaron Elling.
    We remember how awesome he was.......
    During practices, I guess he would just make amazing strings of consecutive field goals from varying lengths.
    But, seems he never ever brought that to the games.
    I'm not even saying that's happening here.
    But, I am still of the opinion that players should be graded ONLY on what matters - game time.

It'd be like a teacher grading you on your scratch sheet of math problems, rather than the test.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"OchoCinco" wrote:

NUFF SAID

Ocho,

I agree with your post 100 %,
    we only get to see, hear , and read about only a small fraction of what is really going on behind the scenes. This is where our trust and belief in the Coaches has to kick in and realize they know so much more than we do and that they are the professionals, not us.
    I trust that their decision making on who stays and who goes is all done with the best intrest of the teams future perfformance, being the bottom line.

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"NordicNed" wrote:
    "OchoCinco" wrote:

NUFF SAID

Ocho,

we only get to see, hear , and read about only a small fraction of what is really going on behind the scenes. This is where our trust and belief in the Coaches has to kick in and realize they know so much more than we do and that they are the professionals, not us.

I trust that their decision making on who stays and who goes is all done with the best intrest of the teams future perfformance, being the bottom line.

[size=11pt]NFL rules for deciding the 53 man roster[/size]

1. The coaches, not the fans, make the final decisions.

2. Never forget rule #1

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

"singersp" wrote:
    "NordicNed" wrote:
    "OchoCinco" wrote:

NUFF SAID

Ocho,

[size=11pt]NFL rules for deciding the 53 man roster[/size]

1. The coaches, not the fans, make the final decisions.

2. Never forget rule #1
    Thanks for LOGIC gentlemen!!!!!!!

I subscribe to another rule...not sure what number it is.

Brats and Beer Rule
    ;D ;D ;D

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Tahi looked pretty good, but I'm really kind of afraid that we'll wish we had Blue back!
    Two backups who are currently injured and missed most of last season???
    I was hoping Nance would make it too.
    I'm not sure why we kept all those young OLinemen, I guess they're seeing something there.
    Whether its something they like or not is another question.

I'm not sure how much signing an olineman at this point is going to help.
    We'd be starting the learning curve all over.
    Or is there someone out there smart enough to be an immediate improvement?

lol
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Well in my opinion this is what should happen.
    Cut Jeff Dugan or Jim Kleinsasser and keep Dovonte Edwards.
    Cut Jayme Mitchell and keep Greg Blue.

norseforce is offline Rookie

"marstc09" wrote:
    what kind of statement is that, cut j.KLEINSASSER. the guy is a big part of why we can run so well on the edges,
    greg blue is as good as he ever will be he's a decent safty who can hit @ time's. I think our roster looks great very balanced youth/vets.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"norseforce" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    what kind of statement is that, cut j.KLEINSASSER. the guy is a big part of why we can run so well on the edges,
    greg blue is as good as he ever will be he's a decent safty who can hit @ time's. I think our roster looks great very balanced youth/vets.
    Your right so cut Dugan!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast