Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Why is the Steelers Defense playing so much better than ours?

Different players, different system, different coaching...

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

Two reasons:

a. Our corners are not jamming the receivers on the line of scrimmage.

b. No pass rush from the edge, or from the front 4.

The result of this is receivers roaming free, and QBs with enough time to throw. The Cover 2 is kind of simple, and requires the corners to get physical. For some reason, we are not doing that.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"StillPurple" wrote:
    Two reasons:

a. Our corners are not jamming the receivers on the line of scrimmage.

b. No pass rush from the edge, or from the front 4.

The result of this is receivers roaming free, and QBs with enough time to throw. The Cover 2 is kind of simple, and requires the corners to get physical. For some reason, we are not doing that.
    That's because we run a Tampa 2; it's almost purely zone all the way.

The biggest reason is pressure.
    If a QB has 3-5 seconds to survey he will get the ball in a weak spot in our zone.

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

Couple of reasons.....

Lack of consistent pass rush
    Not being physical at the line with the receivers
    Lack of discipline and not sticking with the righ coverage

greatness79 is offline Waterboy

I live in Pittsburgh.
    People here (including players) seem to care so much more about football than you all (including players) do.

renovikesfan is offline Coordinator

The Steelers have allowed an average of 18.2 points/game so far, while the Vikings have allowed an average of 19.5.
    Not that big of a differential.

I think what matters MOST is the points, and not yards, so I couldn't care less if our Defense allows 1,000 yards rushing and 1,000 yards passing in one game.

As long as we score more points than the other team...even if it's a final score of 2-0 with the only points for us coming off of a safety...a win is a win.

Our Defense is acceptable...it's our Offense that blows syphilitic donkey balls.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"renovikesfan" wrote:

The Steelers have allowed an average of 18.2 points/game so far, while the Vikings have allowed an average of 19.5.

I think what matters MOST is the points, and not yards, so I couldn't care less if our Defense allows 1,000 yards rushing and 1,000 yards passing in one game.

As long as we score more points than the other team...even if it's a final score of 2-0 with the only points for us coming off of a safety...a win is a win.

Our Defense is acceptable...it's our Offense that blows syphilitic donkey balls.

I care. If you're allowing that many yards per game, it probably means the opponents offense also has the ball for the majority of the game.

If our opponents' offense is on the field for a majority of the game, it also means our offense isn't on the field for as much.

Less time of possession = less opportunity, which can easily equate to less points. Especially with our offense.

How many 3 & outs have our opponents had this year? How many punts compared to us?

IMO if we let our opponents eat up most of a quarter on a drive & we hold them to a FG, that's good ball control in our opponents favor.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

"singersp" wrote:
    "renovikesfan" wrote:

I care. If you're allowing that many yards per game, it probably means the opponents offense also has the ball for the majority of the game.

If our opponents' offense is on the field for a majority of the game, it also means our offense isn't on the field for as much.

Less time of possession = less opportunity, which can easily equate to less points. Especially with our offense.

How many 3 & outs have our opponents had this year? How many punts compared to us?

IMO if we let our opponents eat up most of a quarter on a drive & we hold them to a FG, that's good ball control in our opponents favor.
    All valid points...but nonetheless rendered moot if the other team winds up with less points at 00:00.

As I said...our Defense has been acceptable.
    IMO, good enough to win ALL our games so far.
    Our pathetic excuse for Offense, however, has failed to capitalize on nearly all of the opportunities the Defense (ours AND theirs) gives them and seal the deal.
    Ironically enough, the one game where our Defense fell on it's collective face was in the final minutes against the Bears.
    Laughable...the one game where it actually looked like we DID have an Offense, it's almost given away by the squad who's kept us in every other game this season.

Actually, I wouldn't be at all suprised to see another game or two like that later this year...maybe even against the Chargers.

Answer this, please...if our Defense is so horrible compared to the "mighty" Steelers (or any other team) in regards to yards allowed, forced punts, 3 and outs, T.O.P., then why aren't we getting blown out every game?

It sure ain't our Offense keeping all the games within reach...

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"renovikesfan" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "renovikesfan" wrote:

All valid points...but nonetheless rendered moot if the other team winds up with less points at 00:00.
    That's true in any ball game, but for 5 out of the 7 games we've played this year our opponents have had more points at 00:00.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

No thanks to our Offense (or lack thereof).
    LOL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12