Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Why Shouldn't We Draft a QB In The 1st Round?

I have been reading the boards and I keep coming posters that believe that you should not address the QB position with an ELITE prospect in this years draft. Honestly, I am left baffled as to why so many of you believe that we have a greater area of need. Have we learned nothing?

I will like to disprove a few myths.

Myth number #1:
    We have bigger area of need!

Wrong! The lack of a franchise Qb is the number one issues plaguing this team. We have amazing depth at the DL position. Many of you are not please with our interior DL linemen but honestly there has been no real drop off in production in the defense.

PPG(21.7- 19.5), YPG(308 - 306), RYPG(92.5 - 87.1), PYPG(218 - 215)

The only really change has been sacks and turnovers. I believe both of these areas are tied together as we are not a huge INT team. Our turnovers tend to come off of sack-fumbles or fumbles caused due to intense pressure. Last season our offense held up its end of the bargain and we were able to play from ahead in most games. This allowed our defense to put more pressure on the QB. More pressure = more sacks + turnovers. This season we are playing from behind. However, the stats show, we haven't lost much.

Don't get me wrong, an improvement at safety would be great. However, it is nowhere as important as having a Elite field general. That's like buying $10,000 rims and your car is dead.

Myth number #2:
    We have a QB on the roster than can take us to the Superbowl.

We don't period. TJ may be a good QB. However, if Qbs like Brees, Manning, Brady and the likes are struggling to make it to the Superbowl, TJ is far from a lock to do so. We need to get an elite Qb and the best way to do so with an early 1st round draft pick. In the past few years they Qbs drafted early have looked poised, polished and everything they were billed to be.

Players like Bradford, Stafford, Freeman, Sanchez, Ryan, Flacco look like they will make their teams competitive for years to come.
    Sure there has been some misses in Russell and Quinn, but that's still a pretty good percentage, I wager its about the same for all other positions.
    However, there is no position more important on the football field.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Why Shouldn't We Draft a QB In The 1st Round?

Quote Originally Posted by "kevoncox" #1081016
    I have been reading the boards and I keep coming posters that believe that you should not address the QB position with an ELITE prospect in this years draft. Honestly, I am left baffled as to why so many of you believe that we have a greater area of need. Have we learned nothing?

I will like to disprove a few myths.
    Do you opinion instead of myth? Besides, I thought you were on the same bandwagon I am on.......That bandwagon being draft BPA and not to draft for need.

Anyway......Love the idea for the thread......

Myth number #1:
    We have bigger area of need!

Wrong! The lack of a franchise Qb is the number one issues plaguing this team. We have amazing depth at the DL position. Many of you are not please with our interior DL linemen but honestly there has been no real drop off in production in the defense.

PPG(21.7- 19.5), YPG(308 - 306), RYPG(92.5 - 87.1), PYPG(218 - 215)

The only really change has been sacks and turnovers. I believe both of these areas are tied together as we are not a huge INT team. Our turnovers tend to come off of sack-fumbles or fumbles caused due to intense pressure. Last season our offense held up its end of the bargain and we were able to play from ahead in most games. This allowed our defense to put more pressure on the QB. More pressure = more sacks + turnovers. This season we are playing from behind. However, the stats show, we haven't lost much.

Don't get me wrong, an improvement at safety would be great. However, it is nowhere as important as having a Elite field general. That's like buying $10,000 rims and your car is dead.
    We have two issues this year. QB play and DL play. Not sure how you went down S play as being more critical than those two.

I don't have the guys scouted yet, but if you have a QB that fits the scheme that can be considered a "Franchise" guy, surely you should take him.

However, if there is a dominant DLmen (or a guy who can anchor your LT spot for 10 years) that would help improve our pass rush/QB pressure/Run stopping ability, you could take him there as well.

Myth number #2:

We don't period. TJ may be a good QB. However, if Qbs like Brees, Manning, Brady and the likes are struggling to make it to the Superbowl, TJ is far from a lock to do so. We need to get an elite Qb and the best way to do so with an early 1st round draft pick. In the past few years they Qbs drafted early have looked poised, polished and everything they were billed to be.

Players like Bradford, Stafford, Freeman, Sanchez, Ryan, Flacco look like they will make their teams competitive for years to come.
    Sure there has been some misses in Russell and Quinn, but that's still a pretty good percentage, I wager its about the same for all other positions.
    However, there is no position more important on the football field.
    How do you know that?

Are you trying to say that TJ got to a level that we saw in 2008 and has not progressed?

Freeman, Sanchez had issues thier first year. Ryan had a step back last year. Bradford hasn't done anything but show flashes and then get hurt but all of them showed progress the next year. I wonder why you don't think that TJ is capable of getting better.

Again, if the scouting staff does thier job, they will be best served to take the BPA with the first pick instead of the typicall thought process of "Draft a QB" mentality that fans like to hear/chat about.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1081018
    Freeman, Sanchez had issues thier first year. Ryan had a step back last year. Bradford hasn't done anything but show flashes and then get hurt.
    I think you meant "Stafford", not "Bradford".

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "kevoncox" #1081016
    Myth number #2:
    Who, Joe Webb?

Because - as I've said over and over and over again - he's the only QB under contract beyond 2010.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Quote Originally Posted by "Zeus" #1081019
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1081018
    Freeman, Sanchez had issues thier first year. Ryan had a step back last year. Bradford hasn't done anything but show flashes and then get hurt.
    I think you meant "Stafford", not "Bradford".

=Z=
    I did. Multitasking at work today.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Infidel is offline Star Spokesman

BPA is an ok strategy to a certain point.

That point being when he fills a spot that we don't need filled.

That's inefficient use of our pick.

There might be exceptions if the player is, for example, a huge talent that we know wants to stay in this area.

Otherwise, no.

We have plenty of spots to fill, so I don't see this as a big problem anyway.

As for the QB.....it could go either way. I don't think even the coaches crystal ball is clear enough to see an answer.

We've invested time, money and training in Webb.....and we hope for a payoff.

We will go with best guess as to the competency of TJ and the potential of Webb.

We need either a new superstar from the draft or to trade for a talented veteran to vie with TJ for the starting job while Webb learns his trade.

Either could work or be a disaster.

All bets are off if Favre finishes this year with play at a high level.
    It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.
    --John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by "Infidel" #1081036
    BPA is an ok strategy to a certain point.

That point being when he fills a spot that we don't need filled.

That's inefficient use of our pick.

There might be exceptions if the player is, for example, a huge talent that we know wants to stay in this area.

Otherwise, no.

We have plenty of spots to fill, so I don't see this as a big problem anyway.

As for the QB.....it could go either way. I don't think even the coaches crystal ball is clear enough to see an answer.

We've invested time, money and training in Webb.....and we hope for a payoff.

We will go with best guess as to the competency of TJ and the potential of Webb.

We need either a new superstar from the draft or to trade for a talented veteran to vie with TJ for the starting job while Webb learns his trade.

Either could work or be a disaster.

All bets are off if Favre finishes this year with play at a high level.
    We don't have squat invested in Webb. Just like we have the bare minimum invested in TJ.

If both wind up as busts, who cares.

The bigger issue here is that if TJ isn't gonna work out, we are basically starting from scratch next year. Like it or not, the Noodle will not be an option, regardless of how well he plays going out the door.

Heck, just look back at last week. When AD went down, I bet everyone was thinking.....Pass pass pass. Instead the current staff plodded along with the backup running back and ran ran ran.

To me, thats a clear indicator of what type of offense Leslie will run if he is the HC for the long term.

Randy Moss is offline Pro-Bowler

This is a deep quarterback class with two to four QB's who may have NFL quality talent (Luck, Mallet, maybe Locker, maybe Ponder). This year will likely result in a high pick. Therefore, the 2011 NFL draft is where we should get our QB. If we have a top 15 pick we might even be able to get one of the top 2 without trading.

Dude. I am totally with you. Can't believe how good Bradford has looked this year.

Infidel is offline Star Spokesman

Marrdro said:

Heck, just look back at last week. When AD went down, I bet everyone was thinking.....Pass pass pass. Instead the current staff plodded along with the backup running back and ran ran ran.

To me, thats a clear indicator of what type of offense Leslie will run if he is the HC for the long term.
    To me, it's a clear indicator that Leslie is:

1. NOT stupid and...

2. Will run whatever he needs to run.

When you're ahead and your running game is working....it sure would be stupid to pass, wouldn't it?!

That's exactly what was going on last Sunday.

They called a smart game.

Didn't surprise me.

The smart people have taken over. Long live the smart people.

And yes, we do have a lot invested in Webb. He has taken a spot and received training that could have gone to someone else.

I predict that it will pay off. I sure hope it does.

Our most pressing need is a big, tough Offensive Tackle and if the best BPA is a Center or a Guard.....grab him....(or maybe THEM).
    It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.
    --John Wooden

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast