Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Why Shouldn't We Draft a QB In The 1st Round?

27 QBs taken
    12 Quality (green) 44%
    9 Absolute Busts (red) 33%
    3 guys that are still possibly Quality picks. (orange) 11%
    That leave 12% unimpressive.

Only 2 of the 1st rounders won a Superbowl Ring. Brees, a 2nd rounder has a Ring.

I didn't know how to classify Leftwich and Boller. Leftwich could have been a quality pick. He did well for years, just got replaced on leadership by Gerrard. Boller was adequate, not a bust and not great. At pick 19, Boller did enough, it is worth a debate. Leftwich and Boller were part of the 12%, maybe they shouldn't have been.

Just under 50% chance to get a QB that at the very least can play in the NFL and do well. 33% chance you will get a total bust at QB. I would say draft that QB. How deep is the QB position this year, that would increase the odds a bit.

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni

Quote Originally Posted by "Zeus" #1081297
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1081249
    You know what really pisses me off when it comes to the 2005 draft?

The Vikes had two chances to get young Rodgers and opted for the likes of Erasmus James and Troy Williamson.
    You know what really pisses me off when it comes to the 2000 draft?

The Vikes had six chances to get young Brady and opted for the likes of Chris Hovan, Fred Robbins, Doug Chapman, Tyrone Carter and Troy Walters.

You know what really pisses me off when it comes to the 1979 draft?

The Vikes had two chances to get young Montana and opted for the likes of Ted Brown and Dave Huffman.

You know what really pissed me off when it comes to the 1964 draft?

The Vikes had 10 chances to get young Staubach and opted for the likes of Carl Eller, Hal Bedsole, George Rose, Tom Keating, John Kirby, Bob Lacey and Bill McWatters.

Get my point, Marty?

=Z=
    better pissed off, than pissed on!

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "snowinapril" #1085767
    27 QBs taken
    12 Quality (green) 44%
    9 Absolute Busts (red) 33%
    3 guys that are still possibly Quality picks. (orange) 11%
    That leave 12% unimpressive.

Only 2 of the 1st rounders won a Superbowl Ring. Brees, a 2nd rounder has a Ring.

I didn't know how to classify Leftwich and Boller. Leftwich could have been a quality pick. He did well for years, just got replaced on leadership by Gerrard. Boller was adequate, not a bust and not great. At pick 19, Boller did enough, it is worth a debate. Leftwich and Boller were part of the 12%, maybe they shouldn't have been.

Just under 50% chance to get a QB that at the very least can play in the NFL and do well. 33% chance you will get a total bust at QB. I would say draft that QB. How deep is the QB position this year, that would increase the odds a bit.
    Overall, nice job. I still think it's foolish that people would believe that addressing the QB situation in the first round is a bad idea. I mean we drafted a WR in Harvin in the first round and no one b*tched. The most important position on the field and we are too cheap to address it with a first round pick? Hell, if I was in charge I would draft Mallet and trade up for Ponder. One of them would have to be a stud right? :laugh:

In all seriousness. QB is important and we need to address it. It's our biggest need. We have no one of starter ability on roster next season. The oline can be address in the later rounds. We have talent on our oline. We have no one @ QB. Please, please draft a damn QB (Hopefully not Luck because he is due 90 million over 7 years...lol lol lol salary cap hell)

SharperImage is offline Hall of Famer

Ryan mallett will be the future QB for the Minnesota Vikings.. he is like a better big Ben

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I am going to go the other way and say that the number one thing we need to do this year in the draft is to take the best CB or Safety that is on the board. Then we need to focus on the secondary and OL as they are both in desperate condition.

I really feel we are in such bad shape after the Chiller era that we will be at the bottom of the division for the next few years and will have a few shots at drafting a QB closer to the top next year.

This is my rationale:

We are in a QB driven division with the likes of Rodgers, Cutler and Stafford (If he can stay healthy) and in facing those 3 teams for 6 games a year we really need to have quality CB's and safeties to help neutralize them. The only way I would draft a QB is if by some chance we have one available that is so sure to be what we are looking for that we just can't pass them up. You have to remember that we don't even know at this point what type of offense we will be running next year and we really need to make sure we get one that not only is talented, but also that their skill set will match what we need them to do.

We can get by next year with a guy like Orton etc. if the right QB isn't available but for sure the OL and the secondary NEED to be bolstered if this team is going to go anywhere in the next 4-5 years.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "Zeus" #1081297
    Get my point, Marty?

=Z=
    No I don't........

You know what really pisses me off when it comes to the 2000 draft?

The Vikes had six chances to get young Brady and opted for the likes of Chris Hovan, Fred Robbins, Doug Chapman, Tyrone Carter and Troy Walters.
    All this tells me is our scouting staff goofed on everyone but Hovan and let a HOF QB walk.

Nope, still don't get your point. The staff sucked at scouting.

Do I need to break it down for each draft for ya?

In the end, talking reality about who our QB could be right now, our scouting staff elected to take the likes of Troy Williamson and Erasmus James instead of Rodgers.

That meant they thought that Troy Williamson was the 7th best player in that draft. WOW.

Then, to add injury to insult, they thought that Erasmus James was the 18th best player in that draft. WOW.

Lets look, that draft class was pretty loaded with talent. Even I could have made better picks....

8 8 Antrel Rolle Cardinals DB Miami (FL)
    9 9 Carlos Rogers Redskins DB Auburn
    10 10 Mike Williams Lions WR USC
    11 11 Demarcus Ware Cowboys DE Troy State
    12 12 Shawne Merriman Chargers LB Maryland
    13 13 Jammal Brown Saints T Oklahoma

18 18 Erasmus James Vikings DE Wisconsin
    22 22 Mark Clayton Ravens WR Oklahoma
    24 24 Aaron Rodgers Packers QB California
    27 27 Roddy White Falcons WR Alabama-Birmingham
    28 28 Luis Castillo Chargers DT Northwestern
    30 30 Heath Miller Steelers TE Virginia
    32 32 Logan Mankins Patriots G Fresno State

Get my point?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

It was one performance. It was solid, but far from the point where you abandon the quarterback position altogether in the 2011 draft.

If a quarterback is available when you select in the draft, you take the shot and move Webb to a position where he can do more damage with the ball in his hand. If one is not available, letting Joe Webb manage a season wouldn't be the worst idea.

Joe Webb: Does He Alter The Minnesota Vikings' Draft Plans?

Sure wish we could see him play next week. That would give us 3 games. Again not enough to really make up ones mind but it would help me.

If he played well enough, you might be able to (at 14) skip the 4th best QB, take a topflight DT, LT, WR, and get a QB with your second like Ponder.

In the end, you don't ignore QB in next years draft, or the year after for that matter.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

No change in my mind. Fill the CB and OL needs first and take a QB in 2 years after the foundation is stabilized.

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324