Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 238
  1. #21
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,909

    Re: Why Shouldn't We Draft a QB In The 1st Round?

    Quote Originally Posted by "ILLvike" #1081120
    Quote Originally Posted by "kevoncox" #1081119
    "If the QB we draft is not going to start right away, then we don't need the top one or two of those available."

    Your logic is flawed. You want the best QB available for you. You shoudln't care how much time you have to groom them. Draft the one that you believe will be the best QB long term.

    Like Alex Smith over Aaron Rodgers?
    You fail! Both were elite QB prospects. I believe there were rated 1 and 2 and the difference between them were negliable. Smith got the nod because he had better mobility. I would like to point out Smith has played under 7 OCs in 6 years. What QB can survive that?
    I'm talking about draft a talent in the 3rd rounds and saying he's good enough. Drafting a 6th rounder and thinking he can sit on the bench for 5 years.

  2. #22
    Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    885

    Re: Why Shouldn't We Draft a QB In The 1st Round?

    Quote Originally Posted by "kevoncox" #1081119
    "If the QB we draft is not going to start right away, then we don't need the top one or two of those available."

    Your logic is flawed. You want the best QB available for you. You shoudln't care how much time you have to groom them. Draft the one that you believe will be the best QB long term.
    To really understand what I was getting at, you need to include this in context. It is there to reinforce my position that we do not want or need to move up in the draft to get a guy who won't be playing.

    If a guy we do really like happens to be there for us to take, then again, by all means, take him.

    My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

  3. #23
    marstc09's Avatar
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    23,179

    Re: Why Shouldn't We Draft a QB In The 1st Round?

    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1081043
    Quote Originally Posted by "Infidel" #1081036
    BPA is an ok strategy to a certain point.

    That point being when he fills a spot that we don't need filled.

    That's inefficient use of our pick.

    There might be exceptions if the player is, for example, a huge talent that we know wants to stay in this area.

    Otherwise, no.

    We have plenty of spots to fill, so I don't see this as a big problem anyway.

    As for the QB.....it could go either way. I don't think even the coaches crystal ball is clear enough to see an answer.

    We've invested time, money and training in Webb.....and we hope for a payoff.

    We will go with best guess as to the competency of TJ and the potential of Webb.

    We need either a new superstar from the draft or to trade for a talented veteran to vie with TJ for the starting job while Webb learns his trade.

    Either could work or be a disaster.

    All bets are off if Favre finishes this year with play at a high level.

    Heck, just look back at last week. When AD went down, I bet everyone was thinking.....Pass pass pass. Instead the current staff plodded along with the backup running back and ran ran ran.
    Good thing you are not a betting man. You would be on the streets.

  4. #24
    ndnorseman is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    321

    Re: Why Shouldn't We Draft a QB In The 1st Round?

    I'm with the group that thinks we should get a QB with the first pick. He shouldn't, however, be thrown to the wolves right out of the starting gate (lol @ the combined idioms). It wouldn't be that difficult, IMO, to get a capable veteran QB out of FA at a low price to help mentor the kid in his first year (and Webb in his 2nd).

    Bear with me on this, just thinking out loud.....

    What would the pros and cons be, if each of the 3 QBs got a rep % of:

    50% for 1st rd pick
    30% for veteran FA
    20% for Webb

    For the first 3 games, let the rookie start for a quarter, and have the vet take over the other 3 quarters

    For the next 3 games let the rookie start the first half, let the vet finish it.

    The next 3 games, the rookie starts 3 quarters, and vet has the rest.

    The last 3 games, the rookie starts the whole game.

    If, during any of the games, the vet gets hurt during his playing time, let Webb get some snaps. That way, for the following year, the rookie should have enough experience and mentoring to start for the year, and Webb, depending on how he's progressed, could be a serviceable back-up.


    Just some random thoughts...be gentle. LOL

  5. #25
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909

    Re: Why Shouldn't We Draft a QB In The 1st Round?

    Quote Originally Posted by "Traveling_Vike" #1081114
    This was quite well articulated. I will see if I can do it justice.
    Psssshawwww, bite your tongue.......You always do a post justice my friend.



    Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1081090
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1081043
    Quote Originally Posted by "Infidel" #1081036
    BPA is an ok strategy to a certain point.

    That point being when he fills a spot that we don't need filled.

    That's inefficient use of our pick.

    There might be exceptions if the player is, for example, a huge talent that we know wants to stay in this area.

    Otherwise, no.

    We have plenty of spots to fill, so I don't see this as a big problem anyway.

    As for the QB.....it could go either way. I don't think even the coaches crystal ball is clear enough to see an answer.

    We've invested time, money and training in Webb.....and we hope for a payoff.

    We will go with best guess as to the competency of TJ and the potential of Webb.

    We need either a new superstar from the draft or to trade for a talented veteran to vie with TJ for the starting job while Webb learns his trade.

    Either could work or be a disaster.

    All bets are off if Favre finishes this year with play at a high level.
    We don't have squat invested in Webb. Just like we have the bare minimum invested in TJ.

    If both wind up as busts, who cares.

    The bigger issue here is that if TJ isn't gonna work out, we are basically starting from scratch next year. Like it or not, the Noodle will not be an option, regardless of how well he plays going out the door.

    Heck, just look back at last week. When AD went down, I bet everyone was thinking.....Pass pass pass. Instead the current staff plodded along with the backup running back and ran ran ran.

    To me, thats a clear indicator of what type of offense Leslie will run if he is the HC for the long term.
    A few points to consider:

    1: I doubt Frazier will be our next HC...and if he is, I worry about the future of the franchise because that indicates to me that Wilf hasn't learned anything. Frazier is the "trendy" pick (according to the media), but I have already stated my reasons for wanting an established coach... and it begins with getting the Wilf family OUT of the football decision making process and into the owners box where they can smile for the cameras.
    The decision on who will be the next Head Coach had better be made well before the draft comes around. Whoever it ends up being, HIS philosophy will dictate where we go in the draft.

    I'm not usually one for "trendy" guys. I want someone who will come in and bring guys along with him whom he trusts to do their jobs. But that discussion is going on in another thread, so I will leave it for now. All I will add is that I'd like to see a true GM put in place.
    I am of a mind that Caine is correct in that the owner probably has already made up his mind on who the HC is gonna be. What still might drive the train is will he deviate from the Triad Thingamigib and bring in a real GM to run the show or will he let the HC retain the power to jettison players whenever he likes/sees fit.


    2: QB has been our biggest area of need for about 6 years. Chiller virtually ignored it until begging Favre to unretire, and had he not been fired this year his ineptitude in that department which has resulted in Webb being the ONLY QB under contract next season would have gotten him canned. Say what you will about Jackson, but his "progression" wasn't all that impressive, and there was ZERO reason to believe he'd suddenly figured it all out...and his contract is up after this season.
    The staff (not just the Chiller) has not ignored the QB position. Look around the league my friend. The Vikings have been one of the most active in player moves in that area.

    The problem is, there hasn't been anything worth going after that was available, until recently.

    You yourself said the best option to date was Carr. Carr for cripes sake. He is currently a backup to a kid that was on the streets a few weeks ago.

    Childress did not entirely ignore the QB position. He tried to bring in a guy he liked, and failed to manage/develop him properly. Whether that is all on him is debatable, but TJ was his guy from the start. As to whether he has "suddenly figured it all out," well, that's how most guys describe it when it finally does happen for them. There are plentiful examples of guys who appeared to turn it on suddenly.
    The staff, not just the Chiller, brought in several guys they liked. I for one still believe Sage was a Spielmen option. TJ was a last minute pick cause they goofed and missed on Cutler and Clemens (who didn't work out).

    I also still contend that you characterization of "begging" is way overblown. As you are so fond of saying about evidence, there is ZERO to support that view. All published accounts indicate that the guys went down there simply to get an answer, and not to beg. There is also nothing proving that they were "sent," rather than going on their own volition. Believe what you like, but there is nothing out there other than opinion that supports the "begging" theory.
    After last year I don't think the Chiller wanted him back this year.

    I think the Chillers trip was to find out (for the owner) if the Noodle was coming back. If he said no, the Staff was willing to go with TJ, Sage and Webb (in that order by the way).

    I think the players trip was again, an attempt by the owner to find out if his ticket sales were gonna be up or down. The Noodle would equate to up, TJ would have equated to down.

    Sad day indeed that decisions are being made on ticket sales. Pains me to see teams like the PUKERs and the Deadskins not have to worry about that kindof crap.

    All of that said, I am not so sure that TJ is the answer any more, either, simply because we would need to commit to him now and completely, or we will not be able to keep him anyway. There are several other teams out there who would likely give him a shot. And if there is to be a coaching change, the new guy might not want him anyway, even if Frazier gives him the nod now.
    I believe we should have already committed to him. My guess, he will leave as soon as he can.

    3: Favre is done...period. He won;'t be back next season, nor do I believe that the new HC - whomever that may be - will be interested in rebuilding the team with Favre on the roster. Brett's last best shot at a Superbowl was last season, and they blew it. He will retire for real after this season, and that will be that.
    I completely agree with this. He is done.
    I'll believe it when I see it. Again, I think the owner opted to go with the Noodle this year just to ensure he had ticket sales. I also believe he let the Chiller go because of ticket sales. Every decision being made up there now centers around ticket sales instead of winning.

    IMHO, that will equate to more losses and less ticket sales anyway.

    4: Marrdro says:
    We don't have squat invested in Webb. Just like we have the bare minimum invested in TJ.

    If both wind up as busts, who cares.
    I care. Because those are the only two QB's on our roster other than Favre. So if they're "Busts", that indicates to me that the people who were supposed to make us competitive failed to do so.
    I also care, because I hate waste. Webb, being a low round pick, is not as much of an issue as TJ, who cost us two picks (iirc), one being a second-rounder. That's a significant investment. I still believe he will make it, but not so much with us any more.
    Just because TJ leaves doesn't mean he is a bust. It means our FO pukes failed in retaining talent they should'nt have let walk.

    If you follow the logical process that goes into developing a raw QB into a NFL ready QB, TJ should have got his first look this year.

    I for one still think TJ was ready last year and the only reason he wasn't allowed to finally have a shot was again, driven by ticket sales.

    We got lucky last year. The Noodle stayed in the system for the most part and we had a great season. Unfortunately, there was a rift between the QB and the HC with the player having more say than the HC (because of ticket sales) which eventually spelled doom for us this year.

    The decision by the Wilfs to have a double standard, especially one were the HC and the QB were vying for control of the team was the dumbest football move I have ever seen and IMHO will have ripple effects for us the fans for a long time.

    By the way, we are still worrying about ticket sales this weekend Mr. Wilf.:P


    5: Drafting BPA is great...when you don't have a GLARING need. We do. We NEED a QB. We can no longer afford to hope that maybe someone will drop into our laps, or that maybe our cheap options will develop just enough to get us through. We need a legit guy at the position.

    To me, that says first round guy.

    It says that to a lot of others, as well. My problem with it is not in the pick itself. I can and will accept that if that is where we go. It's with the seeming perceptions that said first-round QB will:

    a) solve all of our problems, and

    b) start and be effective immediately.
    Was Cassel a first round guy? Was Lienart a first round guy? Was Vy a first round guy? Was Brady a first round guy?

    Comeon, what it says to me is that the scouting staff needs to make sure they do thier due dillegence and get the guy that fits the scheme.


    And forget about a guy who "fits the scheme"...we don't have a scheme anymore. The "KAO" is going to be gone after this season.
    It's not "fits the scheme" that we have now... it's "fits the scheme" that we WILL have when he comes in. That will depend on who the new HC and OC turn out to be. As I said above, that problem had better damned well be solved first.
    So who are the scouts looking at if we don't know what scheme we are trying to find players for.

    To sit here and say the scheme doesn't matter is simply crazy talk. Prime example is Sharper. Bad player for us who wasn't playing or a good player in a scheme that he wasn't suited for.

    The better fit the scheme for cripes sake or you don't draft them.

    But, at the end of the day, I can think of very few reasons NOT to go after the best QB available this draft.

    Caine
    Yea, lets go get a kid who can throw it deep (ala Leftwich) who has a slow delivery and then try to fit him into a WCO scheme were the kid needs a quick release.

    LOL. The madness of it all......

    .......snipped the rest.......Gotta go to a meeting.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  6. #26
    Caine's Avatar
    Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,139

    Re: Why Shouldn't We Draft a QB In The 1st Round?

    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1081147
    Quote Originally Posted by "Traveling_Vike" #1081114
    This was quite well articulated. I will see if I can do it justice.
    Psssshawwww, bite your tongue.......You always do a post justice my friend.



    Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1081090
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1081043
    Quote Originally Posted by "Infidel" #1081036
    BPA is an ok strategy to a certain point.

    That point being when he fills a spot that we don't need filled.

    That's inefficient use of our pick.

    There might be exceptions if the player is, for example, a huge talent that we know wants to stay in this area.

    Otherwise, no.

    We have plenty of spots to fill, so I don't see this as a big problem anyway.

    As for the QB.....it could go either way. I don't think even the coaches crystal ball is clear enough to see an answer.

    We've invested time, money and training in Webb.....and we hope for a payoff.

    We will go with best guess as to the competency of TJ and the potential of Webb.

    We need either a new superstar from the draft or to trade for a talented veteran to vie with TJ for the starting job while Webb learns his trade.

    Either could work or be a disaster.

    All bets are off if Favre finishes this year with play at a high level.
    We don't have squat invested in Webb. Just like we have the bare minimum invested in TJ.

    If both wind up as busts, who cares.

    The bigger issue here is that if TJ isn't gonna work out, we are basically starting from scratch next year. Like it or not, the Noodle will not be an option, regardless of how well he plays going out the door.

    Heck, just look back at last week. When AD went down, I bet everyone was thinking.....Pass pass pass. Instead the current staff plodded along with the backup running back and ran ran ran.

    To me, thats a clear indicator of what type of offense Leslie will run if he is the HC for the long term.
    A few points to consider:

    1: I doubt Frazier will be our next HC...and if he is, I worry about the future of the franchise because that indicates to me that Wilf hasn't learned anything. Frazier is the "trendy" pick (according to the media), but I have already stated my reasons for wanting an established coach... and it begins with getting the Wilf family OUT of the football decision making process and into the owners box where they can smile for the cameras.
    The decision on who will be the next Head Coach had better be made well before the draft comes around. Whoever it ends up being, HIS philosophy will dictate where we go in the draft.

    I'm not usually one for "trendy" guys. I want someone who will come in and bring guys along with him whom he trusts to do their jobs. But that discussion is going on in another thread, so I will leave it for now. All I will add is that I'd like to see a true GM put in place.
    I am of a mind that Caine is correct in that the owner probably has already made up his mind on who the HC is gonna be. What still might drive the train is will he deviate from the Triad Thingamigib and bring in a real GM to run the show or will he let the HC retain the power to jettison players whenever he likes/sees fit.


    2: QB has been our biggest area of need for about 6 years. Chiller virtually ignored it until begging Favre to unretire, and had he not been fired this year his ineptitude in that department which has resulted in Webb being the ONLY QB under contract next season would have gotten him canned. Say what you will about Jackson, but his "progression" wasn't all that impressive, and there was ZERO reason to believe he'd suddenly figured it all out...and his contract is up after this season.
    The staff (not just the Chiller) has not ignored the QB position. Look around the league my friend. The Vikings have been one of the most active in player moves in that area.

    The problem is, there hasn't been anything worth going after that was available, until recently.

    You yourself said the best option to date was Carr. Carr for cripes sake. He is currently a backup to a kid that was on the streets a few weeks ago.

    Childress did not entirely ignore the QB position. He tried to bring in a guy he liked, and failed to manage/develop him properly. Whether that is all on him is debatable, but TJ was his guy from the start. As to whether he has "suddenly figured it all out," well, that's how most guys describe it when it finally does happen for them. There are plentiful examples of guys who appeared to turn it on suddenly.
    The staff, not just the Chiller, brought in several guys they liked. I for one still believe Sage was a Spielmen option. TJ was a last minute pick cause they goofed and missed on Cutler and Clemens (who didn't work out).

    I also still contend that you characterization of "begging" is way overblown. As you are so fond of saying about evidence, there is ZERO to support that view. All published accounts indicate that the guys went down there simply to get an answer, and not to beg. There is also nothing proving that they were "sent," rather than going on their own volition. Believe what you like, but there is nothing out there other than opinion that supports the "begging" theory.
    After last year I don't think the Chiller wanted him back this year.

    I think the Chillers trip was to find out (for the owner) if the Noodle was coming back. If he said no, the Staff was willing to go with TJ, Sage and Webb (in that order by the way).

    I think the players trip was again, an attempt by the owner to find out if his ticket sales were gonna be up or down. The Noodle would equate to up, TJ would have equated to down.

    Sad day indeed that decisions are being made on ticket sales. Pains me to see teams like the PUKERs and the Deadskins not have to worry about that kindof crap.

    All of that said, I am not so sure that TJ is the answer any more, either, simply because we would need to commit to him now and completely, or we will not be able to keep him anyway. There are several other teams out there who would likely give him a shot. And if there is to be a coaching change, the new guy might not want him anyway, even if Frazier gives him the nod now.
    I believe we should have already committed to him. My guess, he will leave as soon as he can.

    3: Favre is done...period. He won;'t be back next season, nor do I believe that the new HC - whomever that may be - will be interested in rebuilding the team with Favre on the roster. Brett's last best shot at a Superbowl was last season, and they blew it. He will retire for real after this season, and that will be that.
    I completely agree with this. He is done.
    I'll believe it when I see it. Again, I think the owner opted to go with the Noodle this year just to ensure he had ticket sales. I also believe he let the Chiller go because of ticket sales. Every decision being made up there now centers around ticket sales instead of winning.

    IMHO, that will equate to more losses and less ticket sales anyway.

    4: Marrdro says:
    We don't have squat invested in Webb. Just like we have the bare minimum invested in TJ.

    If both wind up as busts, who cares.
    I care. Because those are the only two QB's on our roster other than Favre. So if they're "Busts", that indicates to me that the people who were supposed to make us competitive failed to do so.
    I also care, because I hate waste. Webb, being a low round pick, is not as much of an issue as TJ, who cost us two picks (iirc), one being a second-rounder. That's a significant investment. I still believe he will make it, but not so much with us any more.
    Just because TJ leaves doesn't mean he is a bust. It means our FO pukes failed in retaining talent they should'nt have let walk.

    If you follow the logical process that goes into developing a raw QB into a NFL ready QB, TJ should have got his first look this year.

    I for one still think TJ was ready last year and the only reason he wasn't allowed to finally have a shot was again, driven by ticket sales.

    We got lucky last year. The Noodle stayed in the system for the most part and we had a great season. Unfortunately, there was a rift between the QB and the HC with the player having more say than the HC (because of ticket sales) which eventually spelled doom for us this year.

    The decision by the Wilfs to have a double standard, especially one were the HC and the QB were vying for control of the team was the dumbest football move I have ever seen and IMHO will have ripple effects for us the fans for a long time.

    By the way, we are still worrying about ticket sales this weekend Mr. Wilf.:P


    5: Drafting BPA is great...when you don't have a GLARING need. We do. We NEED a QB. We can no longer afford to hope that maybe someone will drop into our laps, or that maybe our cheap options will develop just enough to get us through. We need a legit guy at the position.

    To me, that says first round guy.

    It says that to a lot of others, as well. My problem with it is not in the pick itself. I can and will accept that if that is where we go. It's with the seeming perceptions that said first-round QB will:

    a) solve all of our problems, and

    b) start and be effective immediately.
    Was Cassel a first round guy? Was Lienart a first round guy? Was Vy a first round guy? Was Brady a first round guy?

    Comeon, what it says to me is that the scouting staff needs to make sure they do thier due dillegence and get the guy that fits the scheme.


    And forget about a guy who "fits the scheme"...we don't have a scheme anymore. The "KAO" is going to be gone after this season.
    It's not "fits the scheme" that we have now... it's "fits the scheme" that we WILL have when he comes in. That will depend on who the new HC and OC turn out to be. As I said above, that problem had better damned well be solved first.
    So who are the scouts looking at if we don't know what scheme we are trying to find players for.

    To sit here and say the scheme doesn't matter is simply crazy talk. Prime example is Sharper. Bad player for us who wasn't playing or a good player in a scheme that he wasn't suited for.

    The better fit the scheme for cripes sake or you don't draft them.

    But, at the end of the day, I can think of very few reasons NOT to go after the best QB available this draft.

    Caine
    Yea, lets go get a kid who can throw it deep (ala Leftwich) who has a slow delivery and then try to fit him into a WCO scheme were the kid needs a quick release.

    LOL. The madness of it all......

    .......snipped the rest.......Gotta go to a meeting.
    1: Head Coach Issue: Zygi has already shown us what a "Rich Fan" will do when selecting a HC... He'll be overawed by the impressive sounding terms that the candidate spews forth, then focus on the elements he DOES know...like family, morals, etc. Meanwhile, the element he DOESN'T know (Football) gets diminished.

    Zygi needs to hire a Football guy and let HIM select the new HC. Anything else reeks of "compromise" which means the original flaw in the process (Decisions being made by a "Rich Fan") still exists.

    2: Begging Brett Favre: Of course that's overstating...much like when someone ELSE tries to undestate it by blaming the owner's alleged ticket sales goal for Favre's acquisition. Favre was brought in for ONE reason, we were a QB away from an excellent team, and everyone knew it. Jackson had not developed into the guy they thought he would (And everyone but Marrdro and small handfull knows THAT), and they were left with Rosenfels - who was a back-up quality QB. Favre was a no-brainer add last season.

    This season, despite reports that Chiller wanted Favre - and despite the fact that "the trip was authorized by Chiller", a certain individual keeps theorizing that Chiller had nothig to do with this, and that Jackson was ready to go (despite a HORRIBLE preseason showing). I find that to be laughable primarily because there is so much public evidence AGAINST that belief.

    Say what you will, Chiller didn't want Favre, he NEEDED Favre...and he knew it.

    3: QB selection: We can go back and forth all day about great QB's and draft position..but the fact is that 1st round QB's have a higher success rate than other round selections. This is not an opinion.

    That said, depending upon where we fall in the draft, it MIGHT be worthwhile to move up to get a guy we really want. Yes, it will be expensive, but the failure to do so will be expensive too.

    It's too early to decide right now...we first need to assess the QB depth in the draft, figure out what kind of QB our new HC will need, and see where we are in the depth chart.

    But to close the door absolutely right now is premature.

    4: QB Options: Yes, Chiller brought in a butt load of QB's...each one more shitty than teh next. The roster of undeachievers and ne'er beens is impressive only in it's length. At NO time did Chiller actually go after any of the VIABLE candidates. My personal favorite was Carr, that's true...but that was also 3, 4, and 5 years ago. When he was coming out of Houston and still had some fire left in his gut. I don;t know why he's not playing in San Fran...but Singletary has been an impressive HC hasn't he? Oh...wait....no. They're 4-7 like us...

    That said, there were other options Chiller didn't look at. Many of them better than Holcomb or Bollinger...or Rosenfels for that matter. Bottom line,m Chiller sat with Jackson, but didn't develop him properly OR completely overestimated his ability level and didn't drop him...either way, we are left with poor QB options while better options signed elsewhere. So, despite your shart (Shitty-chart), Chiller did FAIL in this department...spectacularly.

    Caine

  7. #27
    dfosterf's Avatar
    dfosterf is offline Coach
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    987

    Re: Why Shouldn't We Draft a QB In The 1st Round?

    How far up? To Luck? He's projected to go #1. (Notwithstanding the [goofy, imo] projection shown earlier in this forum)

    Then what?

    MAJOR gambles---

    This discussion seems to hinge on generalized philosophy versus the REAL discussion that should be taking place, and that is the risk/benefit of the individuals in front of you as QB prospects in the 2011 draft.

  8. #28
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909

    Re: Why Shouldn't We Draft a QB In The 1st Round?

    [quote="Caine" #1081207]
    That said, there were other options Chiller didn't look at. Many of them better than Holcomb or Bollinger...or Rosenfels for that matter. Bottom line,m Chiller sat with Jackson, but didn't develop him properly OR completely overestimated his ability level and didn't drop him...either way, we are left with poor QB options while better options signed elsewhere. So, despite your shart (Shitty-chart), Chiller did FAIL in this department...spectacularly.

    Caine
    I made a thread that listed EVERY option out there that WAS available. Last time you looked at that list you came up with Carr and Schaub and readily admitted you wouldn't have given what was given for Schaube.

    What/who are the "many other" QB's you alude to in this post?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  9. #29
    Caine's Avatar
    Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,139

    Re: Why Shouldn't We Draft a QB In The 1st Round?

    [quote="Marrdro" #1081215]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1081207
    That said, there were other options Chiller didn't look at. Many of them better than Holcomb or Bollinger...or Rosenfels for that matter. Bottom line,m Chiller sat with Jackson, but didn't develop him properly OR completely overestimated his ability level and didn't drop him...either way, we are left with poor QB options while better options signed elsewhere. So, despite your shart (Shitty-chart), Chiller did FAIL in this department...spectacularly.

    Caine
    I made a thread that listed EVERY option out there that WAS available. Last time you looked at that list you came up with Carr and Schaub and readily admitted you wouldn't have given what was given for Schaube.

    What/who are the "many other" QB's you alude to in this post?
    How about Garcia? Kitna? Both of those were OBVIOUS steps over who we had in '06.

    Schaub, Carr, and Garcia were all available in '07...and maybe "I" wouldn't have paid for Schaub...but I'm just a fan. Chiller - the PROFESSIONAL - should have known better...but didn't. Bledsoe was there too - better than Holcomb or Bollinger....

    The POINT - which you continuously miss - is that other options were there, and in many cases were - arguably - better options than Chiller brought in. Had we brought in Kitna or Garcia in '06, do you think Jackson would have been starting? I don't. Would Jackson stood a better chance of developing? Maybe.

    So, again, the POINT is that Chiller failed to recognize what was available...and that's his JOB...while I, and many other FANS saw better options AT THAT TIME. And in hindsight, HIS decisions didn't get any better...and most of ours didn't get any worse.

    Pretty sad when the fan base is smarter than the Head Coach.

    Caine

  10. #30
    dfosterf's Avatar
    dfosterf is offline Coach
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    987

    Re: Why Shouldn't We Draft a QB In The 1st Round?

    PICK one.

    Stop complaining about your former coach, stop trying to one-up your fellow posters, and P I C K one and tell us why.

    That requires research. What a beeyatch.

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 2009 PPO FF DRAFT - Round by round - YARY Division
    By Zeus in forum Fantasy Football Talk
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 11-10-2009, 09:35 PM
  2. 2009 PPO FF DRAFT - Round by Round - ZIMMERMAN Division
    By Zeus in forum Fantasy Football Talk
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-10-2009, 09:07 AM
  3. 2009 PPO FF DRAFT - Round by Round - TINGELHOFF DIVISION
    By Zeus in forum Fantasy Football Talk
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-09-2009, 01:26 AM
  4. 2009 PPO FF DRAFT - Round by Round - MCDANIEL DIVISION
    By Zeus in forum Fantasy Football Talk
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-04-2009, 02:23 PM
  5. NFL Draft 2006 round-by-round summary
    By Prophet in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-02-2006, 12:49 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •